Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:17   #16

Boat: looking - but when I get one her name will be "Opportunity"
Thanks to all for the advice. Everyone has good points. There are a lot of different variables to look at, buying a boat now would be money spent, refitting if necessary, slip rental, etc. but, I would be able to sail and get knowledgeable before buying my "ideal" boat. Waiting would mean enough money sooner, but, delaying doing the thing we all love - sailing. So... I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.
And - last buy not least, my apologies to GordMay. I did not do my homework on Tahiti as my home port. I didn't realize all the restrictions the French government had on foreigners living on Tahiti. I hope to get much more information from you in the future.

Happy Sailing!
angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14   #17

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I would look for and buy a boat now. Something for maybe $15,000, in the 32 - 35' range. I also would buy a full keel boat.
Do whatever work it needs to let you start sailing. Then start sailing and working on the boat, and finding out things you want to add to it for the big trip.
Sail it every chance you get. Especially in very bad weather. Out there you can't head back to port when mother nature messes with you.

Take vacations on the boat in the Gulf. Learn, enjoy, and work towards the goal. Just be sure to do it!

When I bought my first real (with a jib) boat the owner who became a good friend, gave me a drawing of a sailboat sailing off in the sunset, with the saying "With dedication, dreams become reality"

I stuck it up on the wall and looked at it often, while making sailing plans.

There a lot of older seaworthy boats out there in need of TLC for a decent price. Buy one and it will be the first step.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 21:26   #18

California Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Luckily I have the determination to live out my dream,
please don't discourage people not to chase their dreams, anything can be accomplished thru perserverence, sweat, and hard work.
Don't let anybody dissuade you of living your dreams. I would only suggest that you wait on the boat and get on the sea. Many opportunities exist for enthusiatic motivated crew persons. Daysails, long cruises, and yes racing are all the best way to learn what you really want. I have learned more over the years about sailing and boats from racing than any book or seminar, Everytime you go out with a different crew you learn more about boat handling, trim and yes sometimes survival. One thing about racers is they don't wait for the perfect day to start a venture. Just fire a gun and they take off and deal with circumstances as they arise. Most yacht clubs have bulletin boards or lists of boats looking for crew for cruising or racing. Trust me! :>) When you get a year out from your dream cruise you will be ready and well equipped the buy the right boat for your needs.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 21:27   #19

Dreaming is a waste if you don't pursue it

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Luckily I have the determination to live out my dream,
please don't discourage people not to chase their dreams, anything can be accomplished thru perserverence, sweat, and hard work.
Don't let anybody dissuade you of living your dreams. I would only suggest that you wait on the boat and get on the sea. Many opportunities exist for enthusiatic motivated crew persons. Daysails, long cruises, and yes racing are all the best way to learn what you really want. I have learned more over the years about sailing and boats from racing than any book or seminar, Everytime you go out with a different crew you learn more about boat handling, trim and yes sometimes survival. One thing about racers is they don't wait for the perfect day to start a venture. Just fire a gun and they take off and deal with circumstances as they arise. Most yacht clubs have bulletin boards or lists of boats looking for crew for cruising or racing. Trust me! :>) When you get a year out from your dream cruise you will be ready and well equipped the buy the right boat for your needs.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote