Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 20:02   #76

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Looking For Liveaboard's Couple New Boat

Steph, boats have no brakes...inspect every link of anchor chain. Then there the other thousand things...
No cheap surveyor......only Italys best after Googling and asking zillion questions.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 20:13   #77

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Blue Crab....I did it....I googled Blue Crab and dont take offence....YOU aint pretty...AT ALL!!!
Saw only two humans, a pretty girl and a er...stocky fishing guy.
If YOU are in fact the girrl in black top and cap then pls forgive me.
I like statistics you see....lots of cooking pot stuff...two humans.
Anyway, from now on i call you "Blue Crab"
Happy?
And what in Gods name did your statement have to do with Stephano's new life style, huh?
Old 27-12-2015, 20:51   #78

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The "plastics" question, for me when first read it seemed clear a reference to fibreglass boats.

Wasn't steel and aluminum mentioned earlier?
Old 27-12-2015, 21:05   #79

He loved the idea of aluminium but there were multiple zeros missing from his plan.
Steel, great for bouncing off reefs and beaches but rust never EVER...sleeps. Esp in the case of a €70,000 50 footer.
Done a fair bit of mig and stick on boats....how does spending 3 weeks every 52 ONLY trying to keep ahead of the onslaught...IF.. it doesnt sink in the first 2 years.
70,00 @ 50' ??? Nuh IN MY NOT HUMBLE OPINION..
CHEERS PS..cant see kboard too good...script virt impossible to check. 900mg Lyrica daily = eye symptoms Sorry bout rant.talk about thread drift.
Old 27-12-2015, 21:07   #80

Ps. Plastic is FOREVER !!!
OSMOSIS = NOTHIN'...i think.
Old 27-12-2015, 22:04   #81

Stephono, Four Winds question caused me to go back to your origional post.
Man, you said " occasional chartering, only way to earn some money" You said it yes?
Brother, later on i asked you to list your practical capabilities and you came up with an excellent list of "MARKETABLE = € EARNING" skills list.
Matey. You want to live on the boata and i know that you have EU legal skippering skills too. But why in Gods name can you not pick up work in boatyards to put Ciabatta/Pene diCasa on the table too?
Why not work occasionally Brother? Injuries, lazy, what reason you havea??
Why NOT bolster your coffers with a bit of sold blood and sweat occasionally??
Youre talented, you said so.
HUH, WHY NOT WORK OCCASIONALLY TOO? WHY NOT STEPHANO?
Old 28-12-2015, 02:52   #82

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Looking For Liveaboard's Couple New Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Blue Crab....I did it....I googled Blue Crab and dont take offence....YOU aint pretty...AT ALL!!!
And what in Gods name did your statement have to do with Stephano's new life style, huh?
Laura, it pains me to have to explain every little pun, jokette, allusion, pop culture reference, innuendo, intimation, adumbration, ad nauseam. Just cross me off as not funny; many do I'm sure. Personally, I crack me up but it's an acquired taste no doubt. Double tough to convey humor, especially humour, of course, on an international forum.

Moving to a more salient point, your comment,

Capiche Stephano?
Im getting a little, little worried. Little!
Steph' how you feel about praying to Mary ????? Every day from now on. For whatever you think that praying is worth.
BIG RULE Steph' DO NOT BUY A CHEAP SURVEYOR. YOU, possibly more than anyone else in Europe need the worlds best surveyor and hire a good mathematician also Brother.
None of us want to see you loose your pants over this "Herculean Leap di Stephano" . Tread with cold heart, no Italian emotion i think.
Are you back on Earth Brother?

suggests, to me, that you are finally getting with the program here. You jumped in the fray to help defend Stefano, but appear to have had your come-to-Jesus/Mary/Joseph moment, and are beginning to glimpse the real story here ... a story of day dreaming on the internet by a wannabe sailor without a real grasp of the boating scene or the charter biz. No harm no foul, but its 15 minutes are up for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crab hand.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	115729  
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 04:38   #83

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Just to know, when you go for the first time to give a look at a boat that is on sale, a "ride" is included? To check all the rigging, the engine, ecc
Nope.
Nor do you need to sail a boat to check rigging etc.

