Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 18:30   #16

Re: Looking at two boats Saturday

HappyMDsailor, that dock was a big reason we could do this new life adventure. BUT while reviewing ICW charts and looking at the bridges all the way down from Orange Park, Fl, (just S of Jax. on the st Johns) the last bridge (Pineda Causway) just North of Dragons Point, and South of Cocoa Beach is .............................. only 43 feet high. Six feet lower than our 49 ft mast. Anybody ready for the "Okeechobee Limbo".

If we can do it, we will, if not, its not a deal breaker. We will just slide into a marina slip for a few months (6) before we go. Actually I'm not THAT upset about it,as a marina will be more conveinient to get in and out of, for more practice on the Indian River with the new boat.

Any how......., Ma and Pa got a new dock outta the deal!
Moparots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 18:54   #17

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparots View Post
HappyMDsailor, that dock was a big reason we could do this new life adventure. BUT while reviewing ICW charts and looking at the bridges all the way down from Orange Park, Fl, (just S of Jax. on the st Johns) the last bridge (Pineda Causway) just North of Dragons Point, and South of Cocoa Beach is .............................. only 43 feet high. Six feet lower than our 49 ft mast. Anybody ready for the "Okeechobee Limbo".

If we can do it, we will, if not, its not a deal breaker. We will just slide into a marina slip for a few months (6) before we go. Actually I'm not THAT upset about it,as a marina will be more conveinient to get in and out of, for more practice on the Indian River with the new boat.

ActiveCaptain shows that bridge as 65'...anyone with local knowledge care to comment?
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 20:50   #18

It's been over thirty years since I sailed out of Merritt Island on the Indian River, but I still remember never having a problem with any bridge in the area including Pineda Causeway. All the bridges back then were 65'. I doubt they rebuilt and lowered it in the ensuing time.
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:42   #19

The bridge in question is on the Banana River, East of the Indian River. Its not part of the ICW. As you head South on the ICW, past Cocoa Beach, you have to make the turn around Dragons Point (just N of the Eau Gallie Causway bridge) into the Bananna River I hope yall are right and Im wrong. It would make my life easier.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The bridge in question is on the Banana River, East of the Indian River. Its not part of the ICW. As you head South on the ICW, past Cocoa Beach, you have to make the turn around Dragons Point (just N of the Eau Gallie Causway bridge) into the Bananna River I hope yall are right and Im wrong. It would make my life easier.
Unfortunately you are probably right. I looked this on the chart and the eastern span of the bridge as you go back north is listed at fixed 43' clearance.

Are you sure the mast is 49'? It has been 40 years since I sailed an OI36 but didn't remember the rig was that tall.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:51   #21

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Congrats on your new boat. I'm in the same marina and have been surprised that Morgan stayed on the market so long. It looks great.

Steve
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:23   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Congrats on the new boat! And congrats to Ma & Pa on the new dock too.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The last time I turned up the Banana River around Dragon Point the Pineda Bridge was an opening, not a fixed, bridge. When I googled a photo of the bridge I saw that it was not fixed. Maybe it has been rebuilt as a fixed bridge; afterall, the last time I was the the Dragons were still at Dragon Point!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:37   #24

Quote:
Sorry about that. You didn't say you were trying to go down the Banana River. Hope it works out for you. I remember the Banana River as being unpredictable for depths and navigation in general for a sailboat. Hopefully, over the years, that has been improved.

By the way, I looked at a chart and it seems SR 520 has a bridge with only 36' vertical clearance. If your dock is between SR520 and Hwy 404 (Pineda Causeway), you could be out of luck. However if you just need to get south of Hwy 404, then go down the Indian River and turn east then north into the south end of the Banana River. There is a swing bridge to go through and the water is shallow, but you may be able to get through.
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 17:59   #25

Thanks for all the posts. The Eastern side (Banana River) of the Pineda Causeway bridge is definetly 43 feet. ( I drove over and checked it myself: ) ) Not too worried about draft, as this Morgan has a very shallow draft.

Hudson, yes there is a bridge JUST before (South) that is an opening bridge, but Pineda is JUST South of Patrick AFB. North of the bridge you mentioned.

To save some marina cost, my thoughts were to keep the boat in a marina a few months, then gain expeirence with the boat to motor under the bridge at a 30 degree heel, to clear it. Thoughts....

SteveW: Yes it was one of our deciding factors in buying the boat, it was so nice and so many things had been done to it.. Please feel free to PM me with your phone #, or email so we can talk about it. I will be coming up one day next week. Moparots@aol.com
Old 16-11-2014, 05:04   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Thanks for all the posts. The Eastern side (Banana River) of the Pineda Causeway bridge is definetly 43 feet. ( I drove over and checked it myself ...
SR 404, Pineda Cswy (St. Mile 909) Fixed Bridges:
65' Clearance Over ICW
43' Clearance Over Banana River
Space Coast Bridges
Chart Four

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 06:05   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:

Well ain't this a wallet buzzkill??? Bummer...

A buddy of mine just did some experimenting with the ballast bag hung from a Walker Bay through the keel slot.... I thought that was a brilliant idea... No reports on how it worked, I haven't seen him afterwords...

His rig is still in one piece though!!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote