Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 15:28   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Looking for - Blue Water 40+ft - $60k Full Keel

Hey ive previously posted looking for suggestions on decent offshore boats for long distance cruising/living in for a few years.

I was open to alot and ive seen alot. Now ive narrowed it down to over 40ft around 60k full keel, fiberglass.

Can anyone out there give me a list of boats to consider? must also be proven ocean cruiser.

Thanks for your help.
__________________

__________________
camcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 15:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Quote:
60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.
I think for the most part a boat like this is going to be 25+ years old at least. Anything they were is not important compared to the shape they are in today. Once you spend $60K you'll end up spending a lot more than that to fix it up and that assumes you do a lot of your own work and are good at it and someone else already dropped a bundle in it.

In general any boat that sells for $60K and 40 ft is in all probability not worth the money. A 40 ft boat will bleed you to death in terms of time and money. If you drop down to 33 ft you might do better. A smaller boat in better condition is a little easier. If you price some Westail 32 ft boats you'll see the good ones sell for more then $60K and the cheaper ones might get there for the difference. These are not fast boats but they can taken a serious beating and they hold a lot of crap. That defines a cursing boat! There was a 35 year old 42 for sale for $59K. The better ones are $160K. It shows how much it can cost to fix one up nice. The hull is probably solid but that isn't what will cost you a lot of money. Mostly it is just stuff that is attached and need to be replaced. Some can be rebuilt but it takes cash not elbow grease. You'll need that even with a nice boat.

Go for a smaller boat and fix it up nice and you'll save money and have a better boat. The bigger cheaper boats will bust your bank account after it destroys your enthusiasm.

If you are committed to a 40 ft boat at $60k then forget about brand and look for price. There won't be so many that you'll find a lot of choices. You'll need to walk quite a few to find something you can afford to fix up. You can't afford to be picky in this price range and there won't be any really good boats let alone decent ones ready to go.
__________________

__________________
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:08   #3
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

@Pblais +1
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:09   #4
Registered User
 
capttman's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Satellite Beach Florida
Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Posts: 716
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais

I think for the most part a boat like this is going to be 25+ years old at least. Anything they were is not important compared to the shape they are in today. Once you spend $60K you'll end up spending a lot more than that to fix it up and that assumes you do a lot of your own work and are good at it and someone else already dropped a bundle in it.

In general any boat that sells for $60K and 40 ft is in all probability not worth the money. A 40 ft boat will bleed you to death in terms of time and money. If you drop down to 33 ft you might do better. A smaller boat in better condition is a little easier. If you price some Westail 32 ft boats you'll see the good ones sell for more then $60K and the cheaper ones might get there for the difference. These are not fast boats but they can taken a serious beating and they hold a lot of crap. That defines a cursing boat! There was a 35 year old 42 for sale for $59K. The better ones are $160K. It shows how much it can cost to fix one up nice. The hull is probably solid but that isn't what will cost you a lot of money. Mostly it is just stuff that is attached and need to be replaced. Some can be rebuilt but it takes cash not elbow grease. You'll need that even with a nice boat.

Go for a smaller boat and fix it up nice and you'll save money and have a better boat. The bigger cheaper boats will bust your bank account after it destroys your enthusiasm.

If you are committed to a 40 ft boat at $60k then forget about brand and look for price. There won't be so many that you'll find a lot of choices. You'll need to walk quite a few to find something you can afford to fix up. You can't afford to be picky in this price range and there won't be any really good boats let alone decent ones ready to go.
Where do u get your info? There are plenty of solid boats out there at good prices. Some are sail away,
__________________
Capttman

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:41   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Any lists? names, makes ect?
__________________
camcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:45   #6
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

bottom
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:47   #7
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Have you thought about why you want to go RTW?

What I'm getting at is that I can see how it would be possible to buy an old boat for $60k, fix it up and then sail RTW but but it would be an expensive, heart breaking and possibly dangerous exercise.

If going RTW is the desire you would be better to do it on someone else's boat. Concentrate on getting your crewing and interpersonal skills to the point where you become an attractive crew member. I see a lot of ads for crew on large boats where the owners have found that the boat is too big for them.

The only reason why you would need more than 40' is that you have a total crew of more than 3. Two can comfortably go on a Beneteau 393 for example, and one could go with a 343.

40' is about the point where most equipment prices double...

I found it's very easy to underestimate the amount of money and effort needed to get a large boat seaworthy.
__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:05   #8
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the U.S.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Posts: 402
Here is a boat that may meet most of your requirements. I know the folks selling her. He is a ships mechanic and the boat is in good shape. Lots of interior space with a good layout. Even and inside helm station.

Boat (and owners) are in Grenada currently.

http://www.yacht.alianna.co.uk/
__________________
Mark (It's Irie - Sailing Blog)
The Wirie AP+ and The Wirie pro - Long Range Marine WiFi and 2/3/4G Systems
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:41   #9
Registered User
 
Tia Bu's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Posts: 454
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

A dissenting view: If you have cash in today's market, you're patient, and you treat people with kindness and consideration, you'd simply be amazed at what deals are out there.

