Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 12:41   #1

Looking for a 35'-40' sailboat and need some help

Hello all,

Brand new to this site and forum and I hope I have come to the right place.

I am presently looking for a 35'-40' sailboat to use in the great lakes (mainly Georgian Bay) for cruising and staying aboard for extended periods (weeks at a time). I will be single handling this vessel from time to time, so not too sure if I need 'in mast furling' or not?
I have only owned power boats up to this point in time, but have always wanted to sail. (tired of putting $1,000 per trip in the tanks) I have taken 3 days of sailing school in Florida. (I know...not much)
My wife and I seem to lean towards the Hunter line...mainly for the looks and comfort.
My budget is around $70,000 USD and would just like to have all the information I can get before purchasing my new boat.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor
Heli_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 13:22   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Looking for a 35'-40' sailboat and need some help

The Hunter 356 is a GREAT couple cruiser for that price range. You should drill down some more to identify other things you would like in the boat and ask more specific questions on owner sites of those boats.

Now that I said this be prepared for the "standard replies". If you want you can cut pass it by searching old threads here. I of course went down this road and now have a Hunter. Not all Hunter's are good, but of course unlike on forums not all of them are bad.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2018, 13:23   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Welcome aboard. You have certainly come to the right place for opinions.

Here is mine. The Hunter line is probably a good choice for a first cruising sailboat to use in Georgian Bay. These boats are decently thought out and built. After owning a Hunter for a couple years you will either love it or be ready to move on. There is always a market for Hunters in good shape.

You do not need in mast furling. It has its pluses and minuses, plenty of opinions on this forum about it. I suggest not rejecting a boat because it has or does not have in mast furling.

By switch to sailing you will likely save money on gas, and find lots of other stuff to spend same money on.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 13:42   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Heli, and welcome. I spent a fair amount of time in the North Channel, and a bit of time in Georgian Bay. It’s a beautiful area.

I don’t know Hunter’s very well, but they generally seem fine to me. But there’s a lot of options out there in your price range. I wouldn’t fixate on brand so much as needs/wants.

With regard to single-handing a 35-40’ boat, it’s generally not a problem. But there are many more factors to consider before in-mast furling. Just rigging the boat appropriately will go a long way to making it easier to manage by yourself. Nothing wrong with a furling main, but it’s not the first thing to consider when thinking about soloing.
Old 12-12-2018, 13:48   #5

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Just did a quick search on yw. From 2000 to now every brand is there. I owned a humter 38 loved it. I think for lake sailing size range right in the middle of what you’re looking for would give you all the comfort options you need on your boat and sail comfortably. A lot of option. Go find 3 to 5 layouts you like and start there.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 15:43   #6

Boy did I come to the right place. Thanks sailorboy1, sparx, Mike and scuba. This is a great start. There are a lot more options if I don't need inmast furling for solo sailing. I would like to stay to the mid 90's and newer and would like to be able to make the boat 'my own'. I'm handy and would love to be able to change, upgrade and add features...especially electrical and electronics.
My wife and I are heading to Florida in a couple of weeks for 2 months and will spend some time looking at boat layouts to see what will fit our needs.
Old 12-12-2018, 16:01   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

The best thing you can do right now is get on board as many boats in your price/interest range. Spend as much time as you can getting to know them. Ideally you should try and get out and cruise in them, but whatever experience you get now will help with the final decision.

Like I say, there are lots of boats out there in your price range. And don’t be scared of older boats. Cruising level sailboats are not like cars, and perhaps not even like motorboats.
Old 12-12-2018, 17:32   #8

There are a lot of boats out there that meet your description. Are you looking for a "turn key", or one that needs a little TLC?. Your price range should get you a pretty decent sailboat although might be hard to find a good 40 at that price point. Most boats have furling headsails, a furling main would be nice but they can be problematic if not used correctly. A good main sail stack pack and lazy jacks system works well (in my opinion). Since you plan on sailing Georgian Bay I would keep max draft to about 6ft especially if you want to get into tight anchorages. Perhaps if this is your 1st sailboat do you need a 40 footer? as the costs go way up, just a thought. The overall condition of the vessel itself is important as it's easier to replace sails, canvas, but wet decks or a tired engine are not. This is just my opinion and there are lots of things to discuss and since it is winter you have lots time to investigate. All brands/boats have good and maybe not so good ones, I wouldn't get hung up on one brand check out all makes. Quite a mix at my marina, Hunter, Bavaria, Niagara, Beneteau, CS, Bayfield, C&C.
GeoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 18:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The best thing you can do right now is get on board as many boats in your price/interest range. Spend as much time as you can getting to know them. Ideally you should try and get out and cruise in them, but whatever experience you get now will help with the final decision.

