Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2007, 18:30   #1

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
Talking Made Offer on an Island Packet

Hey All,
I flew out from TX to FL this week to do a little boat shopping, hoping to find THE boat. After driving up and down the coast and looking at an endless list of Endeavours, Irwins, Hunters, Morgans and O'Days I finally found it.

She's an Island Packet 27 (LOA 30) and is in immaculate condition!! I put down my offer and deposit today and should be in the sea trial/survey stage within the next week or so. I didn't plan on making any offers while I was here but I fell in love the second I saw her.

Wish me luck. If everything shakes down the way I hope, I will be USVI-bound by the end of November - island hoppin', sippin' rum and livin' on the hook!
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 19:00   #2

Boat: Laguna 26
I've worked on a few Island Packets. Not to dis other brands but I found them to be very well built. To get a better boat you have to spend a lot of money.

Just my opinon

I hope everything works out for you on yours.

BTW where are you in N.Texas? We live in Bowie and worked at Cedar Mills on Texoma where Valiants are built for a while.
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 19:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Congratulations and good luck on your survey!

Now that you love the boat try to keep the emotions in check until after the marriage...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 19:38   #4

Boat: Brewer 44, 44 LOA - "Lady Hawk"
You will be happy with IP; nice heavy and strong construction; worth adding the things you need/want as it will be a good boat for a lot of years. We spent a week in Annapolis on one while doing the ASA101 Sailing class. It was a 32foot; very roomy with good storage options. Have you thought about staying in Florida? We switched our plans from Texas to Florida when we found our boat in Ft. Lauderdale. We love it here; great sailing options year round. Good Luck
Lady Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 20:03   #5

Hey Tex,
I'm about 30 min. south of you, near Denton. I live on Lake Ray Roberts in Sanger. I've been to Cedar Mills a few times looking at boats. That's probably my favorite marina on Texoma. I was working with Rick L. on my boat quest.

Hey Ex,
I know, I know. But it's sooo damn hard. If all systems and glass is in as good of shape as the shiny stuff on the boat, then she'll pass with flying colors. Still, it would be a heart-breaker to find out she had major hull or deck issues.

Hey Lady Hawk,
I hadn't thought about staying in FL too much. I'm ready to get further south and spend the season in the islands. I'm going to start out down the coast, hop over to the Bahamas and take my time getting down to the PR/USVI area. From there... who knows! I did my ASA-104 and PADI certs in Puerto Rico and can't wait to get back. Beautiful above and below the water there. I'm going to do a few shake-down cruises along the FL coast in November, so if I'm down your way then we'll have to get together.
Old 18-10-2007, 04:19   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40
Don't Miss Culebra

Congrats on the IP! Just wanted to suggest that you don't miss the Spanish Virgin Islands. Culebra and Culebrita are some of our favorite places.

Keep going south, and you may run into me. I'll be looking for an IP27.

Cheers,
Dan
S/V Eventyr
IP40-129
Island Packet 40 EventYr
Old 18-10-2007, 14:28   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Congratulations, and welcome to the IP club! You'll find that wherever you sail, other IP owners will stop by to say "Hello" and compare notes.

You may want to check out the Island Packet Discussion Group on SailNet. It's an email listserve, and the members are very generous with their support for new owners with questions.

All Forums
Old 18-10-2007, 14:29   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congrats and send us a picture!!
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 15:07   #9

Hey Frost, congratulations on the IP. I hear they are great boats. I'm still trying to get out of Titusville this weekend with any luck. We will try and keep a eye out for you along the way. Just wanted to wish you good luck.
Remember to keep the pointed end forward and the stick side up.
Drifter2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 16:27   #10

Drifter,
It was good meeting you and Ron this week. It sounds like he is going to keep the Endeavour and go cruising. We'll stay in touch and I'm sure cross paths somewhere in The Bahamas. You'll have to let me know your route and I'll try to find you along the way. I've picked up another crew member, making a total of 3 of us, so we might actually head out into the deep stuff for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP27.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1981  
Old 18-10-2007, 16:36   #11

Boat: Pearson 26
Congratulations, Frost! I'm probably at least 10 years (or more) away from being able to follow in your wake. IP27 is a beauty! Good luck and bon voyage!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 22:37   #12

Accepted

The seller accepted my offer over the weekend and we met for a short sail in no wind. My haul-out and survey is next Friday. If she checks out then I will be closing on it the same day.

I didn't think anyone would try to steal her from me while we were in negotiations, but was still hesitant about posting the ad. Now that we're past all of that, have a look and tell me what you think.
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Lady Hawk,
I have considered sticking around FL for a while and think I'm going to do that. I'm probably heading back overseas for about 3 months beginning in Dec and will make my journey southward when I get back. I also really liked the atmosphere on the east coast of central FL. Should make for a fun 4 or 5 weeks before going back to work.
Old 24-10-2007, 17:26   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I love that table! What a great idea! And it has storage inside to boot.

For the amount of time the table is used getting it completely stowed in such a simple way is very cool.

(dreaming about redoing my interior mode...)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet