Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 23:34   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: List of Sailboats that you can BEACH...

Just out of curiosity, what does a Boreal 44 cost?? I just fell in lust with that boat. Unfortunately, pretty sure it falls into the, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it," category. Price was conspicuously absent in the website.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:48   #17

Boat: Boereal 44

Hi Evelyn, The boat was designed as an expedition boat. I guess that means just a little or a lot beefier than the average cruising boat. The hull is modern design and she easily does 8 knots. Her stability index is very good as she has a keel with over 10,000 lbs in it. Chain locker is just in front of mast to bring weight to center. Stability is better than the Ovni and equal or a little better than the Garcias. But I don't think that matters as much on a modern centerboard boat. The boat draws 3 feet with the center board up.
Good luck with your search.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:54   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I forgot about the Boreal. And now I want one again.

Also, look at Caroff's designs

GILBERT CAROFF-DUFLOS - ARCHITECTURE NAVALE
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:00   #19

Shallow draft is good, never thought about beaching -- interesting thread.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:22   #20

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn L II View Post
@stevewrye-- man that boat is definitely a cruiser... The lines on her denote a slower -Tugboat-like action in the water... Lol... I did look at the newer ones online-- beautiful boat. It looks like she is not very swift through though by the LOA/LWL ratio-- I wonder what the hull speed the manufacturer set on the 46'? Or the stability index for her?!
Any Brent Swayne designed boat can be beached. Google him to see his boats
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:26   #21

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Also-- if you are coming into a beach area (while under sail) that has swimming roped off--- most public beaches welcome you-- and gawk at the boat. You would be surprised how many land-lubbers are in awe of how a sailboat functions, much less the beauty of her so close and under sail. Again--- check your own states laws and regs-- but the Fl Keys have always been extremely lax on this topic... I have heard the opposite from northern parts of Fl though--- I am sure there are some veterans north of Miami that can attest to the "No SAIL ZONE"... lol....
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:58   #22

Evelyn,

Just to let you know most of the boats mentioned are not intended to bring up on the beach whenever you feel like it. The design comes from the northern French coast where tides are over 20 feet and boats on the hook or mooring can sit on the sand at low tide as that's all there is is sand everywhere.

Not saying you can't do it but you are better off anchoring in shallow water and walking or swimming to shore.

I can see someone bringing a 44 foot boat into a swimming area, I don't think they would be popular.
Old 21-03-2013, 08:49   #23

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

It's great to be able to park a boat on the sand and just step off and walk to shore - but - you better watch out! You might step off the boat and sink into the sand up to your chest like I did at Lake Mead in Nevada with my Nimble 20! Quick sand everywhere! I had a fun time extracting myself from that! Talk about stuck in the mud!!!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 22:44   #24

Westerly Centaur. Has a shallow double keel (bilge keel). I heard it will stand straight up on a beach or mud flat.

Built tough for the North Sea.
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 03:50   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Evelyn,

Just to let you know most of the boats mentioned are not intended to bring up on the beach whenever you feel like it. The design comes from the northern French coast where tides are over 20 feet and boats on the hook or mooring can sit on the sand at low tide as that's all there is is sand everywhere.

Not saying you can't do it but you are better off anchoring in shallow water and walking or swimming to shore.

I can see someone bringing a 44 foot boat into a swimming area, I don't think they would be popular.
I wouldn't agree, its a primary design feature of Ovnis that they can be beached.

Dave
Old 25-03-2013, 06:01   #26

Boat: contessa 32

Sharpies are very beach-able and as David M in post #10 above, slyly suggests the issue may be :how unbeach-able are they? OP. did qualify that in beaching craft should remain upright (more or less?) and most sharpies will do this nicely.
In protected waters esp. with little tidal range, a small beach able craft opens up many opportunities like camping or exploring ashore ,getting supplies,a chance for some lower body exercise etc. without the need for a separate tender with all its attendant gear and risk of theft. Of course for the most part we are discussing smaller craft but much of the limitations are ameliorated but the easy access to shore and the lack of a cumbersome dingy (head?) taking up so much space on your smaller craft.
Sharpies and other camp cruisers answer nicely the newbie question as to where to start on a limited budget ;and with a simple trailer can easily get to distant cruising grounds by highway while avoiding marina and storage costs.
IMHO a higher level of seamanship will be attained ( and ultimately required )by the small craft adventurer than many well heeled owners ever attain in their titiainium Crab Crusher outfitted to go to the moon.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 11:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wouldn't agree, its a primary design feature of Ovnis that they can be beached.

Dave
Dave,

Beaching an aluminum centerboard design is a design feature but was intended for the Britany coast and no water at low tide. These boats primary design feature is how well they cruise in open ocean. Most aluminum centerboard boats have two coats of two part epoxy as a barrier for bottom paint. Putting it on the beach often could be expensive as the bottom paint will scrape off when she makes contact with sand. That being said it is a nice option to have.

I hope this link will work. It shows what one would have to assume a guys get together on an Ovnis and maybe and a little too much wine as their choice of beaching was not so good.
on you tube type in "Ovnis bretan.flv"

cheers
Old 25-03-2013, 12:15   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Most aluminum centerboard boats have two coats of two part epoxy as a barrier for bottom paint.
hmmm, I dont believe Ovnis have barrier coats, they dont recommend coper based antifouing in any circumstance.
Old 25-03-2013, 16:01   #29

Any full keel sailboat, or cat or tri CAN be beach. NO sailboat SHOULD be beached on purpose. Beaching a boat is for power boats that don't live in the water, hence no bottom paint, nor the smarts to know that all it takes is one sharp rock right under the sand or a pipe to really ruin ones day.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Dave,

Beaching an aluminum centerboard design is a design feature but was intended for the Britany coast and no water at low tide. These boats primary design feature is how well they cruise in open ocean. Most aluminum centerboard boats have two coats of two part epoxy as a barrier for bottom paint. Putting it on the beach often could be expensive as the bottom paint will scrape off when she makes contact with sand. That being said it is a nice option to have.

I hope this link will work. It shows what one would have to assume a guys get together on an Ovnis and maybe and a little too much wine as their choice of beaching was not so good.
on you tube type in "Ovnis bretan.flv"

cheers
I just watched that video and find it really scary to believe that they are that stupid and sailing around others. When beaching is required always drop an anchor in deep water. It's the only situation in which a danforth shines as it's what it was designed for. Pulling military landing craft back off beaches. And then when trying to tow or warp off off they have 5 big guys forward of the mast wondering why the bow didn't seem to want to float?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote