Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2012, 09:26   #91

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 36 Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezonBD
Hi All, We are about 2 years from retirement and looking for suggestions on a Center Cockpit in the 40-50 ft range to do long range cruising with ocean crossing capabilities. We will buy used with a budget of up to 300K. I would like to spend less, but would pull the trigger on a turn key boat at 300K for the right boat and amenities. We have looked at Hylas 46, Norseman 447, Tayana 48, Morgan 40. We really liked the Hylas and Tayana.

What others do you suggest we move to our "short list" in narrowing down our search? I know there are many options, Swan, Oyster, Hallberg-Rasey, but not sure they fit in our budget. On the other hand there are boats like a Gulfstar 50 at the lower end of our budget (many mixed reviews on the GS 50).

Please help to enlighten me to others that we should consider. It will be my wife and myself 90 % of the time.

Thanks
Hallberg -Rassy and Najad.....would be the only way to go= Rolls Royce and Bentley of the sea.

Good luck

Old 22-11-2012, 12:23   #92
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777

Hallberg -Rassy and Najad.....would be the only way to go= Rolls Royce and Bentley of the sea.

Good luck
The older HRs always had very confining interiors. , ie small passageways etc. I'd prefer the older Najads in tha respect. Have a look at used passports , lovely boats.

Dave

Old 22-11-2012, 13:10   #93

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Re: Looking for Center Cockpit 40-50 ft Sloop or Cutter Rigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post

Good luck
They are both nice but still production boats and hardly Rolls Royce or Bentley's of the sea. More like Lexus. But then $300K is not going to get you a RR of the sea ... maybe a nice "used" Amel though.
Old 22-11-2012, 13:23   #94
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

They are both nice but still production boats and hardly Rolls Royce or Bentley's of the sea. More like Lexus. But then $300K is not going to get you a RR of the sea ... maybe a nice "used" Amel though.
Give me a Lexus over an RR any day. One is for show, the other is fantastic at doing its job as a car
Old 22-11-2012, 13:30   #95

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Give me a Lexus over an RR any day. One is for show, the other is fantastic at doing its job as a car

And then there's the maintenance costs.
Old 24-11-2012, 02:58   #96

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

Hi Bent Congratulation on your purchase, a great boat. As with most things its practice until you find the routine thats good for you. presuming that your only setting the sail for short runs in settled conditions, it should still only take two people with one remaining in the cockpit for most of the work. Presuming that you have the colour coded lines and the sliding hook is still attached to the pole then your set up. Only the red rear and yellow downhaul should be cleated of. Using the uphaul lift the pole just of the rail, the person at the cockpil controls the end of the pole before swaping roles with the man at the mast who has moved to the shrouds to control the pole. The crewman moving from the cockpit readies to haul the blue line which should be cleat just in front of the cockpit. There should not be any tension on the Genoa sheet as this will act as a brake. One good push on the pole co-ordinated with a haul of the pole should get it into position. The blue line can be cleated when the uphaul is used to lift the pole into the perpendiculal position. Same process when setting the ballooner pole, only after, the second person moves forward to the mast to haul up the Balloner, while the sail is fed up the forestay. Good job you have a very stable boat for setting up the sails. This is the procedure that works for me but it might be a little bit different for you. I know of one guy in Italy who sailed with the poles up with only the need to haul the blue. Le t me know how you get on.
Regards Joe
Old 26-11-2012, 10:18   #97

Boat: Amel Mango 52
Thanks Joe, a good thorough description.

Since all was rigged down when we took over the boat, and we have had no chance to get tips and tricks from the seller, all advice are welcomed.

We managed to figure out the functions of the hauls, more or less. What we found trouble-some was getting the pole pushed out in position from the rail.

We tried with the poles from pointing afterwards, next we will try with the pole pointing forwards. What is your experience on this, any difference?
It will be a while before we can check it out, the season for sailing is long gone in these waters

I am considering a cutter stay to be able to set a storm fog, have you seen or heard of other Amels with that?

Regards
Bent, S/Y Karma, Hundige DK
Old 26-11-2012, 10:25   #98
Marine Service Provider

BentP,

We own a Maramu and can help you with your pole handling. It's quite easy once you understand how to set it up. Please PM me with an email address and I'll send info.
Old 26-11-2012, 10:49   #99

Boat: Amel Mango 52
That would be great, thanks.

My mail is bent_jyllinge@yahoo.dk

You can see more photos of the Mango on the web-site I am currently setting up: www.sykarma.dk

Thanks again,

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-772233136.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	50316

Regs Bent, S/Y Karma
Old 08-02-2013, 06:47   #100

Boat: Bristol 45.5

We were in a similar position several years ago, looking for a boat that would sail well and also be comfortable for long term living. We chose a center cockpit Bristol 45.5 designed by Ted Hood for many of the same reasons that you have indicated a CC preference. We have two separate sleeping cabins at opposite ends of the boat which is great for having guests on board. The Bristol is a shoal draft design with a centerboard which makes it "go to weather like a freight train". The boat has beautiful lines for a CC.

We started our cruising adventure in 2008 and have spent the last four seasons in the Med. We purchased the boat in 2006 (it had a total refit in 2000) and spent the next two years sailing her in New England and getting to know the boat before we moved on board and started cruising. Since Destiny is now for sale (currently in Dinner Key, FL south of Miami) we have extensive pictures on our website saildestiny--see tab at top. Highly recommend that you add Bristol 45.5 and 51.1 to your options.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:29   #101

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc

I'm with you, cc is the only way to fly. We just bought our Austrian Sunbeam 44 and are madly in love. The Norseman 447 is a great choice, my mate circumnavigated 8 years on one, flawless. The Peterson is a great choice. I love the Xc cruiser as well.

Good luck and stick with your dream
Old 20-04-2013, 14:22   #102

Boat: Sunbeam 37

Just have a look to the Sunbeam Yachts 37, 39, 42 and 53. It is an austrian producer with high level quality.
Greetings from Germany
Old 29-10-2014, 20:26   #103

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel

Ok well I am the original poster who started this thread. It is 2 plus years later. We have read books, blogs, forums, periodicals, and most anything else to help us figure out what vessel to settle in on. We looked at a fair amount of boats over that time period. There really are some great boats out there.

So, a few weeks ago we made the journey to the Annapolis Sailboat show. We saw even more boats, but fell in love with a Hylas 49. We liked it so much we decided to pull the trigger and submit a bid for her. Much to our dismay, the boat went into contract with another party by 20 minutes. We were crushed for the rest of the weekend.

We didn't give up "Hope", but went away trying to figure out our next plan....Miami boat show in Feb. That would be our plan. Look some more.

Well last Sunday, Hope came back to us with the original buyers deal didn't complete. We were absolutely interested in resubmitting our offer......long story short, we are now in contract with the 2006 Hylas 49 named Hope. We survey and sea trial next week, our loan has been approved and we are stoked about finding such a great boat. She will be ours!

Thanks to all the discussion points brought here.
Old 29-10-2014, 21:40   #104

Boat: Oyster 45

Good on you. Finding the right boat is harder than finding the right woman and in the end they will cost you less.
Remember a woman is like a hurricane. When they are gone they take your house with them.
Seriously I wish you many years wonderful sailing and you have certainly picked a good boat. We were close to buying one but in the UK they are very rare to find. We opted for Oyster in the end but you can feel it in your heart when you find the right boat. You just know it.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:30   #105

Boat: Hylas 54

You will love the Hylas. We just bought a hylas 54 two years ago at the Newport boat show. We absolutely love her. We put 1200 miles on her this summer in the Great Lakes. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, cutter, sloop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: