Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 17:10   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I disagree with that..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 17:22   #47

Life is short. You're not going to lie on your death bed thinking "Boy, I really should have gotten an extra $900 discount on that Pearson because of that wet core". The boat's lasted 30 years - probably much of it with damp core. It's very likely to be about the same during the 3-5 years you might own her.

Second, don't focus on purchase price. Boats are expensive to own - even if you do a lot of work yourself, other stuff - insurance, dockage, broken stuff, engine work - adds up. Let's say $10,000 over three years for this boat - if you are honest (note: honesty is generally discouraged when discussing boat costs with your significant other).

Now, the test. What was your reaction to the $10,000 number? Did you think "Gee, that's a lot of money but I really want to buy this boat because it would be great to go sailing and I could fix it up and ......." - then welcome to the club

If you thought "Why the hell would I spend $10,000 on a $11,000 boat?" then you are too sane to buy this boat (or probably any other). Look into chartering.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 18:12   #48

Boat: Beneteau 311
Looks good to me.

Dang, I think I'll make an offer myself......

Just kidding,
Bill
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 19:17   #49

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex37 View Post
The survey was paid for by another prospective buyer a month ago. The boat was hauled and test sailed. Then the buyer backed out. I am buying the survey from that prospective buyer. I know, I know. There was a reason the other buyer backed out. There is probably a huge hole in the bottom or something. I still plan to test sail the boat. I would still like to know what I should be doing while on a test sail. Like what do I do? Sail it? I don't know how. Look around below? I hope I'm not wasting anyones time. With this post or with the test sail. I am, very much, looking forward to buying a boat and learning to sail.

Make sure the survey you are buying is from a 3rd party survey and no tone who works with the broker etc. And the other end of this is how much you are spending on the boat, over 10 grand worth getting a survey again maybe, also if you contact a NEW survey agent to go along on the test sail and review the wriiten survey with you may be an option.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29   #50

Boat: 1979 Pearson 28. Working really hard on a name. And a 1999 Regal 21 ft open bow
Thanks again for the help. I love this place.

We are rescinding our offer today. We are contacting a surveyor and making an appointment to look more closely at the moisture issue. He will be doing more moinsture readings and doing some tap testing. We plan on making a much lower offer later this week. I kind of want this boat.
alex37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43   #51

Brokers tell me that boats are going for 10 to 12% below listing now, but it is variable, some boats are listed for a lot closer to what the vendor expects. For what you should pay, what similar boats are going for is a good reference, but condition plays a huge part of this.

Sounds a bit like you are getting buyer's remorse before the fact. The boat is probably fine, and the survey is probably fine. Buying the survey should be costing you half of what the first buyer paid the surveyor, about $350 or thereabouts. Have you been in contact with the first buyer?

Bill
Old 09-04-2010, 09:41   #52

Boat: 1979 Pearson 28. Working really hard on a name. And a 1999 Regal 21 ft open bow
Well. we went ahead and bought the boat. We feel good about the price. We can't wait to start cleaning her up and learning to sail her.

I would like to apologize in advance for all of the rookie questions. I will seach for older posts before I post, I promise.

Thank you for your help.
alex37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46   #53

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II
Hey Alex;
Have fun and sail the snot out of your new boat! I try to sail the value to zero. For instance; A person pays 10K for a boat. The first sail costs 10K. Second is 5K and so on.
This is how I justify values to myself and it is fun doing it. Hope your sailing season is warm and long!
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55   #54

Well done. I made an offer on a boat a few days ago, we go see her in a week's time.

Exciting times.

Bill
Old 09-04-2010, 20:29   #55

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
OK. The next piece of advice is:
Go and use it now.
Don't do Like I and many of us do, and start a major refit or project first. You never know what you will find once you start looking for it, so go and use her first. Get good sailing her, and have a blast. Then and only then can you try and get any major work done.
I wish I had taken that advice my surveyor gave me when I purchased my boat.
In the end it won't matter, but in the short to medium term, I miss sailing her.
Bob