Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 10:00   #1

Boat: 1984 Cal 31
Looking at day sailers - need help

I have a bigger boat, a 'project' boat, that was given to me, a 1984 Cal 31. I am replacing some bulkheads (rain leaks) and learning a lot and actually enjoying the process. However, I need to get out on the water, if only on the little tributaries and rivers here in Hampton Roads.

I have decided to pick up a small day sailer. My older daughter just took an Opti class and enjoyed herself. My wife and I have completed ASA 101 and 103 and would like to get out on the water more. I now have a tow hitch on a car and can pull a small trailer. I have an angle on a used Laser that sounds like a good deal, but I think this is not the right boat for fun family sailing.

So, I am now looking at this boat:
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5076424396.html
I plan to call the owner as he emailed me his number. However, any thoughts on what model this is? He clearly eludes that it may be of British construction due to the hardware and sails. I have looked at a few Brit day sailers in the 12-13 foot range, but haven't come across any that have the same tiny bridgedeck and open transom of this boat.

If I can't figure out the make/model, it isn't the end of the world. I could still get replacement sails (my first concern) through other methods, but it will complicate things (and possibly cost more). I like that it can be rowed. I like the general size. I'd like to make an offer, but my dinghy knowledge is limited and I am looking for thoughts on the make/model and suitability for fun family sailing.

Thanks in advance.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:39   #2

Re: Looking at day sailers - need help

If you truly want to infect your family with the sailing bug, the day sailor should be big enough to take the whole family, and be comfortable enough for an extended day's outing. So I'm sort of in agreement with Steady Hand on size.

And you also need to decide on your mix of trailering and sailing. If it's an ordeal to get to someplace to launch the boat, and then they have a less than stunning experience in a tippy dinghy, you may create a family of motorboaters... or landlubbers.

But dinghies can be good fun. For the linked one, ask for a pic of any emblem on the head of the sail, which can identify the class. Also most boats have a builders plate.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:01   #3

I got an email from the seller - no data plate on the boat. However, on the mast is a plate that says International Yachts in England.

I do agree that size is important and the Laser is rapidly falling out as an option. Whether this boat is big enough, I can likely only determine through a visit.

I appreciate those who chimed in with advice. However, (also said in the nicest tone), I didn't ask for general shopping advice, although I can see where the title may have mislead you, especially if you didn't read my actual post. What I am looking for is help in identifying the boat in the ad, not help in finding me a boat. That was my only question, as easily ascertained by the question marks (just one) in my post. My last sentence reiterates that I am "looking for thoughts on the make/model and suitability for fun family sailing" of the specific boat in the ad.

I get it, lots of newbies here, and folks want to help. I did mention that I was considering lasers and folks may have interpreted that as not knowing what I needed. My kids are ages 5 & 10. Trailering is not difficult for me - easy access to ramps and lots of places to go. Cats are cool, but storage isn't as convenient as they take up a lot of space. I don't want a building project (right now), as I have a lot going on with my bigger boat (I want to go sailing now). So, does anyone else have any ideas on the type of dinghy this may be?

I'll keep my posts shorter and more to the point in the future. That will help those who don't read much.

Tankersteve
Old 23-06-2015, 13:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post

SNIP: "...my dinghy knowledge is limited and I am looking for thoughts on the make/model and suitability for fun family sailing."

Thanks in advance.

Tankersteve
I suppose I did not read your original post as carefully as I could have.

Now it is clear you just want information on that ONE boat you want to make an offer on and ONLY that boat.

Good luck on your decision.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:50   #5

I think you will find that it's a bit small for 2 adults and a two children.
A far better fit would be an O Day Mariner 2+2
Ok I'm a bit biased cause I have one, but it's a ton of fun,
Great to Sail and Learn on, Stable and Trailerable
Big Cockpit holds 4 with no problem and it has a small cabin
that is big enough to take a nap in and also for a Porta-Potti
Check out the active association at
Usmariner.org
There are a few for sale and this boat is still being manufactured
by Stuart Marine. First boats off the line in 1963
Mine is a 73'
See the pics
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	104126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	104127  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	104128  
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:59   #6

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

It looks like both the bridge and the cover over the storage area could be modifications. If so, that really opens up your possibilities of what this could be.

