Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2019, 02:31   #31

Re: Low Freeboard on Adams 45

Pretty sure i recognise this rust stain, if it's the one im thinking about its been sitting in Trinity Inlet Cairns for quite some time now....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 02:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Pretty sure i recognise this rust stain, if it's the one im thinking about its been sitting in Trinity Inlet Cairns for quite some time now....

Hah hah just the man I need to talk to tell me more....

thats exactly where it is.
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 03:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Boat View Post
Hah hah just the man I need to talk to tell me more....

thats exactly where it is.
Sorry MB can't help you with any info, i just know I've been passed it a few times, it's fairly distinctive....although I do seem to recall it having more birdshit on it before if that helps, maybe it's been spruced up since the last time i seen it
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 03:38   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

So somebody has been harvesting the guano?

Pity about that... there is money in guano....
Old 18-01-2019, 04:40   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Metal oat,
I think you the answers to your initial question, especially Jim Cate above. Hopefully the full surveys out OK. But even the survey is gonna be fun, you’ll need a dumpster just to get under the floorboards. LOL.

Please give us an after action report as you did on the other boat. Be interested to see what you find.

Frankly I’m not optomistic. I’ve been eyeing a well built 40’ Steel pilothouse that has some very peculiar “features” that would make most people run, but are a plus to us. I had a low ball price in mind when I looked at her. In a half hour I cut my lowball by 60%.

Superficially she looked good. However I found:
Chainand and Cockpit lockers rusted out from inside - $1,000 100 hours
Manual windlass - $4,000 50 hours
No reefer, never had one - $2,000 50 hours
No AP, very odd for a RTW boat these days - $3,000 50 hours
No usable electronics - $2,000
No roller furling - $2000 50 hours

So that’s $14,000 and 300 hours that is obvious
Double that to get a ballpark estimate of $30,000 and 600 hours. Ouch!

The $30,000 I can do, the 600 hours I can’t.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 04:46   #36

I am leaving tommorow to look at it I will take pics and give you a full rundown. If anything it could be entertaining.
Old 24-01-2019, 01:42   #37

Progress Update:

This boat turned out to be a severe disapointment and the seller was a pathological liar. It is a real shame and filled me with sadness how neglect destroys a once beautiful yacht. I really liked just sitting in the boat in the water and how stable it felt. Despite all this I learnt many new things about design, faults and how to identify untruths by the seller. When I decide to buy I will be more secure in putting money on the table after seeing what I dont want and knowing the market. We surmised he was a liar and wife and I correctly identified all the areas he was lying about before we left. Had a great time on the road trip and ticked a whole heaps of things off for the boss that she really enjoyed.
Old 24-01-2019, 03:01   #38

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I've heard the expression....... " buyers are liars" what do you call sellers that lie???
Sorry to hear that. Your boat is out there waiting for you when the time is right. Just not yet it seems.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 03:21   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I've got friends currently sailing around Asia in a superb Adams 45 center cockpit. Bloody brilliant boat. Wouldn't say the freeboard was all that low really, quite reasonable in my view, and that's from someone with with between 1.2 and 1.4 meters of freeboard on a 42 footer.

Their boat is nothing at all like the boat in the photos you posted (except the photos of the sample boat on the slips.)

Not surprised you were disappointed by the boat. I would never have bothered, looking at the photos you can tell it is totally shot.
Old 24-01-2019, 03:29   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Not surprised you were disappointed by the boat. I would never have bothered, looking at the photos you can tell it is totally shot.

I was dissapointed and saddened by the boat but I dont regret going to look at it and in my gut I knew before we left that we wouldnt be buying the boat. I suspect most of the deterioration has occured in the last two years.

The whole process was a massive learning opportunity, both about the boat and my purchasing technique.

I like the steel Adams 45 was impressed by the design and got to see one first hand, again the recent owners should be shot over their neglect, such a shame.

I have some pics but need to reformat them they are too big I will post when its sorted.
Old 24-01-2019, 04:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

They can go down hill fast. The other side of that is realization about the level of ongoing maintenance.

Our boats decks looked pretty 3 years ago when we left our marina and headed South. Once we hit open water, and especially last year doing a whole lot of bashing the water found every weak spot in the paint. Consequently I’ve just finished completly sanding the decks, removing all loose paint and anti-skid and reapplying. All done on the hook.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 05:00   #42

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Metal Boat, I'm sorry the boat didn't turn out to be worthwhile. I think you'll have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a good one. With few exceptions, boats always look better in the ad photos than up close and in person...

I know you're itching to fix up an inexpensive and large boat, but I can't resist offering a suggestion. Why not look for something smaller- something in the 35 - 37ft range? Everything you can do in a 45ft boat you can do in a 35ft boat. Buying a smaller boat in very good condition will cost less and get you out sailing now. Buy a high-quality smaller boat and then lavish love and labour on it to make it perfect. This way you'll get to satisfy the urge to fix up a boat and end up with a real gem at a much lower cost.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 07:36   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

You seem determined to buy something run down then spend alot of time and money restoring it?

Why not start from scratch and build something new. Theres some great cat builds that will give you build satisfaction, probably take no longer and be more profitable in the future.

Restoring or building isnt for me BUT if i had to choose I'd go the new build.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 22:54   #44

Hi Dale,

I am searching diligently for all sorts of options but I am definately coming down in size. Check out the Cascade 42 that I have found in my other thread, I have high hopes for this one, it is neat and very well priced.
Old 25-01-2019, 06:16   #45

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Going down is size sounds good. Most people start by thinking they need much more space than they do. There is an old addage that goes "sailing teaches you how little you need not how much". 35-40 is a good size for a couple unless you need space for work or other extras like scuba gear. Remember that big boat don't just need more gear but take a lot more time. Just on antifouling a 45ft will take twice as much time as a 35ft and anything bigger you will probably be hiring labour.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams