Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2018, 18:19   #46

Boat: Hunter 356
Re: Looking for a 35'-40' sailboat and need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall.dude View Post
If you like the Hunter line, take a look at Catalina. Especially the C380. I'll be first to admit though, I don't have nearly the real-life experience the others here have! I will say, I can't find a negative review anywhere. If someone has, I'd like to read it!
I wanted a Catalina 380 until I laid down on the centreline bed in the aft cabin. I found it claustrophobic, and ended up going with the Hunter 356 instead due to headroom and ventilation while in bed. Granted, the Pullman style aft bunk isn’t to everyone’s liking either, but my wife and I love it, especially after adding the 3” Costco topper to the standard mattress.
Old 23-12-2018, 12:33   #47

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Re: in-mast furling. I’ve sailed a number of older boats where the in-mast furler was a bit rubbish. I commissioned a brand new boat with in-mast furling and it was better. Mostly reliable, once the tricks were learnt. But still with the overriding problem of a relatively small sail without horizontal battens. I wouldn’t specify it again. I sailed a boat with the Leisurefurl in-boom reefing and it was magnificent. Solves all the problems. I was fairly certain I would convert my next boat to have this. But I haven’t yet — I’m using simple slab reefing with lazy jacks and an electric halyard and it works single-handed without fuss. I’m not sure I can justify the 25k it would cost for a new boom and main. One day, maybe, but it’s not high up the list.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 13:31   #48

Thanks JimJohnston.
Never looked much at these boats for some reason...probably because of the size. Not a bad looking boat. We were really hopeful of getting a boat with the sugar scoop stern.

Georgian Bay is where my wife and I have boated for the last 10 years. Lake Ontario and Lake Erie before that...nothing compares to Georgian Bay!

Thanks for your input
Heli_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 13:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Re: in-mast furling. I’ve sailed a number of older boats where the in-mast furler was a bit rubbish. I commissioned a brand new boat with in-mast furling and it was better. Mostly reliable, once the tricks were learnt. But still with the overriding problem of a relatively small sail without horizontal battens. I wouldn’t specify it again. I sailed a boat with the Leisurefurl in-boom reefing and it was magnificent. Solves all the problems. I was fairly certain I would convert my next boat to have this. But I haven’t yet — I’m using simple slab reefing with lazy jacks and an electric halyard and it works single-handed without fuss. I’m not sure I can justify the 25k it would cost for a new boom and main. One day, maybe, but it’s not high up the list.
Tillsbury...well written post. Very informative on all points. You have swayed me back over the fence again to no in-mast furling.
Heli_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 14:09   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli_fixer View Post
Hello all,

Brand new to this site and forum and I hope I have come to the right place.

I am presently looking for a 35'-40' sailboat to use in the great lakes (mainly Georgian Bay) for cruising and staying aboard for extended periods (weeks at a time). I will be single handling this vessel from time to time, so not too sure if I need 'in mast furling' or not?

I have only owned power boats up to this point in time, but have always wanted to sail. (tired of putting $1,000 per trip in the tanks) I have taken 3 days of sailing school in Florida. (I know...not much)

My wife and I seem to lean towards the Hunter line...mainly for the looks and comfort.

My budget is around $70,000 USD and would just like to have all the information I can get before purchasing my new boat.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor

Heli, I have a ‘95 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 371 (37’6”) for sale in your price range. She is an owners version, never chartered and in excellent condition with water maker, wind and solar power, all lines lead aft for single handing, roller furling both main and job, well done Bimini and dodger, good ground tackle, all required safety equipment, jacklines, radar and chart plotter, engine with only 1100 hours on it, well maintained and immaculate inside and out. In St. Croix, just returned from sailing BVI’s last week. If you’d like to see some photos, pm me with your email and I’ll send to you complete equipment list and photos.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:32   #51

Boat: Hunter 340

My wife and I have a Hunter 340 and particularly like the aft cabin and walk through 'sugar scoop ' transom (her firm requirements). Not having read all the posts one item our boat had when we bought it (a 1999 purchased in 2012) was an air conditioner. I thought this was a unnecessary piece of failure prone expesive equipment however after the first hot summer I now consider it essential, mainly when docked - out on the water anchored the breezes seem to keep the boat cool enough (cant use the AC anyhow). The advice about under 6 ft keel is also important. I would suggest a shoal draft at 5 ft or less if you can find it. I often envy the in mast furlers anchored around us because my wife wont let me crack a beer until the sail cover is on (tedious) however in mast can fail in some situations so I like the simplicity of non-inmast.
Georgian Bay is the best with hundreds of beautiful anchorages. We love Sandy Bay on Hope Island for its great views and nice beach. See you on the water.
dmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:55   #52

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli_fixer View Post
Tillsbury...well written post. Very informative on all points. You have swayed me back over the fence again to no in-mast furling.
I certainly swayed many times. But to me, the only significant benefit of in-mast fueling is convenience. There are many downsides, including performance, sticking, and the potential for nightmares if things go pear-shaped. I believe that most people (including me) go for it after bad experiences with slab reefing.

People do complain about difficulties with standard slab reefing, but I find on my latest boat there are no issues (I have to be able to sail this boat entirely single-handedly). Crucial to that is principally that the mainsail uses good quality Selden roller-bearing cars, and then I have an electric winch with a dyneema halyard, and all the reefing lines (single-line for 1 and 2, double-line for 3), solid vang, and outhaul come back to the cockpit too.

When I let go the main halyard, the sail drops straight down to the boom under its own weight, within the lazyjacks.

If you make sure it’s set up right, slab reefing can be easy as pie. Reefing in or out single-handed takes me 30 seconds or less, from the cockpit.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat