Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2008, 13:04   #76
Registered User
 
RickD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Posts: 233
update: We're going at 10AM to look some more.

I pretty much went over the boat for 4 hours on Thursday - any advice from anyone familiar with this particular boat that I should look for, good, bad or anything?
__________________

__________________
Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 13:09   #77
Registered User
 
Dudeman's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gunnison, CO
Boat: Wharram Pahi 31, Oh Be Joyful, ohbejoyfuljourney.blogspot.com
Posts: 42
mac

RickD, here's an opinion from a Macgregor 26D owner who lives in Gunnison, CO. From what you posted the asking price seems about $3500 too much especially with the economy right now.
When you look at it again really look over the sails main/jib. Look for holes and such. How old is the motor and how many horse power? Have the owner run all the electronics there while showing you where fuses are and such. It will save you a day's worth of work later. What's the trailer like? Is it a swing keel or does the keel drop down? What do they look like? If it still looks promising take him up on his offer to go for a sail. You'll figure out quickly if it's the right boat for you.
As far as living in Colorado I think it's the perfect boat to compromise trailerability as well as function. I leave mine at Blue Mesa Res. and it's no big deal to launch. During sailing season look for places to store close to the launch where you can leave the mast and sails on. It will save you $ in storage cost plus save a lot of time and effort when you want to go sail.
I was feeling the same last summer and opted to buy a C15 and learned how to sail on that. It cost me abouth $650 plus $70 in parts and I sold it this summer for the same price I paid for it. Very affordable and not as committing + you'll really learn how to sail and be more confident on larger boats.
__________________

__________________
Dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 13:33   #78
Registered User
 
RickD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Posts: 233
[quote=Dudeman;216221]RickD, here's an opinion from a Macgregor 26D owner who lives in Gunnison, CO. From what you posted the asking price seems about $3500 too much especially with the economy right now. [quote]

Wow. Ok. I know that the guy is trying to "finance" some other stuff, he's building a boat, hence the price. I honestly don't KNOW the prices - but I see there are a couple of the 26X models going for around 13-15k (newer, or a year old).

Quote:
When you look at it again really look over the sails main/jib. Look for holes and such.
I held off on sails and such yesterday, it was a bit breezy and cold and didn't want to make him undo everything right then. I figured if we were serious we would pull everything apart. He also DID offer to raise the mast and show it all - but I told him we'd put that off until later.

Quote:
How old is the motor and how many horse power?
Probably as old as the boat, and very small. It's only a putt-putt motorboat motor (about 9-10 hp) and not used for anything other than bringing the boat away from dock. Not very strong.

Quote:
Have the owner run all the electronics there while showing you where fuses are and such. It will save you a day's worth of work later.
Did that part already. One battery, small solar panel, not a very good charging system to speak of and he said it was "whatever is in the boat" - so I know to check that more closely. The electronics is limited, mostly lighting. A depth sounder/speed indicator. (I forgot the model at the moment)

Quote:
What's the trailer like?
Trailer, tires and hardware were in... actually, incredibly good shape considering the age. I was surprised. I asked about the braking system (it doesn't have an external system to connect to vehicle, just the hydraulic emergency braking system)

Quote:
Is it a swing keel or does the keel drop down? What do they look like?
The keel is a drop down keel, on a little rope system. Because the boat is on the trailer at the moment, I can't really see it other than what I could see under the trailer. I can't really make out much about it from crawling under either

The rudder is beat to crap, but functional. It's hit a few rocks or gravel, or concrete pulling it out of the water.

The tiller arm is hosed badly. It's dried badly, cracked and can't really be used, needs to be replaced before the boat goes out to be sure.

Quote:
If it still looks promising take him up on his offer to go for a sail. You'll figure out quickly if it's the right boat for you.
So you're saying "You take me out on it" so we can check it out in the water? Ok. Good idea.


Quote:
As far as living in Colorado I think it's the perfect boat to compromise trailerability as well as function. I leave mine at Blue Mesa Res. and it's no big deal to launch. During sailing season look for places to store close to the launch where you can leave the mast and sails on. It will save you $ in storage cost plus save a lot of time and effort when you want to go sail.

I was feeling the same last summer and opted to buy a C15 and learned how to sail on that. It cost me abouth $650 plus $70 in parts and I sold it this summer for the same price I paid for it. Very affordable and not as committing + you'll really learn how to sail and be more confident on larger boats.
I spoke to someone up around Blue Mesa a few days ago, and promised to call him back (thanks for reminding me) - he has a similar boat for sail, for a lot less (but it's also two hours away, over a couple of passes from where I currently live - and sounds like the boat is significantly older than this one....)

I also noted there are a couple other boats for sale in the Gunnison area. You familiar with them?

Thanks for the information, I'll print out your stuff so the wife can read it. She's the skipper of the house anyway - once she says "go" we go...
__________________
Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 13:36   #79
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
A lot of deep water sailers sneer ay the Macs. I dont - they dont suit me, but I am not blind to their features.

If you want to move your boat to new cruising grounds

if you sail inland or coastal

if you are happy driving her under big motor

If you are happy that at anchor or alongside she is very tender, and if you cough she will move.

If you can keep her at home so you dont have the berthing costs, and can thus offset the disadvantages of raising the masts each time.

If your car is good enough to tow this (and to use the slipways).

Then this boat has a lot to offer.
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 13:44   #80
Registered User
 
RickD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
A lot of deep water sailers sneer ay the Macs. I dont - they dont suit me, but I am not blind to their features.

If you want to move your boat to new cruising grounds

if you sail inland or coastal

if you are happy driving her under big motor

If you are happy that at anchor or alongside she is very tender, and if you cough she will move.

If you can keep her at home so you dont have the berthing costs, and can thus offset the disadvantages of raising the masts each time.

If your car is good enough to tow this (and to use the slipways).

Then this boat has a lot to offer.
Moving it is good.
We'll be on lakes, mostly Pueblo (which is not that big, but bigger than a lot of places here... it sure isn't Lake St. Clair near Detroit!)
She hasn't GOT a 'big motor"! LOL!
Not sure how I'll be about coughing and moving....
I can NOT keep her at home We have some idiotic city rules about 'parking oversized vehicles' whatever that crap means at your home. That's something that's bugging me about this.

He lives out in an area called Black Forest which is just outside the Springs and is considered rural - horses, cows and mountain lions frequent the roads... while 10 miles away, I live on the inside of the city limits where... horses, cows and the occasional black bear and mountain lion frequent the roads. I can't keep a mobile home at my house, I HAVE to store it.

MOST people don't have anything bigger than a pickup truck (this is another reason I'm sick of living in the city ..... ) anyway, this is one thing that's bothering me, I'm STILL going to have to store this boat when I am not working on it or using it - and if I bring it to my house, I have 10 days to move it (THOUGH, I CAN NOT locate the regulations that SAY this anywhere and no one seems to know where it's coded, and yet, cops give tickets for Mobile homes all the time..... Hmmmm)
__________________
Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 14:05   #81
Registered User
 
RickD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Posts: 233
Quick update on something I'm concerned about... storing a boat at my home.


I've FOUND the full text of the Colorado Springs codes... and there are provisions for keeping a boat or RV and other similar vehicles on private property. I'm more concerned that the across-the-street-neighbor (Who calls the cops if there is a piece of paper floating down the street and lands in someone's yard) will spend her waking hours making me miserable.
__________________
Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 14:11   #82
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
You may be the only person who knows that!
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 14:13   #83
Registered User
 
RickD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Posts: 233
You saying no one else bother to read legalese? /chuckle
__________________
Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 17:13   #84
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Rick,

Have you been an active boater before? The reason I ask is that for many people a boat is a commitment. You seem to indicate that at $8,500 you will be financing this boat. You also indicate that paying storage fees is not something that you think is cool. You also indicate that you aren't positive that you Jeep can tow it. Just some things you've said that you need to keep thinking about.

If the boat is stored off-lake. A day of sailing requires getting up, getting to the storage facility, hooking up, towing to lake, setting up, launching and then doing everything in reverse to go home.

The tragedy would be to buy the boat and because it not convenient, you don't sail enough. The next level is a dock stored boat. We sail 3 times a week at least because the marina is fairly convenient and we can get the boat underway in 5 minutes.

My brother bought a 15 foot dinghy - a Force 5. He paid about $1,000 for it. It tows easy, stores at home, rigs in 10 minutes and can go in just about any lake you want. Just an alternate idea.

If you find you get a lot of use out of the dinghy then maybe you trade up later. You may not be able to do overnighters but we have had many fun days on the lake BBQing, picnicing and doing dinghy rides.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 19:29   #85
Registered User
 
RickD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Rick,

Have you been an active boater before? The reason I ask is that for many people a boat is a commitment. You seem to indicate that at $8,500 you will be financing this boat. You also indicate that paying storage fees is not something that you think is cool. You also indicate that you aren't positive that you Jeep can tow it. Just some things you've said that you need to keep thinking about.
No. We haven't been. We're learning. Problem is that we're also SAVING money for the "break away" hehe. We've not yet made a finish decision on this and certainly a small dinghy is an option, and we've not yet ruled that out

Quote:
If the boat is stored off-lake. A day of sailing requires getting up, getting to the storage facility, hooking up, towing to lake, setting up, launching and then doing everything in reverse to go home.
Yeah, these are all things we're discussing. This is a "group decision" between my wife and I, so we're looking at this as well.

Quote:
The tragedy would be to buy the boat and because it not convenient, you don't sail enough. The next level is a dock stored boat. We sail 3 times a week at least because the marina is fairly convenient and we can get the boat underway in 5 minutes.
The storage thing is less of an issue this second. I went through the Colorado Springs codes today with a fine toothed comb. Not only can I store my boat here on my property (I have a space for it) I don't have to "hide it" (by building a new fence or something) or covering it up with trees (yes, they expect people to do stupid things like that around here LOL!) and it's only going to be a problem for the lady (and I use that term very loosely) across the street. She's a ... pita about anything.

Quote:
My brother bought a 15 foot dinghy - a Force 5. He paid about $1,000 for it. It tows easy, stores at home, rigs in 10 minutes and can go in just about any lake you want. Just an alternate idea.
This is an option, we've discussed it and not ruled this out.

Quote:
If you find you get a lot of use out of the dinghy then maybe you trade up later. You may not be able to do overnighters but we have had many fun days on the lake BBQing, picnicing and doing dinghy rides.
Either way, we expect to get a LOT of use out of whatever we get, because we've already got plans to do this.

Essentially, our problem is less of money than it is "saving money".

We're planning to retire before we're going to be able to draw on our various savings plans and my retirement pay - so we're doing our best to save as much real money NOW (and pay some bills we still have off in the next 1.5 years). Financing a boat wouldnt be a bigger strain or anything, just an extra thing we're looking at and trying to weigh the pros and cons of it...

Since I won't be gettiing my real retirement pay before 60 and can't hit the ira before 59.5 we're doing other methods of making sure we can support ourselves when we head out

Anyway, I'm kind of up in the air about buying a boat for nearly 10k - then being able to later sell it for what I bought it for (seems like a lot of people are saying that you ought to be able to get close to that around here and other forums).....

So... the only issue we're having is 'should we buy this boat, that boat or some other boat'....

Hope that clears things up
__________________
Rick Donaldson, CET, NØNJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 18:38   #86
Registered User
 
VA-Y-MEL-O's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: QUEBEC, CANADA (outskirts of MTL)
Boat: MACGREGOR 26M
Posts: 13
Images: 3
With the New Mast raising system, one person can do it without to much effort. My spouce put it up by himself just 3 days ago for the first time once he launched it in the water.
__________________
THY_BEAU

VA-Y-MEL-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 19:24   #87
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
My first sailboat was an aquarius 23. It trailered, had swing keel 4'6 down, 11"draft up. Had full length glass encased lead keel was fully seawothy and ballasted with keel up or down. I sailed boat to bahamas and tortugas (separate trips) every year for 12 yrs. Was way modified eventually but seaworthy to begin with. There's an active bunch of mid 20's sailors that race your local waters. I stayed at the maritime and yachting museum for a month last year. Made friends with gent that went to participate in the races weekly. Would be great practice.
Steve
__________________

__________________
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
macgregor

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.