Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 16:48   #31

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: List of Sailboats that you can BEACH...

Nobody said West Wight Potter? Or you just looking for beachable boats over 30' now?
Old 25-03-2013, 20:41   #32

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Nobody said West Wight Potter? Or you just looking for beachable boats over 30' now?
I WAS honestly looking for a boat that the family and I could/would beach for the day on picnics along calmer west coast islands. I learned a valuable lesson from this post that will stick with me all the days I have left... And that is simply-- a boat's character (composition) is a delicate balance-- attributes + / - always have a relational effect on one another. As I add and take away from my list of what is important to me-- two things remain steadfast= Her Blue Water capability + Integrity of her Craftsmanship. I won't define either of those-- as they are personal items defined by me,'for me-- and those that entrust their safety to me whilst 'skippering'.

Wrap up: I am no longer looking for a beachable boat-- those are for 20'ers and fun racers with Centerboards-- not for a family of 5... Sucks getting old... But would not trade it to be young and stupid again...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 02:14   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Any boat can be beached.
True. The real exercise is in the unbeaching of it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Any boat can be beached.
This is true. Although I think post'er would prefer to sit in the boat to have dinner, as opposed to a folding table on the sand! LOL
djaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46   #35

Hey check out webster marine (if you havn't already) Theres a 26ft CRUSADER up for grabs @17K. "TWIN KEEL". I'm slightly bias though as I'm familiar with the designer Dennis Knight. I have the plans my grandfather bought from dennis in the 70's. My g'dad bought plans for a 21ft WARATAH twin keel. Not strange though is that the Crusader has basically the same hull, just bigger in lenght and depth. At 5 & a bit tons i'd be careful of soft sand and mud though....it won't end well. (I have pics of the Waratah up to its guts in mud !)
djaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Beaching an aluminum centerboard design is a design feature but was intended for the Britany coast and no water at low tide. These boats primary design feature is how well they cruise in open ocean. Most aluminum centerboard boats have two coats of two part epoxy as a barrier for bottom paint. Putting it on the beach often could be expensive as the bottom paint will scrape off when she makes contact with sand. That being said it is a nice option to have.
Brittany coast much the same as elsewhere. Sand. Mud and Muddy Sand (and lots of rocks! - big and small!).....the ablative nature of mud much the same as sand - and certainly the cummulative effect more so on a permanent tidal mud mooring than from an occassional beaching on sand.

Biggest concern with a flat bottomed boat is not parking her accidently on a rock / stone (or car?!) hidden amongst the otherwise soft(ish) bottom......and in any event never wise to park a boat on an unknown (by sight!) bottom, even if you have a couple of keels (I have 3!) to avoid many things poking up through the bilge!

For beaching (on a beach) whatever the hull type (or number!) want to avoid being on a shore in bad weather / rollers (surf?!) and having the boat pound up and down, either as she settles or lifts (Boat rises - sea recedes - boat comes down. hard bump - same as dropping a boat a few inches (or a few feet!) from a hoist). Keels do punch through! and they also transmit loads into the structure that the boat was not designed for.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34   #37

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Heres a bunch of beachable sail boats, most of them Home built. I had my WW potter there the year before this.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2I-xBRcZZG...0/IMG_0781.JPG

This is taken during the Texas 200.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58   #38

I love the Southerly's, that can be beached as they are made for the upper European low tides. They have a lifting keel with dual rudder.. very beachable and designed to do so... I hope to own one in the near future
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn L II View Post
@ Old Jersey--- Yes-- Looking for a Blue Water between 36'-44'...

@WillJaCocks-- Love cats man-- out of my price range for the quality and feature set I want for our 1st 'big' boat... Agreed-- CATs rock, but suck in small west Florida canals-- can be a pain in a$$..

@Curmudgeon--- Man-- great POST-- I had no idea that the Jeanneau's had beachable models-- That is the best news I have read today!! Not into Aluminum boats though...

@Jedi---- Thanks-- never heard of that boat maker-- I am going to research it this eve.

@ David M---- Ha ha... Yes-- and we all have seen Youtube Episodes on how they sometimes STAY there and become a LOCAL Artificial REEF... lol... Again-- it was--gentle vertical beaching i was looking for...
take a look at the Hake 46....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:21   #40
ost

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I would take my S2 6.9 up on a sand beach (keel up of course), but then again bottom paint is expensive.
ost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:06   #41

Boat: Comet 41s

A lot of modern twin keelers. The most known are the RM (the RM 1260 was this year's European Family cruiser). And a lot of not so modern ones, the British Hunters, for example.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59   #42

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn L II View Post

@Curmudgeon--- Man-- great POST-- I had no idea that the Jeanneau's had beachable models-- That is the best news I have read today!! Not into Aluminum boats though...

I've got a Jeanneau 379 which is one of the aforementioned beachable models (if you have the swing keel version). These boats aren't beachable in the sense that you might think. They still draw between 3 and 4 feet and have fixed rudders so you aren't going to be driving it up on a beach for the afternoon. They are designed for places with a big tidal swing that gradually and gently sets the boat on a sandy bottom. The boat then balances like a tripod on the swing keel housing, which is external and looks like a stubby wing keel, and the two rudders.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 22:43   #43
Sponsoring Vendor

The Wylo 35.5 gaff rigges steel cutter comes with beaching legs and strong points as standard. This part of the design is more aimed at being able to have a lower cost of ownership/ lower cruising budget. You can beach the boat between tides for below the waterline maintenance without the costs/complexity/detours associated with a lift out . You could also do it just for fun.
Willie@VoyagingYachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 10:53   #44

Boat: 37ft Buehler

Hi steel the way to go if you want to put them on the beach and this ones for sale
mikeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 12:07   #45

Boat: 1984 Hunter 36ft sloop

I have a Catalina 22ft, swing keel. Ive beached her...