As far as I can tell, virtually no one can borrow money to buy a boat over 20-25 years old any more. So nearly all sales are to cash buyers. And who the heck has $60,000 cash these days? If they do, they probably have a lot of things they need to spend it on besides a sailboat. If you have that much cash to spend on a boat, then virtually any used monohull on the market in that size range is a possibility, IMHO.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been active in the market for the past 8 months, recently sold my boat, and have made a lot of offers, had a lot of counteroffers, and talked to a lot of brokers and potential buyers and sellers. Be realistic, be considerate of the owners' feelings and personal circumstances, and don't be afraid to stretch!
__________________
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 10:53   #10
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 228
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Where do u get your info? There are plenty of solid boats out there at good prices. Some are sail away,
You are absolutely right. It is a buyers market and cash is King. 40 footers for 60K ready to go are very possible in this economy. Missed a 1968 41' Aft cockpit Morgan Centerboard sloop (not an OI) with new Perkins 4-108. Selling price 26K. It needed some estentials but was solid and a sail away with a dozen sails to boot.

If if look you will find. South Florida is a hot market.... Go to:

Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale for starters....


RT
PS I found my Slocum 37' for under 30K
__________________
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 11:18   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St-Lazare, Qc. Canada
Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II
Posts: 160
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

IT depends what you consider a boat ready to go sail the world. I purchased a 1975 Whitby 42, which I considered in fair condition at the time. Then I started to refresh the interior and found out that plumbing was due for renewal, toilets, then the electrical, then the tanks, then the paint on the deck had been applied to hide some cracks and needed to be redone properly, then this and that and I ended up redoing pretty much everything. I even had the engine and tranny factory rebuilt, and much more. I now have a boat that costed three time what I paid at the purchase time, even though it was not a wreck, it just did not meet my standards. For some, it would have done the job but I just couldn't sail without proper gear and with the doubt that something is not at my proper level of quality. The bad side is that I paid a lot more than the boat would sale for today and I had a lot of work during those years, the good side is that I did not have to mortgage the house to pay for a boat to my quality standards, improvements were done over the years, draining the budget I would have spent in vacation, cars, etc. Now I can enjoy a solid old boat, sailing in comfort and security. But I will never do it again.
__________________
Roland on Esmeralda II - Whitby 42
rolandgilbert99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 11:32   #12
JRM
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 416
Images: 2
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcam View Post
Hey ive previously posted looking for suggestions on decent offshore boats for long distance cruising/living in for a few years.

I was open to alot and ive seen alot. Now ive narrowed it down to over 40ft around 60k full keel, fiberglass.

Can anyone out there give me a list of boats to consider? must also be proven ocean cruiser.

Thanks for your help.
Don't know where you are, but if you're willing to drop down 3 feet, there's a Tartan 37 sitting in Oxnard, Ca that's fully ready to go with pretty much newer/rebuilt everything that is sitting at $59K asking. Probably go for $45k. If the aft quarterberth/double could have been easily framed into a cabin for the boy we'd have bought it. It's bristol. Oh, and it's purple...

There was a Challenger 40 repo in Channel Islands harbor that was up for like $30K. Probably needed another $40K in work. Not sure if it's still there.

Seriously, check out that Tartan. It's great.

JRM

--no affiliation with it, other than I drive by it regularly for work and went and looked at it several times during our search. Kept coming back to it.
__________________
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 12:06   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: france/dordogne
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezz 40ft
Posts: 197
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Intresting options and replies guys, send some more sites or links, I just happen to stumble on a 38ft,longkeeled beauty,40k$ but as said, she lies in the US and I am in Europ, don't mind doing her up in the caribean, just a little hard taking my tools on the plane, any options ?
Also US boats have 110V systems, and equipment do I have to change all apliances?
__________________
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 12:39   #14
Registered User
 
zUrchin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois retiring to the Philippines
Boat: Com-pac 25
Posts: 89
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Most of the critical gear as far as equipment goes will likely be 12V. Even the better refrigeration systems will likely be 12V. I personally think voltage on appliances would be a lower priority when narrowing down your shortlist.

There should be more qualified folks on the forum than myself who can address conversion costs and options. Personally, I think it would be nice to have both 110 and 220 VAC (color coded) outlets on a boat for greater flexibility.
__________________
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 12:55   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: france/dordogne
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezz 40ft
Posts: 197
Re: 60k, Blue water, 40+ft. $60k, Full keel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
Most of the critical gear as far as equipment goes will likely be 12V. Even the better refrigeration systems will likely be 12V. I personally think voltage on appliances would be a lower priority when narrowing down your shortlist.

There should be more qualified folks on the forum than myself who can address conversion costs and options. Personally, I think it would be nice to have both 110 and 220 VAC (color coded) outlets on a boat for greater flexibility.
abslutely right, but all my tools would still be 220, grumpff
will have to bring coverter!
__________________

__________________
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
keel, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.