For the first visit, just look at the general state of the boat, and if you like the layout etc.
Since you're ready to build your own seaworthy boat, you should be knowledgeable enough to at least tell if she's worth a second visit / offer / survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
For sure decisionmaking, surveyor i would profere a professional one, i don't know much about wood and less more about fiberglass, no idea on it, if not what i read in many blog/forum, ecc but never worked with it.
A little reading to get you started: Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey

But YES - get a professional survey done, but remember: surveyors are only human, and some make mistakes, some are better then others - but they all have the small print on the contracts and reports to explain to you they are not liable for anything they may have missed.

Personally, I wouldn't waste an hour checking an anchor chain - easy to replace and not a huge impact on the price Focus on the things that aren't easy to replace, and / or have a real impact on the price.
Old 28-12-2015, 05:33   #84

Stefano...

Boats are very complex and there can be an enormous amount of important things to look at. You need to approach this in a hierarchical manner. Look for the main "deal breakers" ... don't look at boats too small or too big... or too expensive... or probably too cheap for their OAL.

The of course look for main features which appeal to you... how is the cockpit? large? dry? well drained? Can you steer and see the head sail? Can you work the winches from the helm? the mainsheet, Are the instruments visible? and so on.

Are the decks well laid out... Is the running rigging (if the boat is rigged) organized?

Is there an anchor locker... is there room for or is there a windlass? How is the anchor stowed?

The down below... is the galley well laid out... is there a refer or ice box or freezer? Is the sink close to CL? What are the companionway steps like? strong and easy to go up and down? Is there a chart table?

I am sure someone has written a book on what to look for when buying a boat.

However most people who do buy boats have knowledge from experience and reading and some idea of what works for them and what is seaworthy etc.

A surveyor is a technical expert. When you are seriously considering a boat.... you might want to get a surveyor involved... perhaps put a deposit on the boat subject to survey results. Surveyor will find flaws and these can be deal breakers or used as bargaining chips. Most surveyors can earn their fees by finding things that need to be done!

Big learning curve and no short cuts... it takes time... but that's the fun of it...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 13:51   #85

Blue Clab.
I got the nuances etc Matey. And i thought that youd love it if i searched for your image. Instead you thought that i hadnt got. HAD IT ALREADY!!
CLAB....Please dont think that im a poofter or even a xdresser but you know what? "L A U R A" is really nice.
Clab, from now on, please, not a typo, call me Laura. Because frankly im gettin' tired of people asking where im from in the West Indies. And whats more, with a cricket bat i couldnt even hit a basketball.
Lets do "Laura".
Sorry, personal question: is your real name Stephano_ita and you have been playing with us....60'...alloy...max 87 bunks...but under 70K Mmn.....possible Clab/Steph ????? Tell truth to me....nobody else listening. Clabano huh??
Old 28-12-2015, 14:07   #86

Lizzie.
My 8mm chain is 250ft and costs aussie $ 1150.
Because its now three years old the end in the locker is a bit rusty from having dragged around in surfy sand. So i end-for-ended it. The first 180 feet looks new @ 8mm mmn, nice chain. But no, only half is nice.
Image Stephs dream boat 80m of 10mm chain great windlass etc, chain looks beautiful, just like the 50ft alloy hull. Very nice.
Me, i would want to see all the chain...NO inks and good galvanising. Otherwise what you see aint what you get. And Stephs chain, in Oz would be $2500!
Thats why, for me, ALL the chain is important. Worth spending 2 minutes to run the hook to the bottom and run the chain out to "the bit end"..what you think? Easy exercise that one.
Cheers Lizzie.

Tags
liveaboard