Or, the measurements could be off and it could be an O'day Javelin. That is what I have found that it most resembles.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 17:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I suppose I did not read your original post as carefully as I could have.

Now it is clear you just want information on that ONE boat you want to make an offer on and ONLY that boat.

Good luck on your decision.

I keep finding more issues with how I wrote my original post. I said day sailers when I should have said dinghies. I am looking for a light, trailerable dinghy, that can fit at least 2 comfortably. I found one but I don't know what it is, and neither does the seller. OK, the rest I wrote earlier:

Steady Hand,

Yeah, at this point, I am just curious what the make and model is of this boat. You offered good guidance, but it wasn't what I thought I was asking for. It is helpful for anybody trying to find a boat. I'll spend somewhere around $2500 for a decent boat, but location is important, and you can't find dinghies like you can research keel boats. At this time, I just was hoping someone could identify this particular boat. I like to know what to look for on a boat when I go to inspect it. Hope I didn't rub your fenders wrong.

Greenhand, thanks. I think I'll take a look at this boat, and at least try to determine if it is original or modified, and thus disguising its origins, as it isn't too far from me. Plus, I am not sure if it is big enough for the family. Something like a Flying Scot may be a better option, and I can still tow that.

Time2Go, I appreciate the thought, but that is too big for what I want. My tow vehicle is a diesel wagon (VW), and I am not paying for another slip. A lightweight trailerable dinghy (around $2500) is my goal. I just need to determine if 12.5' is big enough, and whether this boat is sound.

Tankersteve
Old 24-06-2015, 08:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
I appreciate those who chimed in with advice. However, (also said in the nicest tone), I didn't ask for general shopping advice, although I can see where the title may have mislead you, especially if you didn't read my actual post.
Responding (also in the nicest tone )

1. If you don't want a conversation, don't start one. The backstory wasn't germane to "what dinghy is this?"
  2. It's a public forum.
Still within your budget and size/weight range, you could look for a Wayfarer or a CL-16 - these are larger dinghies (more people), and more stable. Also consider an American 18, but they're probably a bit over the budget.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:15   #9

Fully acknowledge. I hope to use this thread to help find a good sailing dinghy. I should have been more clear, and stated up front that I am looking at some and am looking for specific info on this one at this time. I may have questions about others later. But that wasn't necessarily clear, especially with the title.

I'll relook my expectations and methodology of posting as I am seeing a pattern in my posts that lead me to believe that the problem is me.

Tankersteve
Old 24-06-2015, 08:33   #10
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

$1100?? Sails are likely worth that much. Buy it. No like? Sell it.
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:57   #11

Boat: Outbound 46

When we decided to buy a family-style boat, with our two small children, we chose a Flying Scot. There are many, many available, and it is an extremely comfortable and easy to sail boat. If you get excited about racing, there are fleets all over. But if you just want to putter around, you will find it a great fit.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:13   #12

Boat: 1979 Tanzer 7.5

Hi there. It looks like an albacore. My father picked one up this winter and is storing it at my place. Together we are going to learn to sail on it. It looks like it could hold 2 adults. After cleaning the hull I found the identification
?burned? into the sole of the boat. Between the daggerboard holder and the stern.
michaelrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 15:50   #13

Boat: Scout 30

The way this forum works is it doesn't always matter what your original post is. Once you open the door you never know who or what will walk in. That being said I've noticed that the unintended direction that these threads take is often the most interesting & valuable so just flow with it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:45   #14

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The way this forum works is it doesn't always matter what your original post is. Once you open the door you never know who or what will walk in. That being said I've noticed that the unintended direction that these threads take is often the most interesting & valuable so just flow with it.
While this is true, in this case if the OP had just said "I am going to take a look at this boat, can anyone ID it?" the general tone of the responses probably would have been very different.

The more you write in a post, the more people have to respond to. And once someone responds, someone else might ad lib off that response, and...
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail