Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 21:09   #16

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
Re: Making offer on Catalina 36

Things look good. A few blisters near the bow, but nothing big enough to raise any alarms. Will have to take care of them when I haul it for bottom painting next year. Found a loose life line stanchion and a few mast stays that need to be sealed. Engine worked like a champ and the sails operated with ease. The overboard discharge valve for the CHT is seized. The surveyor was not concerned and believes I can get it unstuck with a bit of work. It will mean I cannot dump while out on the high seas for now, but I am ok with that for the present.

Sails in good shape, though we did find that the main had a modification that none of us could figure out. We are going to request that the seller have the sail returned to its traditional shape before transfer of ownership.

An awesome experience. Had the surveyor on board for the sea trail and he was able to really dig in to the engine. Both battery banks are serviceable, but I am considering a switch to nickel/iron for the cabin power when it comes time to change them out. Will have the actual report in a couple of days and then it is almost ready to finish transfer then.

Really got to go over the interior as well. Lots of storage and cushions need some cleaning. Lots of wood with dark finish. Will probably refinish it in a lighter tone for a brighter cabin.

Aside from the sail and a couple of blisters, she is ship shape and serviceable. There is so much that was covered today, I cannot enter it all in here. Learned a ton, had a great day crawling all over an older...but lovely lady and had some good times out on the water.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 21:27   #17

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

"Learned a ton, had a great day crawling all over an older...but lovely lady and had some good times out on the water."

klmmicro, you're setting yourself up with that comment.

OutOfControl
Old 18-12-2013, 08:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
"Learned a ton, had a great day crawling all over an older...but lovely lady and had some good times out on the water."

klmmicro, you're setting yourself up with that comment.

OutOfControl
Aye, that most likely be so
Old 18-12-2013, 09:29   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Sounds like things went very well....

AND.....

You had a good time too...

Even though you have some money invested now....Make sure you are paying a fair market price... This particular boat seems to vary wildly from "You're kidding" to "How bad can it be?"

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Sounds like things went very well....

AND.....

You had a good time too...

Even though you have some money invested now....Make sure you are paying a fair market price... This particular boat seems to vary wildly from "You're kidding" to "How bad can it be?"
Yes they did go well! I smell kelp beds and Avalon soon...all of my friends do as well

The price appears to be very fair comparing to similar boats on the market. There is another C36 on the dock. It has radar and a water maker...and is almost twice the price. For the extra cost, I would not have to do any cleaning, but elbow grease is cheap and I can scrub things myself.

I have found 4 other C36's in the same price bracket that are equipped similarly and are about the same condition. They are some distance away and would require that I find a slip. It appears that I am getting a good deal, though maybe not "smoking". Solid is how it would be best described.
Old 19-12-2013, 08:31   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
Yes they did go well! I smell kelp beds and Avalon soon...all of my friends do as well

The price appears to be very fair comparing to similar boats on the market. There is another C36 on the dock. It has radar and a water maker...and is almost twice the price. For the extra cost, I would not have to do any cleaning, but elbow grease is cheap and I can scrub things myself.

I have found 4 other C36's in the same price bracket that are equipped similarly and are about the same condition. They are some distance away and would require that I find a slip. It appears that I am getting a good deal, though maybe not "smoking". Solid is how it would be best described.
Sounds like you're making a pretty good deal... Radar packages can be had extremely reasonable for the peace of mind they provide... You won't need it "until you need it", but it opens up a whole new world with regard to when you can go to the island.... More often than not, I leave after dark on the way over because I: A)enjoy night sailing B)can...

Don't add one right away, but think of it seriously down the line a bit.... Watermaker is useless for what you are going to do with her right now....

Solid is a fantastic place to start from ! Not sure about Avalon, but winter rates in Two Harbors are the 2+2 deal.... 2 nights + $2 gets you a free week... About $70 for 9 nights on a can for your size...

