Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 19:23   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Salgari
Looking for a 40 ft.

Hi there, I'm looking for a 40 ft or so. And I'm putting myself a lot of questions. What make would be the best? My options so far, are Jeanneau, Beneteau or Bavaria. I've seen lots of ads with prices from 100 to 150 grand. What if I buy a boat that has served as charter? Is it bad?

May some of you please shed some light on these issues?

I'll thank you very much.
Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 19:35   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Looking for a 40 ft.

Looks like you have not done your home-work yet.

If you are serious, pls post more details on your plans, budget, etc and we will be happy to help.

If not, don't
Old 19-12-2013, 22:42   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

If you're just comparing those three brands... Choose which layout you like the best and be done with it.

Common sense- charter boats see much use by many people. Use your head. I agree with CSY. If you're ready to drop 100-150k on a boat, read up a little more on everything.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 00:36   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
But they're really pretty,,,, :0)
On a serious note there is a sweet 39 Corbin in Fl for 40k!!! Best deal for a serious cruising mono I think I have ever seen.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 05:21   #5

Boat: Tartan 4100

Typically, charter boats will sell for less and for a reason: they have typically been used hard in the trades with less than knowledgeable skippers possibly running into hard things!

There are literally hundreds of 40 footers out there that could fit your requirements (once you figure them out) and don't be in a hurry, look around, learn what you what and what works.

There are production cruisers that are good and there are some that have limited capabilities.....
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 06:07   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we sail a Jeanneau DS40 -- we did a bit of searching and looked at a lot of boats -- we had some thoughts about what we would do with the boat and then we really exeeded those thoughts -- initally we just wanted to sail the east coast of the usa and the bahamas - after we did for a while we decided to go a bit further afield - we have now been our 6 years on her and did a circum nav of the caribbean then --

in May we sailed across the atlantic and are now in Tunisia -- for us we got the absolutely right boat -- we love her - she sails well is great for the 2 of us and built like a brick s***house --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 07:39   #7

Smile Re: Looking for a 40 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we sail a Jeanneau DS40 -- we did a bit of searching and looked at a lot of boats -- we had some thoughts about what we would do with the boat and then we really exeeded those thoughts -- initally we just wanted to sail the east coast of the usa and the bahamas - after we did for a while we decided to go a bit further afield - we have now been our 6 years on her and did a circum nav of the caribbean then --

in May we sailed across the atlantic and are now in Tunisia -- for us we got the absolutely right boat -- we love her - she sails well is great for the 2 of us and built like a brick s***house --
Thanks so much Chuckr, I've never owned a boat yet, but I think jeanneau is a great make. Though I've been searching across the ads I found there are many models of that boat, as happens with Beneteau as well. I feel myself closer to the french boats so I'll keep searching Jeanneau and Beneteau.

Do you think buying a boat that has been charted all her life is a good idea? I mean, I know you should do lots of work to put her 100% but the price would be much lower than boats who had been cruised by one owner...

Thank you so mucho for your support, and I apologize if I put some silly questions...
Old 20-12-2013, 07:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Typically, charter boats will sell for less and for a reason: they have typically been used hard in the trades with less than knowledgeable skippers possibly running into hard things!

There are literally hundreds of 40 footers out there that could fit your requirements (once you figure them out) and don't be in a hurry, look around, learn what you what and what works.

There are production cruisers that are good and there are some that have limited capabilities.....
Thank you so much for your advise.
Old 20-12-2013, 07:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Looks like you have not done your home-work yet.

If you are serious, pls post more details on your plans, budget, etc and we will be happy to help.

If not, don't
sorry for bothering you. As a new member of this forum may be I put some silly questions for people who has lots of experience.
Old 20-12-2013, 07:59   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I got an ex-charter Jeanneau 43DS from Sunsail and after cleaning her up (mainly cosmetic issues) I really enjoyed that boat in the Caribbean! There are numerous threads and hefty arguments regarding the advantages and disadvantages of an ex-charter boat so that discussion doesn't belong here.
There is a good buyer's market in the BVI for 3-year old ex-charter boats from Sunsail, Moorings and other charter companies and the prices there are pretty good, along with a big selection. www.yachtworld.com will help you narrow the selection and help to get a good idea of the general prices.
Old 20-12-2013, 08:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I got an ex-charter Jeanneau 43DS from Sunsail and after cleaning her up (mainly cosmetic issues) I really enjoyed that boat in the Caribbean! There are numerous threads and hefty arguments regarding the advantages and disadvantages of an ex-charter boat so that discussion doesn't belong here.
There is a good buyer's market in the BVI for 3-year old ex-charter boats from Sunsail, Moorings and other charter companies and the prices there are pretty good, along with a big selection. www.yachtworld.com will help you narrow the selection and help to get a good idea of the general prices.
Thanks so much. I saw that page from bvi and the brokers seem to be serious people. I also found some chartered boats at edwards yachts at very nice prices (i.e. a 2008 jeannaeu at 120k). Will continue searching.
Old 20-12-2013, 08:43   #12

Listen, don't be sorry, keep asking your questions. There are some people on here that think it is a bother for them to answer peoples questions... I cant understand it, because all they have to do is click on a different link. I am guessing it is all they have. Don't feel bad about not knowing as much about sailing. I am sure you know a lot about something. Look at questions about computers if you want a laugh, people asking how to fix the broken coffee cup holder on their laptop. Most people can't figure out how to calculate compounding interest, even when they look up the formula or what side of a cow does a tbone come from. They are not going out of their way to make you feel bad, they just want to feel better.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:52   #13

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

I would take ex-chartered boat anytime over an old boat. Of course ex-chartered boat is still more expensive than an old 80's to 90's boat. For your budget, I would take a newer boat for its modern hull, lighter weight, ergonomic, and comfortable living space.

BVI or Caribbean has the best deal for chartered boat. They are not junk. Chartered companies do know how to maintain their fleet. Many yachties from down and under come to BVI to buy their boats and sail it back to Australia. I have crewed for them many times. I am impressed with their purchased and how the chartered company taking care the boat before they release it to the new owner for his long journey home.

Don't fall for that you must have a valiant or caliber to be a true sailor.

Good luck.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
Listen, don't be sorry, keep asking your questions. There are some people on here that think it is a bother for them to answer peoples questions... I cant understand it, because all they have to do is click on a different link. I am guessing it is all they have. Don't feel bad about not knowing as much about sailing. I am sure you know a lot about something. Look at questions about computers if you want a laugh, people asking how to fix the broken coffee cup holder on their laptop. Most people can't figure out how to calculate compounding interest, even when they look up the formula or what side of a cow does a tbone come from. They are not going out of their way to make you feel bad, they just want to feel better.
Thank you so much Tdominic, I do think the way you do, and really appreciate you taking your time to say that.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:06   #15

A boat that has been in charter duty with a reputable company is going to have been used hard, but also regularly maintained. I would much rather buy a boat coming out of charter than one that has never been in charter, but has been neglected by the current owner.

Sadly, a lot of the used boats for sale are suffering from some degree of neglect. That's because the owner, over time, uses the boat less and less, visits it less and less, let's it just sit there more and more. In many cases, the owner hasn't even seen the boat in 2-3 years, and has finally decided that it's time to sell it. Is a boat like that better than one that just came off of charter? NO WAY!!!

So what it comes down to is that you have to get out there and look at some boats, read a lot about buying boats, and about doing a pre-survey inspection of your own, and learn how to recognize a boat that has been reasonably well maintained versus one that has been neglected.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote