Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2018, 06:25   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Looking for a 35'-40' sailboat and need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli_fixer View Post
Definitely don't mind and kind of want a bit of a project boat. (I just retired) That being said, I don't want a wreck or a boat that wasn't looked after.
There's no such thing as a boat that isn't a project.

Likely you are currently greatly underestimating the maintenance required even starting with one that is immaculate when you buy it.

So really, since you can afford it, shoot for that - very rare - immaculate example as a priority.

You can always throw yourself into **improvement** projects if the must-do list gets too short.

At least do not accept one with work-needed issues that will delay your getting out and enjoying sailing from day one.

And whatever you do, don't fall for the idea that you'll save money by buying a boat that needs fixing.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:05   #17

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

I have a completely rebuilt 36' Morgan that might interest you....and I mean completely rebuilt.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:09   #18

It is incredible the knowledge and experience on this forum. You guys are the best and you all have some very valid points. Getting excited about getting out there and finally looking instead of pictures on the internet. I'll take lots of notes and pictures and narrow my search.
Thanks all!!!
Heli_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:21   #19

Take your time and try out as many boats as possible before buying. That will increase the probability of getting it right the first time and save you the hassle of living with something you don't like much or the hassle / cost of selling and buying another boat. In general go as small as you can that is still comfortable enough, higher quality, and newer versus longer, lower quality, and older.

Buy something that has a following in your area. If you decide to sell to change boats it will be much easier to sell.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:31   #20

Boat: Freedom 32

I second the Freedom Yacht suggestion and not just because I own a smaller one. If you are looking for simplicity there is nothing simpler on the water. Tacking is as simple as turning the wheel. Freedoms are designed and built for single-handed sailing. From a parts and maintenance standpoint they are a simpler boat without many of the parts that fail on other sailboats. Below deck you will find any Freedom to have the room of a boat much larger due to the beam and smart design.Stories that Freedoms cannot point as high are overly exaggerated. Do yourself a tremendous favor and research the brand and the size you’re looking for.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:43   #21

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

there's a beautiful Lord Nelson 35 for sale in NYC, easy to singlehand, safe and comfortable
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:06   #22

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Re. in-mast furling, there is no need for it, ever. It just complicates sailing when it malfunctions and though I have never used one, critics state that it doesn't compete favorably for proper trimming of a main'sl. In-mast and in-boom furling is marketed for people who either like to have the latest of most anything that's available, or blindly just trust the advise of a salesperson more interested in a sales commission.

If you really want to make hoisting, and especially reefing and taking down a mainsail a lot easier, particularly when the wind is really blowing, after you get your boat, just get a hold of the folks at '"Strong Track". This device comes in a roll that consists of a nearly frictionless sleeve on it's back side that runs up and stays in the mast groove that the sail lugs would normally occupy. Your maiin'sl lugs then will insert into the posterior, that is, the exposed outside groove of the track. The ST folks will send you some plastic measuring discs so you can find out which of their tracks will mate properly with the groove dimension of your mast. Once you've used one of these, you will wonder why all boats don't have them, as even with the wind swung around onto your beam, the mainsail will come down easily just by releasing the halyard. Apart from this, you already know what reefing lines are about. And, of course, lazy jacks are essential to keep the mainsail stacked easily onto the boom when you take it down.

As far as deciding on the right boat, there are owner groups that have formed chat lines to sort out problems they encounter with their boats. So once you have narrowed down your choice of boats to a few designs you really like for this or that reason, go online and see if a chat line (i.e. list serve/email group) exists for that model boat and I'm sure you will get good responses. Usually they will have already categorized headings for different problems/solutions that make for valuable reading before you pose any questions you might have.

One last thing, you will do well to avoid a boat that has lived most of it's life in salt water if you plan to keep it in fresh water. Because, depending on many variables on how and what type of polyester resin was used to lay up the hull when it was made in the factory, it may be prone to the problematic kind of blistering that can weaken a hull (ie. not just nuisance type cosmetic blisters). So, avoid that risk and pursue your lovely dreams of sailing together with your 1st mate!
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:23   #23

Boat: Freedom 30

Okay, one more thumbs up from a Freedom owner. very good build quality, the self tacking jib makes it easy to sail,you have half the winches to maintain and almost no rigging to deal with.
Definitely worth checking out.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:42   #24

Boat: LeComte NE 38

Heli Fixer,

I know you mentioned looking for something from the 1990's but you might consider a classic older boat if it is in good condition - was well built to begin with and has had consistent and thoughtful upgrades. I have a 38' LeComte NE 38 for sale ("Sequitur") that I have owned for 20 years and sailed all over the New England coast in all kinds of weather and quite frequently single handed. (She is currently in Bristol Rhode Island).

She is a gorgeous Bill Tripp Jr. design, very similar to the Hinckley Bermuda 40 but with a more modern underbody (molded fin keel and skeg hung rudder). She was extremely well built in Holland by LeComte in 1968, is priced well below (about half) your budget, which leaves some room for you to make specific upgrades. She is absolutely in sail-away condition with recent main (batt car fully battened lazy jacks and easy to hoist and easy to reef or drop, recent Beta Marine Diesel engine, modern electrical panel, auto pilot, roller furling jib, self-tailing primary jib sheet winches, very comfortable interior, nice stainless steel dutch tile wood stove, teak interior, great light and bright interior, excellent 3 burner gimbaled gas stove, fresh water vacuflush head with holding tank.

Sequitur is beautiful, draws only 5'-4", sails well, has an extremely sea-kindly motion and is aesthetically very pleasing to the eye with a great sheer. She needs a bit of repair and restoration to some of the interior woodwork but this sort of cosmetic work could be done over time and would not diminish or prevent you from immediate sailing pleasure and in my opinion, she would be a great first boat.

The reason I am selling is to move up to a larger sailboat, something in the 44 - 47 foot range as I plan to spend more time on board, need room for grandchildren and family and want a two cabin layout.

See pictures below and if this is of any interest at all, I can send you a 10 page brochure with more pictures and a full description. She is listed for sale with Ham Freeman of New England Yacht Partners in Bristol, Rhode Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur in Sag at dusk-2017-07.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	182086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur_090711.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	182087  

Name:	Sequitur - interior main cabin.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	182088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur - forward cabin - V berth.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	182089  

Name:	Sequitur - self tailing winch coaming detail.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	182090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur - port side gallery - gas stove.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	182091  

Name:	Sequitur - looking fwd from mast, roller furling jib.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	182092  
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:46   #25

Boat: (none)

If you like the Hunter line, take a look at Catalina. Especially the C380. I'll be first to admit though, I don't have nearly the real-life experience the others here have! I will say, I can't find a negative review anywhere. If someone has, I'd like to read it!
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:47   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Look at some old Pearson's or Catalina's if you can find one in excellent condition. Hunter would not be my first choice but that is me. Nice interiors no doubt.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 16:00   #27

There is a 41' Morgan Out Island for sale in fort Pierce. It is in Harbortown Marina. The name is "Integrity". It is listed in Craig's list treasure coast. I know for a fact that it is in excellent condition, since I helped the owner bring it to Bristol condition when he bought it.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 16:12   #28

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Welcome to the forum. I concur with everything I have read in this thread and owning 2 Hunters that I appreciate very much I highly recommend them. Most any choice in the size you are looking for will serve well. The most important thing is condition. Gelcoat, running rigging, sails, cushions, plumbing, electrical, motor( little or no rust anywhere), electronics. Everything is expensive! The best deal would be a lightly used highly maintained with verifiable ownership history, Check fuel condition. A boat that has been regularly maintained by a anal-retentive owner will make you happiest
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 16:16   #29

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

P.S.
Once you have narrowed down your search most all boats have active owners groups. Go to them and ask what to look for and they will be happy to point out any specific things you should give a extra look to.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 19:27   #30

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I can personally recommend the Hunter Legend 35.5 (1990-1995). I owned a 94. Here are some of the reasons you will love it:

- Shallow draft (4.5 feet)

- Single line reefing (of the main). This means its easy to tuck a reef singlehanded, without leaving the cockpit.

- Stern shower AND a real shower below.

- Big (king size) bunk in the aft cabin. And a forward cabin suitable for guest couples.

- Yanmar power.

- Bow roller, furling jib, self tailing winches, hunter (stern rail) seats, etc...all standard equipment.

- Walk through transom with sugar scoop stern! That's where you hang out at anchor.

- High tension rig with double spreaders and tapered mast. Yes, this model has a conventional rig that includes a backstay. The no-backstay Hunters (with swept back spreaders) have chafe issues sailing downwind.

This was one of Hunters best models. Not only did it have all the creature comforts below, but it sailed very well too. Unfortunately, its well below your budget, which could be a deal breaker for you. Although you could step up to the Legend 37.5 or 40.5. However, these will increase your ownership costs, and draft. I'm a fan of keeping it small.

BTW...the pics are NOT "stock photos", that's me and my old boat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	182133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail-DAVE.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	182134  

Name:	Frm Companwy.jpg