You're going to be in SD, Oceanside or Chula Vista right???

Keep us updated!

Old 19-12-2013, 08:45   #22

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Congrats on your purchase. I had a C36 and loved it! Only sold it because I got this wild hair to cross oceans, hence my current vessel. Have fun and frequent the C36 owners forum, as it will save you lots of time and effort.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:47   #23

Boat: Catalina 387

I've always liked the C36.. Too bad my current slip is too small.

If the boat is berthed in Oceanside and the slip comes with it, that's a major plus - as we all know finding a slip is the hardest thing about boat ownership in socal.

New cushion covers can lighten up the cabin with a lot less work than refinishing all the wood.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 18:22   #24

Slip included and it is in Oceanside. I grew up in the area and like North County better than southerly marinas, so it works out for me well.

Probably will be making fresh cushions for the salon sooner than later. I have an awesome upholstery guy that can create anything I can come up with. Just trying to decide on color. Want something that lightens the interior up, but does not show dirt every time someone thinks about sitting down...decisions, decisions! For now, the current ones will suffice.

Like shiny polished wood. Got used to making everything shiny in the Navy and it just stuck with me. I have plenty of time and can take one section at a time. Aft cabin is a starting place.

Will be completing the paperwork this next few days and should have everything finalized by first week of January. Been a lot of work just getting to this point...years in fact.
Old 22-12-2013, 10:43   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
Slip included and it is in Oceanside. I grew up in the area and like North County better than southerly marinas, so it works out for me well.

Probably will be making fresh cushions for the salon sooner than later. I have an awesome upholstery guy that can create anything I can come up with. Just trying to decide on color. Want something that lightens the interior up, but does not show dirt every time someone thinks about sitting down...decisions, decisions! For now, the current ones will suffice.

Like shiny polished wood. Got used to making everything shiny in the Navy and it just stuck with me. I have plenty of time and can take one section at a time. Aft cabin is a starting place.

Will be completing the paperwork this next few days and should have everything finalized by first week of January. Been a lot of work just getting to this point...years in fact.
Oceanside is a really nice little marina.....

ALTHOUGH..... It is a major butt pucker-er coming in at night if you don't know it well.... Background shore lighting makes if feel like you're already 10 miles inland in a McDonald's drive through before you make the hard to port entrance!

Re cushions... The interior of the Morgan was redone in a "light jade" green with a fabric that I thought was going to be... "not the softest" comfort-wise..... Think burlappy weave, but softer... 8 years later, they still look like the day they were done... AMAZING longevity.... I'll find some pics for you....

Good luck with the paperwork! And Congrats again!

Old 22-12-2013, 10:54   #26

Boat: Catalina 387

I just finished new cushions in my c30. Much better and brighter inside..interestingly, I'm planning a sail down to oceanside next week.

Congrats on the new boat. . If you're ever in Dana Point, I've always got cold beers in the fridge.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 23:54   #27

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Pictures? Excited for you!
Old 25-12-2013, 05:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
Pictures? Excited for you!
Indeed! I have them in an album on here, but not sure how to share them. Working on it!

Thirty Six Seas

I think that should do it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	72691   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	72692  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	72693   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	72694  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	72695   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	72696  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	72697   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	72698  

Old 25-12-2013, 10:08   #29

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Nice! I like the setups of the interior of the Catalina's. I almost bought one until my Cousin sold me his dufour.
Old 25-12-2013, 11:05   #30

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I have owned three Catalina Sailboats, a 1977 C27, a 1984 C-36 and my present boat, a 2007 C-470, which carried me from San Francisco to Florida over 33 months and 9500 NM with very few problems.

One thing I love about Catalina Sailboats is the strong owners associations. They are a wealth of knowledge! Within the Associations are local fleets, which usually plan cruise out or other activities round the boats. There are two C-36 Fleets in the LA Bay Area and one in San Diego.

Good Luck with your new boat!!!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36, offer