Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2014, 14:23   #31

Re: Maidentrip - Laura Dekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
One of the things I found interesting was how two people could view the same story so differently. It drove home to me how subjective perception is and how our experiences and expectations strongly influence perception.
Here is a fantastic look at this phenomenon.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/outside-westgate/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 17:39   #32

Watched this movie with my wife and we both enjoyed it very much.
Several thoughts not in order of importance.
Young people can accomplish much when they are determined
Young people can accomplish much when they have support around them
Young people are probably more fearless than older people
The age thing is an oddity to me... why the need to be the youngest?
The filmaker saw an interesting movie and this may have not been Laura's doing.. but being filmed had to have some impact on what she was doing.
Having commercial sponsors makes these things more doable.
Laura is wise beyond her years yet has a youthful exuberance. I find her to be a remarkable person.
The movie should inspire more people to go for "it" whatever "it is and this film bears witness to being able to achieve "it".
Laura was more mature than many people 2 and 3 and perhaps 4 times her age!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 17:49   #33

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Watched this movie with my wife and we both enjoyed it very much.
Several thoughts not in order of importance.
Young people can accomplish much when they are determined
Young people can accomplish much when they have support around them
Young people are probably more fearless than older people
The age thing is an oddity to me... why the need to be the youngest?
The filmaker saw an interesting movie and this may have not been Laura's doing.. but being filmed had to have some impact on what she was doing.
Having commercial sponsors makes these things more doable.
Laura is wise beyond her years yet has a youthful exuberance. I find her to be a remarkable person.
The movie should inspire more people to go for "it" whatever "it is and this film bears witness to being able to achieve "it".
Laura was more mature than many people 2 and 3 and perhaps 4 times her age!
I buy all that. While in the Pacific on her first loop she self taught herself to drive an old clunker stick shift car. This was found in her blog.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 09:33   #34

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
No matter her upbringing, she is flying high now.

Wow... she seems to have unlimited resources. She either must be getting sponsor, still? or perhaps inheritance? All those things cost money to do...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 09:40   #35

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Wow... she seems to have unlimited resources. She either must be getting sponsor, still? or perhaps inheritance? All those things cost money to do...

Maybe you work for the IRS and are investigating her? Otherwise, why is that important?
Old 28-12-2014, 10:11   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Maidentrip - Laura Dekker

Quote:
Funny enough as a 'Traveller'.. especially if your young.. female.. or male.. and interesting.. the world is your oyster experience wise.. the variety of folk one meets and fast friendships formed in the sailing community leads to all kind of unexpected adventures..
The common bond of Sailing is a great social leveller..
it works for old farts as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 10:58   #37

Quote:
As Boatman61 said, she is a likable sort who meets folks that take her flying, hang gliding, surfing, diving, and on and on. She has crewed on race boats and tall ships, all because people enjoy her company. Doesn't hurt that she speaks at least 4 languages, is capable, confident and is easy on the eyes.
Old 28-12-2014, 11:08   #38

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Netflix also has Wild Eyes, the Abby Sunderland story. What a contrast between the two girls! Abby is always looking totally stressed out and on the satphone to her parents, while Laura looks like she is having fun.
Yep... I think it's the difference between Abby's Dad wanting her to make a world record and Laura wanting an adventure. Laura certainly knew a lot more about her boat than Abby seemed to.
Old 28-12-2014, 19:07   #39

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Flying recreational aircraft is not expensive unless you purchase one. It's quite inexpensive and much cheaper than sailing.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 18:20   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Flying recreational aircraft is not expensive unless you purchase one. It's quite inexpensive and much cheaper than sailing.
I think you are the first person I have ever heard assert that flying is not expensive. Having been flying for almost 40 years now I guess I have to conclude that I've been going about it all wrong. Or maybe things are way different down under. Even renting a slow little two seat trainer isn't cheap and that's not even taking into consideration just how much it's going to cost to make yourself legal to rent the thing. Compare what it would cost to rent a plane for a week (say 25 hours on the Hobbs) big and powerful enough to take three buddies with you, to what it would cost to rent a boat for a week big enough to take three buddies with you. And then tell me how cheap flying is. There is nothing inexpensive about boats or airplanes.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 18:29   #41

At $130 an hour wet only $3250. Guess it is a wash.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:34   #42

Boat: Seaward 22

I caught it last night on Netflix. It was a good flick. Easy to sit in an easy chair and opine.

If she's happy, that's good enough for me. Not breaking laws. A young person could do a whole lot worse things.

Good for her.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 19:09   #43

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

...she is an impressive sailor and an inspiration for younger guys...
My total respect for her voyage...
Old 29-12-2014, 19:36   #44

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
I think you are the first person I have ever heard assert that flying is not expensive. Having been flying for almost 40 years now I guess I have to conclude that I've been going about it all wrong. Or maybe things are way different down under. Even renting a slow little two seat trainer isn't cheap and that's not even taking into consideration just how much it's going to cost to make yourself legal to rent the thing. Compare what it would cost to rent a plane for a week (say 25 hours on the Hobbs) big and powerful enough to take three buddies with you, to what it would cost to rent a boat for a week big enough to take three buddies with you. And then tell me how cheap flying is. There is nothing inexpensive about boats or airplanes.
Sheesh, sardinebreath, she went flying - I saw NOTHING about her purchasing an airplane or paying for lessons or anything else like that. I bet someone saw who she was and offered her the ride - FREE. Maybe if you brushed your teeth someone would offer YOU a ride, but only if you are nice, young and cute like Dekker is. And didn't eat sardines…...
Old 29-12-2014, 22:55   #45

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
'Flying recreationally' is not expensive no. It costs $124 an hour and anymore than two hours in such small planes becomes very uncomfortable. Taking three buddies, would not be recreational, it would require a private pilots license and the rental to something like a 175 C which the rental then jumps up to about $205 an hour. You only rent the plane for time it's operating too unless the club has sur charges.

Flying 'recreationslly' is far cheaper than owning and using a boat, it's cheaper than owning horses ( been there). Unless you go and buy a recreational plane, in which case you do so for convenience, then flying recreationslly for a sport is NOT expensive and is in fact one of the cheaper things you can do.

And flying recreationally is even cheaper than owning a car.. Think about that.

The picture showed Lauren in a recreational plane, not with three buddies. She may be learning to fly which is about $7000, Then $200 a year for the license, $500 a year for incidentals. That's a cheap sport. But, she may simply have experienced a flight with friends.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote