Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2009, 14:40   #1

Looking for a Replacement Rudder for a Cal 2-27

While setting out for a nice afternoon sail and BBQ yesterday afternoon, I struck a submerged object in the so-called "safe" waters of the Berkeley Marina. Damage to hull and keel currently unknown, but my lovely lady is not leaking, sinking, or listing, which is all hopeful. However, my rudder was badly damaged--there's some damage to the leading edge near the bottom, which could be patched, but more importantly, the rudder post has been knocked out of alignment, causing the rudder to rub on the bottom of the boat, making the vessel un-steerable. The metal post has been dislodged in the interior of the rudder, which has a foam core, meaning that the foam has been damaged internally. I have a feeling that repairing the rudder is not worth the time, money, and effort, since I believe I would have to strip off the fiberglass, reposition the post, fill the newly created gaps with some sort of foam, and re-fiberglass the whole thing. I'd much rather just find an old de-commissioned Cal 2-27 and take the rudder off it, and install it in my boat--a half hour project involving a wetsuit and a crescent wrench. Does anyone have any leads for where to find a used Cal 2-27 rudder in or near the Bay Area?

Thanks for your help! I'd love to get back out on the water as soon as possible!

Glenn
glennjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 19:46   #2

Re: Looking for a Replacement Rudder for a Cal 2-27

Hey!
"I'm in the same boat" .... I jammed my rudder up against the hull, unsure of damage to the shaft. Did you pull the rudder out in the water? How successful was your experience?
Natalie
Subeffects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 20:13   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

They seem to have a love 'em or hate 'em reputation here on CF, and it isn't made any easier by a company split and multiple companies using the same name, but you might try Foss Foam. On the west coast http://www.boatrudder.com/rudders.htm) and on the east coast NewRudders.com » About Us

Never been a customer, so can't offer any direct experience. For a stock boat the probably already have a mold for your rudder.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:30   #4

I ended up pulling the rudder, straightening the stainless steel rudder post on a hydraulic press, stuff foam around the post and re-glassing it. It was a pain, but it's been working great ever since. Cree at Berkeley Marine Center was an amazing resource--taught me how to do all the work on my own and didn't charge me for anything but materials.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:31   #5

Oh and yes, I did pull the rudder out with the boat in the water. They float, so long as they're not waterlogged...I'd recommend tying it off to the boat just in case though, unless you want to go free diving in your marina!!
Old 04-08-2015, 13:43   #6

Thank you all for the prompt responses. So taking it out seems like it would be a whole lot easier that putting it back together, but it's great to know it can be done. And that it floats. Seems to have a heavy shaft. So any tips or tricks you can share?
Subeffects is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, collision, rudder, salvage