Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-04-2012, 11:27   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Low boom on an Alberg 30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Cabin top is sound, it had the metal plate upgrade to prevent that I am told.
Any ideas on a good bimini/dodger design to work around this? I would really enjoy standing room in at least part of the cockpit under shelter!
Does yours have an adjustment point at the front?
I have looked but could, like yourself find not what I thought would be an adjustable componet...My mast was made by C&C and Ted Brewer told me that was a good thing..some had different makes of mast and that may be my problem as someone mentioned something about more or less sail being an objective to some sailers...? when I first got the boat I didnt take the topping lift off and was sailing around with a mis-shaped sail but had plenty of head room,then I took someone with me that had lots more time at the rudder than I and he took it down and she did much better but she swept the cockpit clean of anything over four feet tall or so(good thing i am a midget..lol.. just kidding)There was a ad in the classified section a while back for a dodger for an Alberg,not sure which one but may still be avalible if you look back several months(3 or 4)..good luck..DVC

Old 30-04-2012, 19:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Many a boat with some age have been modified by previous owners. Best thing to do is find someone with an original rigging diagram (like a blueprint) that delineates mast height, stay and shroud lengths and sail dimensions.

Good luck!

kind regards,

Old 30-04-2012, 21:16   #18

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have looked but could, like yourself find not what I thought would be an adjustable componet...My mast was made by C&C and Ted Brewer told me that was a good thing..some had different makes of mast and that may be my problem as someone mentioned something about more or less sail being an objective to some sailers...? when I first got the boat I didnt take the topping lift off and was sailing around with a mis-shaped sail but had plenty of head room,then I took someone with me that had lots more time at the rudder than I and he took it down and she did much better but she swept the cockpit clean of anything over four feet tall or so(good thing i am a midget..lol.. just kidding)There was a ad in the classified section a while back for a dodger for an Alberg,not sure which one but may still be avalible if you look back several months(3 or 4)..good luck..DVC
In the opposite direction:
The last owner was living aboard without ever lifting the mast, with their propane stored up forward by the compass it means you can't step over the front of the cockpit, and must climb up, bend over and crouch (8 months at anchor that way!!!) Mine clears the deck clean as well. I will try to figure out the topping lift tonight. Having the boom over to one side made her a whole new boat, but not really feasible for a Bimini. Is it possible to make a bimini adjustable with zip in panels at the bottom or something?

I think that mast is like mine, I've realized that most Albergs I've seen in ads with big biminis are using topping lifts, which explains all the mentions of can't use sails with bimini up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Many a boat with some age have been modified by previous owners. Best thing to do is find someone with an original rigging diagram (like a blueprint) that delineates mast height, stay and shroud lengths and sail dimensions.

Good luck!

kind regards,
Sorry for the stupid question, but how woudl I go about measuring once I have that diagram? I'm going to dig through all the papers tonight when I'm onboard and see what I can see.
Old 25-07-2013, 18:37   #19

sorry this isnt about the low boom i was looking at the pics of antaresII
and ws wondering what make and model the windvane is

i just purchased a new to me 1966 alberg 30 #182 and am outfittig it to go cruising

really like the way you set up antaresII
Old 25-07-2013, 20:30   #20

Sorry, mine was Antares I. A friend just bought Antares II though. He liked mine and thought I was joking about my sale price until someone else bought it!
Antares II changed hands twice in the last few months. Pm me your email and I'll forward his contact info.
Old 26-07-2013, 09:21   #21

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I wonder what the statistics are ... noggin bumps ... per sailor ... per career ...
Old 26-07-2013, 17:12   #22

Oh forgot to add, I solved the mast mystery, a previous owner had the mast completely overhauled and modernized, the owner blue water spars even remembered doing it! Apparently he has a semi standard upgrade set for alberg 30s.

Tags
alberg, alberg 30

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: