Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2008, 16:15   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
The new hatches are in (well, the 2 in the bow). This weekend we are pulling out the mast for the first time. My digits are crossed, believe me.

Old 29-05-2008, 16:50   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41 Ohana
Great post:

Thanks for the update Weylan.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 17:57   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
racer gone cruising

Welcome to the world of racer gone cruising..
And the wife keeps yelling "YOU CAN'T RACE THE HOUSE"
Hope to see you on the big water someday......
Good luck. randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	3708  
Old 04-06-2008, 17:59   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, they do say its like standing under a cold shower, tearing up $100 bills!

I pulled the mast out on the weekend. Actually, I worked on the boat all day Saturday, competed in the Sunday round the cans race on Sunday morning, then pulled the mast on Sunday afternoon, heh!

Pulling out a keel stepped mast that is 60' long with a crane that is only just over half that height is and "interesting" exercise.

I have discovered that every single halyard sheave in the mast needs to be replaced: Thats a total of 8 sheaves altogether... and, given the size of the sheave boxes, I am limited to the diameter and width of the sheaves that will fit, and given the loads these sheaves see, I am up for a fairly hefty bill for the new sheaves.

Interestingly, all the major sheaves (main, 2 x spinnaker, 2 x headsail) were all profiled for wire halyards (even though the spinnaker halyards haven't been wire since before I bought the boat. The surface of the sheave groove was pretty rough, particularly on the mainsail and headsail sheaves - I am currently running 10mm spectra for headsail halyards and it is amazing that the outer cover has not been damaged as a result of the poor condition of the sheaves and the inappropriate profile. I have a length of 11mm v100 vectran for the new main halyard.

The new sheaves are all Harken (not because I have any particular penchant for the brand, but because they are the right size), and by purchasing directly from Mauri Pro in America, even including postage, I paid well under half the price quoted by my local chandleries (which is something that frustrates and irritates me).
Old 04-06-2008, 18:12   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Riminds me of when we set the mast on my FIRST 42. around 65 feet long and I was down in the cabin setting the base, the crain is outside and were yelling at each other by way of another guy on deck.. about 1 foot short of the set, I had to reach up inside the base of the mast and pull the wires down for the electrics.. while I've got my arm up to my elbow fishing out the wires,
I had this odd feeling about the mast dropping and taking my arm off.. It didnt take long to get those wires out................
Old 09-06-2008, 16:07   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some days you are the dog, some days you are the fire hydrant. Yesterday was one of the latter. Having just spent 3 solid days sanding the mast (now pretty much done, bar a couple of spreaders. We got a professional mast rigger to come give us some advice on our slightly damaged haylard sheave boxes. These, he reckoned, were not to bad and could be repaired. He also said the mast was in very good condition. But... he recommended that we replace all our standing rigging... sigh there's another few thousand that I dont have right now.

Then again, on the other hand, I scored a couple of really nice planks of celery-top pine, for the price of 2 bottles of (cheap) shiraz, so that was a good score. I have ripped em through the bench saw into lovely battens and cleats.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:35   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Hey Weyalan!
I found this thread the other day and was enjoying reading it from the beginning when I suddenly twigged to the boat name --what's this, another Insatiable?-- and then the penny dropped! Perhaps you may recall meeting us at the Cygnet regatta, when we accused you of plagiarism (ho, ho). At any rate, your saga of developing a good ole IOR boat into a pukka cruiser has been well done (as has the boat). I'm sure that your careful depiction of the dramas, pitfalls and surprises of the conversion have been of great use to others who are contemplating such a hurclean task. Keep up the good work, and we look forward to seeing the results on our next trip to Tassie.
Cheers from Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable II, lying Broken Bay, heading north sooooon
Old 12-06-2008, 05:34   #113

Weyalan: I thought you had rod? If so, can you re-head and add longer screws?

Taking down the spar........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
But... he recommended that we replace all our standing rigging... sigh there's another few thousand that I dont have right now.
Old 12-06-2008, 17:17   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Jim, small world, huh? How are things going with you on board Insatiable II? We will look forward to having a beer with you on your next trip down south.
Old 12-06-2008, 17:28   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Joli,

Thats a beast of a mast! I thought ours was big enough (about 60', give or take), but that must be more like 75'?

The standing rigging is all 1x19 stainless steel wire, no rod rigging (I was scared off buyng an old boat with rod rigging - too hard to get insurance for the mast).

The rigger who inspected our rigging said that while there wasn't anything wrong with it per se, it was sufficiently old that our insurance company might kick up a stink if we lost the stick and refuse to pay out. Apparently he said that some of the fittings were early 90's (which didn't really fit with what I was told by the previous owner, but you kinda have to expect that, no?).

Anyway, given that having the mast out of the boat gives us the best opportunity to replace the standing rigging, we have decided to take the rigger's advice and replace the lot. Our insurance company will be happier and, more importantly, we will be more confident and safer.

We put the first coat of suitably thinned etch-primer (Wattyle EP-Universal) yesterday. 2nd coat tomorrow, 3rd coat Saturday. On Sunday we are going to have to move the mast because we can't spray-paint where it currently lies. We have hand painted the etch primer, but the high-build coats and top coats are getting sprayed on.

The new combination steaming / deck light arrived in the mail, and I have the reel of wire for the new wiring up the mast (masthead tri-color, anchor light, steaming light, deck light) I need to pick up some co-ax for the masthead VHF; which will, no doubt, cost an arm and a leg. I have made a mounting bracket for the new wind instruments from a piece of 80x80 aluminium angle hooked out of a scrap bin at the local engineers!

