Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 21:48   #1

Boat: Charger 33 (Angelo Lavranos)
Looking for Charger 33 owners (I'm one of them)

After all I sold my beloved Nova 28 (in New Zealand) and purchased a Charger 33, which was a bit bold decision, but considering my options and the priceless help from Angelo Lavranos (the designer of this boat) I feel lucky to get her.
However I would like to catch up with other Charger owners if any around. As far I know only 15 built since 1982 in South Africa, Topaz, my one very likely one of the last two or three with a short, cruising rig. I'm very happy what I get, even I had not much chance to enjoy due the unfavourable weather systems in the past month. Anyway if anyone has any information, stories about Charger 33 I would really appreciated to hear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_122320 (1).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	170427  
nagy592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33   #2

Re: Looking for Charger 33 owners (I'm one of them)

Hi,

i too am a new own of a Charger 33 in South Africa.Currently in Mossel Bay but will move her to Cape town once the season changes to more favourble winds.

"Abacus" was built for a totally blind man Geoff Hilton Barber who sailed single handed to Australia in the 1990's.

I bought her in Feb 2018 and am none the 4th owner.Much work is needed to get her to her former glory.

She is a mast head sloop,

I would like to sail her in the next Cape to Rio Race in 2020.

They are great boats as i had worked on them in my youth(20's)at John Robertson Yachts doing their electrical and mechanical installations.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Shaun King
shaun king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:49   #3

Hi Saun, Congratulations for your purchase, I was looking so many times the pictures and short video where Geoff departed to his journey, as not many footage on the net about Chargers. I have the masthead version as well, but slightly different rigging (two lower shrouds beside the cap shroud) and I have three chain plates to match the rig. Topaz also has the standard layout which is slightly different on Abacus. Are you going to keep the rig masthead? I found very handy for short handed sailing, lot less hassle with reefing. Anyway you probably know more of these boats than most owner as you were close in early days. So would be nice to hear about your refit project, I guess you have plenty to do. I have no ambitious plans, like yours so I will work on improvements in small steps. However if you want to see Topaz you can find a couple of video on Youtube
Just for curious, have you weighed Abacus yet, I mean with fill of gears, ready to go?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shaun.
See ➥ Document sans titre

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:37   #5

Yes Gord it is a great reading, probably the most complex. That is the problem with production boats, made in small numbers, even the person who made them (in this case John Robertson) forgot about them. Luckily sites like above keeping some info. Sailboat data also a great source but very breef.
Old 23-08-2018, 16:18   #6

Hi all, here is a rare opportunity to be a Charger owner. I find one for sale recently here https://www.cyphoma.com/sint-maarten...ling-yacht-zxe
Old 01-10-2019, 05:32   #7

Hi all,

Just come across this thread. We have a Charger which we are now selling. Believe one of the early cruiser/racing layouts. Been sailing her in Greece, where she currently is based (Preveza), since the late 80’s.

Sound boat with everything you need for continued cruising, although could use a little work to return her to her full glory.

Just had her in the water for a week after 7 years dry storage.

Message us if you are interested or know someone who might be.

Thanks
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	554F993D-2E82-4FFC-8B5D-47869C36AF99.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	200791  
PaulM01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 05:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM01 View Post
Hi all,

Just come across this thread. We have a Charger which we are now selling. Believe one of the early cruiser/racing layouts. Been sailing her in Greece, where she currently is based (Preveza), since the late 80’s.

Sound boat with everything you need for continued cruising, although could use a little work to return her to her full glory.

Just had her in the water for a week after 7 years dry storage.

Message us if you are interested or know someone who might be.

Thanks
Paul
Oh My word Paul.

This was the boat we sailed from Durban South Africa to Turkey in 1986 and 1987. She was originally launched as Fantasy and the name was changed to Ekhuzini which loosely means everything will be ok in the Morning,,, or In the Morning. We endured many many miles with her including a complete roll over in 1985 during the Vasco Da Game Race.
How much are you wanting for her ?
Ehuzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 06:56   #9

Hi,

Yes that is the boat, still had the brouchers that were printed for it for it’s plans in the med, and many of the SA magazines that told the story of that race.

My folks would have bought it from you, and it is my mom selling it now, they have had a lot of enjoyable trips on her, and she sails like a dream as you know.

Re the sale looking in the region £12,500.

There are more pictures on FB market place, message us if you can’t find it, aside you want a peak for memory.

Paul
PaulM01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 07:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM01 View Post
Hi,

Yes that is the boat, still had the brouchers that were printed for it for it’s plans in the med, and many of the SA magazines that told the story of that race.

My folks would have bought it from you, and it is my mom selling it now, they have had a lot of enjoyable trips on her, and she sails like a dream as you know.

Re the sale looking in the region £12,500.

There are more pictures on FB market place, message us if you can’t find it, aside you want a peak for memory.

Paul
That it truly amazing and unfortunately I was in Turkey at the time it was sold. Mr fathers name was Peter Stafford and we had sailed the boat to Turkey to start a charter company called Morgan Island Cruises which never worked. I know my dad sold it it Greece and I was heartbroken to see her go as I grew up on her and had many fond memories of her. I cannot seem to find her on FB market place so would really appreciate details on:- james@djn.co.za
Old 18-05-2020, 07:02   #11

[QUOTE=Ehuzini;3128979]That it truly amazing and unfortunately I was in Turkey at the time it was sold. Mr fathers name was Peter Stafford and we had sailed the boat to Turkey to start a charter company called Morgan Island Cruises which never worked. I know my dad sold it it Greece and I was heartbroken to see her go as I grew up on her and had many fond memories of her. I cannot seem to find her on FB market place so would really appreciate details on:- [email]james@djn.co.za
Old 10-08-2021, 07:54   #12

Boat: Charger (34ft)

I realise this is an old thread, not sure if anyone still following.

I own Charlotte, a Charger built in 1986 by John Coates. The boat was launched at Port Owen ( I was a 9 yr old kid on the boat when she launched), spent some time on the Vaal, then Durban, before eventually ending up in Knysna. She was sold to Julian Lincow in Knysna, then I purchased her from Julian some years back.

Sail number SA 828
Andrew__Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 13:59   #13

Boat: Charger 33

Hi Andrew and others in the thread if still following

I purchased Topaz in 2019, a Charger 33 from Nagy592 who started this thread back in 2018. We use Topaz on a weekly basis, doing Wednesday night racing, and coastal cruising, as well as cruising holidays in the bays around the Banks peninsular in Canterbury, New Zealand. I'll post some pics soon, as well as the "back story" to Topaz, which is quite interesting.

Cheers, Craig
Craig Nowlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger