Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 20:26   #61

Boat: Custom
Re: Lyle Hess 36

Thanks Jim, just what I needed. I know it is the right decision but am now going through the "will I ever find a boat" blues.

Thanks again

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 23:22   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'DAy At Sea, I thought it was gratuitous because it was offered without being requested and did not attempt to satisfy the OP's request for opinions on the "Hess" 36. That's what gratuitous means. I'm sure that your post was well meant, as most are.
G'day Jim. I do know what gratuitous means and, while you haven't quite captured its current usage meaning (ie, you've omitted the overtones), I think we'll let that one go through to the 'keeper.

But as far as not addressing the OP's query, my post #44 in this thread did outline my views on the vessel; the next was merely a followup.

But I am pleased we have finally all found common (but not necessarily wise) ground on the final judgement of the OP.

And to Jonathon123, I'd suggest that 2 grownups and 2 kids need at least 40 feet if you can afford it. Good luck.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 04:23   #63

Interesting, they have removed any reference to Lyle Hess in the advertisement.

Used Classic Bristol Cutter 36 for Sale | Yachthub
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 22:04   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

STILL BEAUTIFUL AND SWEET BOAT.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 22:30   #65

Boat: PETERSON 44

zee thats what i was going to say. Ill say it anyway still a good looking boat
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 23:56   #66

Very nice boat I agree, there were just a few to many things that didn't suit us.

Another time and place I probably would have been all over it.

Old 12-07-2011, 23:35   #67

Boat: Lyle Hess BCC 30'

Hi Johnathon, I have only just joined the group but read your query about the above. This prompted me to join! I have a 30' Lyle Hess, 38' LOA - which I have now been the custodian of for about two years. I must be Amish as I went looking for this type of boat, specifically made of Huon Pine and Gaff Rigged!!
I sailed it from Queensland to Victoria a few years ago and it was fantastic - probably the most sea-kindly boat I've been on. The stories about their speed are quite accurate as I frequently saw 6knts on the log. I'm pleased that the listing has been changed to delete mention of Lyle Hess as the keel is not of his design, I would think. As far as going astern is concerned, I'd like to see a new Olympic sport of full keelers going around the cans astern! I was pretty bluffed when I first got the boat and the only thing I cans say is that practice is very important and try to work with the prevailing conditions and not against them. Still challenging, but not impossible. Anyway, good luck with your search. I'll watch with interest. Once I work out 'how' I'll post some photos.
old gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 23:40   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by old gaffer View Post
I'd like to see a new Olympic sport of full keelers going around the cans astern!
This got a chuckle out of me. With my skeg hung rudder I might be able to do it on the port side but starboard I'd probably have to circumnavigate astern to do it!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 00:15   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

wood boats RULE..to bad most of us ie. 99 percent of the people that sail dont..if you can afford this boat BUY IT..unless you want to be like 99 percent of US who can not or do not want to afford IT. That is a bad ass sailboat man..why would you ask anybody a ? like that...you must like to see people SUFFER you sadomasacistic sumthingorother DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 00:28   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Maybe if you just chuck in a sleeping bag it'll be okay but have you ever tried to make a comfortable cot while kneeling on it? Just be aware that's what most QBs require.

On choice, it's true that the US has a bigger range but there's plenty enough here also, and it's very much the buyers' market. Two minutes on Yachthub came up with an Atkins 40 footer with a double and 2 single CABINS in triple diagonal cold molded ply built in 1976 for $20K less than the toffee apple you're looking at.

That would be a far, far superior vessel by every measure and entirely suited to you family setup and plans. Have a break on the Gold Coast and sail it back. It's here: *Used William Atkins for Sale | Yachthub
MAN I COULD JUST SEE YOU OR MAYBE ME (BECAUSE I WOULD JUMP ON ETHER ONE IF I COULD AFFORD THEM )GETTING WASHED OFF OF THAT GOOFEY LOOKING CHAIR IN A FOLLOWING SEA..BUY THAT HESS AND GIVE IT TO ME IF YOU DECIDE YOU DONT LIKE IT...COME ON MAN YOU CAN DO IT...GIVE IT TO ME ....PLEASE dvc
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 00:32   #71

Thanks all, hilarious, backward Olympic races.

A few things going on , might happen one day you never should say never!