Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 14:33   #1

Looking @ San Juan 21, Fixed Keel. Good Deal?

Hello All,

I am looking at a San Juan 21 with a fixed keel and trailer on Craigslist for $2600 and I am curious if this deal is to good to be true. I live in the PNW and would be sailing it predominantly in the Puget Sound. I am pretty new to sailing-I know how to and have my Basic certification-but this would be my first boat. I have been looking at boats for awhile now and I don't think I have come across a deal like this with a very clean boat AND trailer. Is there something that I should be aware of while looking at one of these boats?

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Jordan
tayex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 14:50   #2

Re: Looking @ San Juan 21, Fixed Keel. Good Deal?

Well I had a SJ21 my first sailboat. The fixed keel loses some of what is good about the boat: Trailerability and launching at a ramp... (unless you use a travelift launch) But it may sail a bit better. They are lightweight boats but fun.
BTW, there is one nearby me up here that I think is $2200 with trailer. I was thinking of offering him $1000, but haven't actually looked at it other than driven by. It's been in his yard for months. And I'm too old for a boat again. It's older and yellow though! I would name it "Bumble".... maybe paint bee stripes on it! (Skagit county)

Boats are hard to get rid of these days, so dont be afraid to make a ridiculous offer. $2600 is likely too much for a SJ21. Sail condition is important, look closely.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 15:19   #3

I, too, had one of these when I was younger. Great boat for daysailing. Good cockpit for company. Agree that price isn't a special bargain (although if it includes a newer outboard and good sails it could be). Also agree that you will want to keep the fixed keel version in the water.
Danm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:42   #4

Cheechako--I am in Stanwood, pretty close to Skagit County. Whereabouts is this sailboat you're referring too? Maybe I could do a drive by too!

Also, all, I didn't realize that you could not use a boat ramp with a fixed keel, I just thought the trailers were a little longer and elevated so that you could launch them that way. You're saying that I would have to get the boat lifted on/off the trailer and set in the water every time I wanted to use it?
tayex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 15:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayex4 View Post
Cheechako--I am in Stanwood, pretty close to Skagit County. Whereabouts is this sailboat you're referring too? Maybe I could do a drive by too!

Also, all, I didn't realize that you could not use a boat ramp with a fixed keel, I just thought the trailers were a little longer and elevated so that you could launch them that way. You're saying that I would have to get the boat lifted on/off the trailer and set in the water every time I wanted to use it?
With a real steep ramp, 4wd for sure and a long tongue you can often use a ramp. You might ask your seller. Some special trailers have extending tongues for launching.
Launching and retrieving is more work than many people realize; put the mast up (often 2 people), put the mainsail on, adjust the rigging tension, launch, Park the truck and trailer (fees sometimes), get everything ready. Sail. Often up to a 2 hour process really. Many I know launch in spring, pay moorage so they can get in and go, then retrieve for winter in the fall.

The yellow boat is in Mt Vernon (where I am). If you get off on College Way, go East. Left on Riverside Drive. Going North on Riverside get off on Hoag rd, just before the Skagit River Bridge. Go right (East) and the boat is maybe 1/4 mile on the left, right on Hoag road.
I know nothing about it or what it has with it!

I was cooking breakfast on my SJ21 in the San Juan Islands the morning Mt St Helens exploded. It rattled the boat. We thought it was blasting on the island nearby.

Old 11-01-2019, 15:52   #6

It's always good to look at more boats. The one you mentioned may be great if it has good sails, an engine etc etc. The yellow one may be good or not have a bunch of that stuff. So dont let me lead you astray! And most boats sell for a lot less than they are asking. Especially daysailers and small motorboats.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:10   #7

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

The SJ21 was a good boat in its day but built to a price. It is now an old boat, so condition of boat, rig, and sails is everything. The boat and trailer might be worth $2000, or free might be too much depending. Others have rightly pointed out that a fixed keel trailerable boat has substantial drawbacks as a trailerable. if you plan to launch it with a hoist, that won't matter. If you intend to launch it at a ramp, a centerboard or swing keel boat would be better. Have you looked at the Ranger 20? Solid little boat that is fun to sail and easy to launch.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:58   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

What kind of tow vehicle do u have?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 13:18   #9

Might want to look at centerboard boats. As already mentioned a keel boat is no laughing matter on the ramp. Because of the distance from water line to the bottom of the keel requires the trailer to have a long extendable tongue. If not... you could be up to your floorboards in salt water and the boat still not free of the trailer. I refuse to put my brakes on my dually diesel in the brine. I own two trailerable boats.

I can’t tell anyone how to think. But my experience tells me that a keel boat stays in the water and removed only at season end or when you travel to a new sailing venue like Sea of Cortez or Bahama

Ramps have their own evilnesses. Some are too steep and you need some serious horsepower/ gearing like 4x. Some are slime slides...some have drop offs at the end of the concrete that the trailer wheels fall off into the abyss. Some have launch times that have to be coordinated with tide. The list is long. You will learn the nuances quickly. It is not too daunting.

Every sailor on this org. Will tell you that if you want a good afternoon of cheap entertainment just go to the launching ramps and watch the mayhem of some unfortunate souls. I have two trailerable boats and I wouldn’t want a boat that resides in the water. You will save a ton of money owning a trailerable versus a brine boat. You can trailer to any area you wish to sail and then sail it and trailer it to the next. I could go on for pages of the advantageous aspects of trailerable boats. But they are small and not as comfortable as a brine boat. I can live with that. I have a Lavac toilet, Engle refridge, propane stove, and a regular size bed. Easily hit 10 knots in 15 knots. On a broad reach easily hit mid teens in 20 knots. What more could I want? Trailer boats rock!!
Old 12-01-2019, 13:26   #10

Oh, I forgot something. In alameda California they have storage areas for trailerable boats. The kicker? They have a hoist that is operated by the sailor. You pull your rig over to the hoist. Slip a couple of slings under the belly and up she goes and you drop her into the brine. You leave your rig up while on the trailer so you don’t have to deal with that BS. The rent for space is about 150/month. Smart way to go. I would be very surprised if your area doesn’t have something similar. Your area is full of marinas and a very active racing scene. Ask around.

Tags
keel, san juan