Like I say, there are lots of boats out there in your price range. And don’t be scared of older boats. Cruising level sailboats are not like cars, and perhaps not even like motorboats.
Solid advise. We will make getting on boats a priority in Florida. Hopefully come back with some likely candidates and not totally confused.
Old 12-12-2018, 18:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBay View Post
There are a lot of boats out there that meet your description. Are you looking for a "turn key", or one that needs a little TLC?. Your price range should get you a pretty decent sailboat although might be hard to find a good 40 at that price point. Most boats have furling headsails, a furling main would be nice but they can be problematic if not used correctly. A good main sail stack pack and lazy jacks system works well (in my opinion). Since you plan on sailing Georgian Bay I would keep max draft to about 6ft especially if you want to get into tight anchorages. Perhaps if this is your 1st sailboat do you need a 40 footer? as the costs go way up, just a thought. The overall condition of the vessel itself is important as it's easier to replace sails, canvas, but wet decks or a tired engine are not. This is just my opinion and there are lots of things to discuss and since it is winter you have lots time to investigate. All brands/boats have good and maybe not so good ones, I wouldn't get hung up on one brand check out all makes. Quite a mix at my marina, Hunter, Bavaria, Niagara, Beneteau, CS, Bayfield, C&C.
Definitely don't mind and kind of want a bit of a project boat. (I just retired) That being said, I don't want a wreck or a boat that wasn't looked after.
Old 12-12-2018, 22:54   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

For your description of use there are a lot of boats in that size range that would be fine. I'd look for a well maintained and updated boat, perhaps one that the owner needs a quick sale. No need to fall in love with any particular model or brand. A Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau could all make fun great lake cruisers that also have plenty of potential to do more extensive trips too.
If its your first boat I'd stay away from a project boat.
Old 12-12-2018, 23:28   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

As others have said, there's alot of good options in that size and price range. In fact I regularly think that size and price range is perfect.

A boat that is rarely mentioned is the Freedom. It's obviously a personal choice but a later model, in good condition Freedom 38 would be on my to look at list.

A little newer and smaller is the Freedom 35, good quality, fast and easy to sail. They have dropped in price considerably in the last few years.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...sloop-3492573/
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 04:44   #13

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

It sounds like you have a good plan, and good budget for the range you are looking in. There is a good, and wide stock of different boats for sale in those ranges.

I would like to suggest a couple of popular boats around SW Michigan. Catalina 34's are very popular, and a great boat. Hunter 37 Cherubini's (also known as Hunter 37C) is also a great choice, with a cult following, and a great reputation. Sometimes a well found Hunter 40 pops up on the market. Other brands have been mentioned that would work quite well also.

Get on as many boats as you can, and takes notes as to what you like/don't like.
Old 13-12-2018, 05:28   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for a 35'-40' sailboat and need some help

Whatever boats you and your wife climb on try out the bunks.. ease of access climbing in and out, does the height of the deckhead make it feel claustrophobic, is the galley layout well designed for use at sea and the marina.. is the saloon something your comfortable lounging in and does not involve to much bum sliding for more than two people..
You will likely spend more time below than on deck sailing so give it as much if not a bit more consideration.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 06:12   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Great input so far.

Get the boat that is best for your needs and lifestyle. Production boats like Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau, and Jeanneau are just fine. The older Tartans and Sabres and others as well, though they tend not to have the more modern ergonomics (which is important).

Try to get the smallest boat possible. Bigger boats cost more in dockage, storage, maintenance. Typically, a 10 YO 35' will have the same usable space as a 25 YO 40', and it will have better ergonomics.

My opinion: find something with no or minimal external teak. It's a lot of work, and it's ten times the work to do right. You may be retired, but a boat needs constant maintenance, and throwing teak on the project list is one thing you don't need.

Something to consider: a Pilot House boat. This will make your early and late season much more enjoyable. Same for rainy days. You will probably have to look at 70s maybe early 80s boats, which are of course older with more maintenance. But give it some thought.

Back to ergonomics: if you are a regular swimmer and/or use the dinghy a lot, a step through (sugar scoop) transom is very handy, particularly as we age.

That said, good luck finding a Pilot House model with a sugar scoop anywhere near your price range.

Get a freshwater boat. Fresh water is much kinder on boats than saltwater. You may pay more, but it's worth it.

Buying a particular boat is a process of elimination. There are sometimes clues in ads that throw up big red warning flags. If you aren't sure what to watch out for, don't be afraid to post a link to the boat here and ask for input. For example, I found a beautiful boat that fits our needs, but the old (undoubtedly leaky) teak decks had been encapsulated with an overlay of fiberglass...NO WAY. So ask- it's free.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat