Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 20:34   #16

Boat: Custom 49' aluminium mono
Re: Little Harbor 50

Thanks Erika! I've been offline for a while but still searching.... BTW I just love your blog :-) You're living the life.
Do you know Cara Mia, a LH50 currently in Western Australia? It's for sale for A$375k
cheers
Jo
travellers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 23:39   #17

Boat: Moody 425

FYI That LF50 in Western Australia is now down to A$330K ( About 300k US).
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 00:01   #18

Thanks for the heads-up :-)
She is a real beauty.
I'm glad I'm not trying to sell my pride & joy in this market.....
Old 12-11-2013, 00:51   #19

Boat: Little Harbor 46

Me too! I think our 46 might be an heirloom to be passed on father to son!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Godber View Post
Me too! I think our 46 might be an heirloom to be passed on father to son!
Daddy????

Are you my Daddy???? Did mum tell you about me??

I'm sure I must be your long lost son.....
Old 12-11-2013, 02:30   #21

Boat: Little Harbor 46

Shush! My wife reads this forum!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 08:55   #22

FYI, check whether Cara Mia has had hull repair. I believe it had some damage repaired a few years ago on its port side.
Pete Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:33   #23

Hello All
We settled on Cara Mia a month ago.
She's a fantastic LH50 that has been lovingly cared for and has had constant upgrades. She's had no hull damage and is seriously seaworthy and ready for our cruising adventures.
Cheers
Nigel & Marcy
nigelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 16:59   #24

That's fantastic news, congratulations. She's a dream yacht. We have just made our purchase too so it was all meant to be, ours in a custom 47 and a real beauty. If you'd like some doco we have prior to her previous purchase pm me 🙂
Old 25-11-2015, 23:21   #25

Congratulations Nigel and Marcy, A beautiful boat.

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time cruising on her.
Old 26-11-2015, 08:15   #26

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

can't say anything about 50 personally but I worked on a little harbor 60 for a season and it was superb, wonderful boat, sailed beautifully loved the looks of the boat as well.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 17:06   #27

Hello all
I haven’t posted in quite a while however I thought I’d give an update on the Little Harbor 50.
Cara Mia has provided us with many joyful sailing days over the past 5 years and during that time we have had the opportunity to go through her in detail.
With our growing marine business we have found ourselves in the fortunate position to be able to allocate one of our shipwrights to Cara Mia this year to attend to some of the cosmetic items which need attention....we are essentially resetting the clock for the next 20 years.
We’ve had her out of the water several times for surveys and upgrades, especially below the waterline. The blisters which any yacht of this age will acquire have all been treated with epoxy as they appear....surprisingly none of them went past the filler into the fibreglass....another testament to how well the Little Harbors were built and justification once again for our purchase of her. There was some discussion of hull damage from a previous grounding and as such we were keen to investigate this prior to our purchase. As it turned out, there was minor cosmetic damage to the keel area which was repaired by shipwrights prior to arriving in Australia.
With the upgrade of plumbing systems (new heads, holding tanks etc) and new fixtures and fittings we are bringing her back as close to ‘as new’ condition as possible.
Standing rigging is all rod rigging and undergoes regular inspection....essentially it’s bulletproof...new running rigging is on the list for this year...I like clean new sheets but that’s just me.
Our shipwrights are refurbishing the hatches and portholes which brightens up the external appearance.....they are all beautifully made from stainless and come up ‘as new’ with new acrylic and seals which are all still available commercially. New acrylic is cut in-house on our CNC router.
The brightwork, both internal and external is being refinished....who doesn’t like freshly finished brightwork. New canvas for the spray dodger and bimini is being made in-house by our trimmers in order to enclose the cockpit against the winter weather.
The Hood in-mast furler is perfect for short handed sailing as are the electric winches....kick on the autopilot and set your sails as you desire....this year will see a review of the furler gearbox/control board and all the winches.
The electronics suite had been upgraded before our purchase and is more than complete. As an electronics engineer by profession I always want to see neat, well thought out and implemented electrical/communications systems. I’ve had the opportunity to upgrade some of Cara Mia’s systems but only insofar as upgrading the bow thruster electrical system to the design recommended by the manufacturers...bow thrusters operating on 12 volt systems always need to be designed and implemented with great care to make sure they operate efficiently.
We see ourselves as custodians of Cara Mia and eventually she will pass on from us for new adventures.....our aim is to ensure she is in better condition than we received her....again that’s just us. We’ve taken great pleasure in recording the various jobs and are in the process of putting them up on our Youtube channel or website.
nigelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:26   #28

Boat: Sabre 402

Nigel, are you selling her, and if so, why? Your post reads like a mid-life update, not a farewell, but there's a Cara Mia on the market in Perth, which I'm assuming isn't a coincidence.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...or-50-3238294/

Genuinely curious simply for curiosity's sake. I grew up sailing on a Ted Hood design and it's always been my dream to buy my own once I retire and have time to care for the brightwork, but that's at least a decade off.
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 20:36   #29

Boat: S+S36

Hi Nigel, Are you still selling your yacht? Thanks in advance Craig
Choppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 03:17   #30

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

when this LH50 was for sale 6-7 years ago, I looked at it, but the seller's price was bigger than my wallet. I did not see it out of the water then.
It was then at Hillary's harbour.

I live in WA and never seen another LH 50 here, other than this one. So I guess that the one on yachtworld is this one. Hmm looks even like the original ad from 2015 and then some comments added on the end.
Strange as it not listed on the usual Oz websites.
Here is a photo that was published around that time, this one is with US flag, but the ad at the time showed the identical photo with an Oz flag.
When I am back in Perth, might have a look again, as they are beautiful boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LH50 us.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	254407