I have also got a source for some teak, which I'm very happy about... I think I'm gonna get enough for the 3 hatch frames and new side-window frames, for the princely sum of... 1 bottle of Bundy rum! Given all the expenses associated with the mast, it is nice to get a win here and there.
Old 13-06-2008, 05:19   #116

Hey Weyalan, sounds like your refit is going well. Always surprises with an older boat but aren't there?

Our spar is a little under 100 foot, we pull it every fall and set it every spring. It takes about 1/2 hour to set and another 2 hours or so to jack the rig and tune it. Hard work but it is nice to have the boat and and spar put to bed for our long winters. Must be really nice to be able to sail year round.

Polly swears the spar gets taller when the bumps and breeze are on.

Old 13-06-2008, 05:29   #117

Weyalan, we built teak hatch frames also, gotta do something if the deck has camber. I thought about building a mold and pulling a glass ring but ran out of time. The forward hatch was a slider and leaked regardless of what we tried, we ended up with a 4 foot by 4 foot Manship hatch. Pretty happy with it and it is quite nice not to have leaks.

Cheers,

Joli

Old 13-06-2008, 05:31   #118

One last note: check your chainplates.
Old 03-08-2008, 16:42   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yesterday evening we put the mast back in; about 5 weeks later than originally planned, but such is the way of boat refit

I slept well last night.

We sanded back the mast to bare aluminium, and painted 3 coats of etch primer. We actually paid a professional to spray paint the 2-pack high-build undercoat and 2-pack topcoat, but we paid for all the paint and did the sanding between coats and he charged only for his labour, so it was not too expensive. The paint job cam up great; we are competely satisfied

I also replaced all the halyard sheaves. the old ones were worn out (the bronze bushes were completely worn away) and wer actually profiled for wire, not rope. The only wire halyard left on the boat was the main halyard, which I have now replaced with 11mm Vectran. The new halyard sheaves are harken ball bearing sheaves (yummy), which I bought, from Texas, incuding freight, for about half what the local chandlery quoted. I also had to make new sheave pins. The old ones were, in my opinion, too small (3/8") so I bought sheaves for 1/2" pins. I made the pins with 1/2" 316 rod and 3mm plate, which I cut bent and shaped myself, although I got a welder to do the tricky TIG welding for me. The new sheaves and pins work beautifully. I also had to replace the sheave fitting for the spinnaker topping lift, which was completely knackered. The new one (harken micro) is great, lthough I had to go for a thinner topping lift (am now using 1/4" Kevlar, which I spliced and whipped myself; yay).

We completely rewired the mast too, and replaced the VHF aerial. I had a set of NASA Clipper wind instruments to install at the masthead, which I did, with a bracket made froma piece of 80 x 80mm aluminium angle and a couple of pipe clamps. I also bought a new steaming light / deck light combo and installed that with a couple of brackets that I bent out of 2"x5/32" aluminium flat bar.

The mast rigger we consulted advised us to replace our standing rigging... not that there was anything wrong witht he old stuff, but it was old (about 1993 vintage, we think) such that our insurers probably owuldn't have paid up if the stick had fallen over... so new 1x19 stainless forestay and shrouds (capshrouds, intermediates & lowers) were purchased and fitted. I had replaced the backstay when I bought the boat, so it is fine. I also took the opportuntiy to replace the old steel runners and checkstays with rope (3/8" Vectran for the runners, 1/4" vectran for the checkstays).

Apart from the new main halyard and topping lift, while we had all the halyards out, I spliced and whipped all the other halyards - i.e. standard double braid splices for the spinnaker halyards, core to core splices for the Spectra headsail halyards & topping lift and coreless splices at the bitter ends of all.

Lisa made some beautiful leather covers for the spreader ends. She soaked the leather and then moulded it to shape on the spreaders and bandaged it in place until it dried, which gave a really good fit - the leather was about 5mm thick, so it was a bitch to sew, even having drilled each sewing hole with a 1/16" drill, you still needed a sailmakers palm and a pair of pliers for every single stitch (and she broke or bent several large sailmakers needles in the process. But they look/work really well.

I drilled out the holes where the goose-neck and vang collar fitted onto the mast and tapped in new helicoil inserts. The old threads were quite worn so the bolts "rattled" in the threads a bit - not ideal for these important fittings. With the helicoil inserts, the bolts screw in beautifully and are stronger too.

We pulled out the 2-part collar where the mast goes through the deck. It was so corroded where the stainless bolts went through that we snapped the lower part of the collar in 5 places getting it out. I measured up for a new one and got it cut from 5083 plate (whichis probably stronger than the original casting). We sanded and painted both parts and they came up a treat.

We polished up all the various stainless fittings (bench-grinder polishing wheel and/or cream scourer and Alushine).

We had a real sense of satisfaction last night, having a couple of cold brewskis on deck after getting the mast in and roughly tensioning the shrouds & forestay (we will get a rigger to help us with the fine tuning. It has been a hard couple of months work... sometimes working until 1:30am (I get up at 6:00am) weeknights, and all weekends. But we are pretty proud of what we have managed, mostly ourselves.

Still, no time to sit back and sniff the roses... the head needs carpentry!
Old 03-08-2008, 18:09   #120

Congrats Weyalan!

Nothing quite as gratifying as a hard job done by yourself. Have a great first sail.

Joli

Tags
Racer Cruiser

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: