Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-02-2012, 18:33   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Looking for Center Cockpit 40-50 ft Sloop or Cutter Rigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
SeaHunter & SeaDuction

You're both onto something. Everybody thinks I am anti CC just because I am pro AC and it is assumed on CF that everybody is in one camp or the other haha.

Look at this photo:

There are actually two cockpits but the CC is called pilothouse because of the house put over it. The photo is of Raven, a sistership of Jedi, but sloop rigged, making this clearly visible without the mizzen blocking the view.

The big difference is that this CC is just as low as the AC. Underneath the footwell are the freezer and fridges, because the engineroom is under the AC. And behind the AC there is as much aft deck as some CCs have.

We have a big aft cabin under the bridge deck that is between the two cockpits. It is big and luxurious enough to be called the VIP cabin. This shows that there are many different options to create comfortable cabins on boats.

Most of he trouble with choosing AC vs CC for cabins comes from the design guidelines that state how many beds there must be. More is better. The Sundeer design does not follow that principle and two possible cabins were replaced by engine room and forward sail storage, resulting in 3 cabins that can sleep 6 on a 64' boat. I have seen 40' boats that can sleep 8. The "market" wants more cabins, no engine rooms.

ciao!
Nick.

Reminded that a Tartan Tock also has a low-profile center cockpit (as do Amels). An unusual boat, but very comfortable arrangement with loads of aft deck space.

Old 09-03-2012, 13:58   #62

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentP View Post
We are currently considering an Amel Mango, for lice-aboard and bluewater cruising. My only concern is the position of the helm, which is on most other Amels a bit special.

Does anyone have any experience in sailing an Amel? Is the (not-so-good) viewing from the helm an issue when cruising?

And what is it with the special Amel type spinaker-poles. I am told that there is a special head-sail to be used instead of a spinaker, I think it sounded a litle strange. Can anyone explain?

And last, have you heard of any particular osmosis-problems with Amels?

Regards
Hi All
There are alot of photos of Amels, but usually of boats that are for sale. I thought I would share with you all a few downwind photos of our Santorin Sloop.
Regards Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail Trip Spain to Portugal 2010 020.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	38517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail Trip Spain to Portugal 2010 021.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	38518  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail Trip Spain to Portugal 2010 081.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	38519  

Old 09-03-2012, 16:10   #63

Boat: CR 56 CC to be built 2014 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezonBD View Post
Hi All, We are about 2 years from retirement and looking for suggestions on a Center Cockpit in the 40-50 ft range to do long range cruising with ocean crossing capabilities. We will buy used with a budget of up to 300K. I would like to spend less, but would pull the trigger on a turn key boat at 300K for the right boat and amenities. We have looked at Hylas 46, Norseman 447, Tayana 48, Morgan 40. We really liked the Hylas and Tayana.

What others do you suggest we move to our "short list" in narrowing down our search? I know there are many options, Swan, Oyster, Hallberg-Rasey, but not sure they fit in our budget. On the other hand there are boats like a Gulfstar 50 at the lower end of our budget (many mixed reviews on the GS 50).

Please help to enlighten me to others that we should consider. It will be my wife and myself 90 % of the time.

Thanks
Have a look at Jack_Tar's Angelique a Formosa 51 that is back on the market at 150K as the sale fell thru. There was a post on it today
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0-a-73339.html
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:42   #64

Boat: Amel Mango 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac4sail

Hi All
There are alot of photos of Amels, but usually of boats that are for sale. I thought I would share with you all a few downwind photos of our Santorin Sloop.
Regards Joe
Hi Joe,

Looks great. What do you think about the spinnaker poles, in this special Amel-design? Is there any advantage compared to regular poles?

/Bent
Old 16-03-2012, 13:42   #65
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentP View Post
Hi Joe,

Looks great. What do you think about the spinnaker poles, in this special Amel-design? Is there any advantage compared to regular poles?

/Bent
Two spinnaker poles is very good to stabilize the chute, which is the reason it isn't allowed during racing. The Amels made it even easier to deploy, but I've seen plenty cruisers with two regular poles too.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-03-2012, 14:45   #66

Yeah I realize this, but I was thinking about the special Amel-poles that are divided into two. Is this really a advantage?
Old 16-03-2012, 18:06   #67

Hi all
The Amel down wind set up is fantastic, I can usually set it up either on my own, or with the help of just one. All the lines are marked and colour coded so there can be no mistake as to where they go. The poles can be handled and set up before departure with only the last haul out required. Great when getting an inexperienced crew member to help. But the lovely thing about the set up,is that in the right conditions the boat takes off. We were doing 8kts average of the Portuguese coast and the autohelm was not under strain. There was no roll, I've sailed a super maramu and. I have to say that amels are a very stable platform. I know that there are alot of great blue water cruisers out there, but I love the way amels are set up. if you need more info I'll be glad to help. Regards Joe
Old 17-03-2012, 02:57   #68

Sounds great, since we are right now in the process of purchasing an Amel Mango.

The steering system on this boat is cabled, and it is quite hard on the wheel. Does your Amel have cables too? Do you know if the cable-system normally is harder than a hydraulic system?

Thanks,

Bent
Old 17-03-2012, 03:02   #69

Well it sounds like nice boats, glad to hear it since we are right now in the process of buying an Amel Mango.

The boat I am considering has cables for the steering. It is quite hard on the wheel, and I wonder if that is a characteristic for a cable system. Does your boat have cables, or is it hydraulic?

Thanks,

Bent
Old 17-03-2012, 03:07   #70

I should add that the short pole from
Mast to shrouds are locked in position by just one pin at the mast. The bracket on the shrouds is supported by the four shrouds so very stable. At the end of the short pole there is an articulating joint with receiver cup. The big pole requires one person to go forward to set it up. The lines can all be attached to the pole while at the cockpit. You can see how high the poles are set above the sea, decreasing the danger of the pole catching the top of a wave. There are two options with the sails, prepare them for a long run before departure by attaching the two head sails together, or by running up the ballooner when required. These operations can be done with ease by two people. If the sails are set together then they be furled in together. Easing out the sheets depowers the sails, with the wind spilling at top of the leech. Another point, as the poles are stored on the deck and not permanently attached to the mast, as in some systems, there is less weight and windage aloft. Now don't ask me about the boat or I'll never finish, but it's funny how nearly all the Amel owners stay with Amel when changing boats. Joe
Old 17-03-2012, 03:40   #71

Yeah I can imagine. Can't wait to get one myself,

Bent
Old 17-03-2012, 03:47   #72

Boat: Irwin 43

Here is an article on center cockpits for cruisers.....
10 Best Center Cockpit Two Stateroom Sailboats For Under $200,000 - Waves « Jordan Yacht Brokerage
We have an Irwin 43 and have now sailed from Los Angeles to Ixtapa, spending a year in the sea of Cortez.....about 3500 miles. So far so good.........we get a lot of fellow cruisers on our boat that love the design....you can pick one up for 100K add 100K in gear and have a great boat.
Old 17-03-2012, 11:17   #73

Amels tend to be very dry boats, so there is not the usual problems with corrosion. As the rudder is on a full skeg the forces on the steering system are not as bad as a half skeg or spoon rudder. The autohelm on our boat is the original installed in 1992. The only thing that needed to be replaced was the circuit board in the junction box. But if does go down, a piece of string and a bungy cord will get you home. I know, but that was all I needed as an auxiliary pilot from France to Dublin a few years ago. The boat steered itself with just a touch of the wheel every few minutes to straighten the course. The Santorin is so well balanced you sometimes forget the auto pilot is not on. I'm sure you will have a great time with what ever Amel you choose. Regards Joe
Old 17-03-2012, 11:27   #74

Rabbeting on again, there are no hydraulics on the amels all the motors are electric. The idea being that you could change a bog standard Bosch starting motor, anywhere in the world. Joe
Old 17-03-2012, 11:42   #75
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Okay guys, now the weak points of the Amels... like any design they have those too

Here's two:

- the prop sticks out of the keel far forward of the rudder which makes maneuvering all but impossible

- the fake teak decks are ugly

How do owners feel about the diesel stove?

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, cutter, sloop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: