Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 10:54   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Light airs, short handed

I'm planning on moving to a bigger boat soon and am wondering what the best approach is to light airs. My 25' boat has hank-on sails and when there isn't much wind I hank on the largest foresail I have and make the best of it.

I'm looking at a move to a ~40' boat, either cutter rigged or a masthead sloop. There will be roller furling this time . I'm wondering what the best, most practical approach to light airs is in boats like that, particularly given that I often sail shorthanded. That is, either by myself or with crew that don't leave the cockpit.

I am wondering what light air sail or sails are most appropriate, and trying to understand whether they take the place of the genoa (or yankee) on the roller, or require their own stay, or can be flown with a free luff.

Trying to take a holistic approach and understand the overall solutions and their tradeoffs. I don't race, I just don't like to motor. Advice welcome.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:19   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Light airs, short handed

Most big boat cruisers motor in light air especially if there is an adverse current.

You might want to check with the racers but it's basically steer/adjust sail using the upper tell tales, ease the sheets a bit, ease the downhaul, use your most flexible set of battens, use your older sails, mast more forward, ease the prebend maybe, and largest sails if you have them
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:26   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Around here when "air" disappears (July and August) I see big genoas or spinnakers. If sails are up at all. Don't know how attached or managed.

-Chris
Old 22-08-2019, 11:26   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

I guess what I'm asking is -- does it make sense to have one or more light air sails in that situation? -- and if so, which ones?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:28   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Depending on where you sail it might be time to research a spinnaker. Chances are whatever boat you buy may have one in near new condition or you'll be able to pick up a lightly used one for a reasonable price. With a scoop you should no problem single handing it, just make sure to take it down early if you think the winds going to pick up or have a second set of hands around as they get ignorant with wind speed. If you want something easier you can always under size the spin for the boat or look for a flanker (if anyone still makes them?)
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I guess what I'm asking is -- does it make sense to have one or more light air sails in that situation? -- and if so, which ones?
Air direction is a big decider on this. If you want a "general" light air tactic the answer might be "as much canvas as possible". This would only work in some instances though. For example if your only option is virtually a DDW direction then having the main up could shield your genny and would be less efficient than headsail alone. For that matter the genny may be a poor choice too if you had a spinnaker.

There's alot of different combinations here but the good news is if you choose poorly you'd just move slower. Unlike making a poor choice of canvas in storm conditions which could range from scary to deadly.

Try different stuff and watch your speed as an indicator of "good adjustment vs. bad". Light air will teach you a ton about sail trim. Just make sure you learn from it as you go.
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:57   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromTheNorth View Post
Air direction is a big decider on this.

For that matter the genny may be a poor choice too if you had a spinnaker.

Yeah, I don't think I see gennys and spinnakers at the same time; either one or the other.

Or sometimes wing-on-wing with normal jib and main for DDW.

Mind you, I'm only half paying attention (at best) to the details of sail rigs most of the time, and (see avatar) not a great authority on the topic anyway. And my main is made of fiberglass. Oh, wait, I've got those iron things...

-Chris
Old 22-08-2019, 12:26   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Jammer, where you sail and how long you are likely to be on one heading plays a big role in deciding about light wind sails. The Mississippi, Lake Peppin I would just use the Yankees, staysail and main. My boat is a 42’ cutter so very like what you are contemplating. I’m a lazy cruiser and almost always sail with my main, staysail and yankee. I’d rather tack downwind than aim dead downwind. I can pull the staysail on its boom out to windward with a tackle like a preventer. Sure there are some occasions when I wish for a big light downwind sail but those times are few and not worth the expense or effort to me. If I was contemplating a long passage in light winds I would want a cruising chute on its own top down furler or possibly (cheaper) in a sock. In either option the yankee would remain furled on the forestay. Sailing solo I would not want to mess with a spinnaker nor with changing to lighter headsails.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 12:35   #9

I look at it similar to the above post as well as a cruising sailor these days. Use what you have in light air until it's just to light then motor but be most prepared for the big wind..

Most anything will work in light air to a point but if you want to spend money on sails spend it on a second and third set of reef points and a smaller jib etc
Old 22-08-2019, 14:57   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Light air needs more sail area. Since you can’t (easily or inexpensively) make your main larger you’re stuck with adjusting the size of your headsail. A very large overlapping genoa, 150-170% of the fore triangle area, will work for upwind and reaching, and downwind poled out to windward to run wing and wing.

If you already have a largish genoa (120-135%) then maybe instead of an even larger genoa get a code 0 on its own endless furler - that will be useful from about 60-70 degrees apparent to downwind on a pole.

Large furling sails are your friends when shorthanded. Always put the large sail away when you have enough sail area for your regular sails, typically at 10-12 knots apparent wind strength. This is a light wind sail and is not built to be used when furled.

Don’t bother with a spinnaker for downwind if you’re effectively single handing as it’s a fair bit of work to set up and later to take down.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:06   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-2

On our Tartan 27 the boat came with a gennaker on it's own furler. That works well in light air, short handed. On the Pearson 34-2 we just got, it also came with a gennaker, at least I think it is, I have not looked at it yet. Since both boats came with them I have to think they are a good way to go. I am anxious to see how it works on the 34 footer, but other repairs and things have to get done first.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:09   #12

Boat: Jason 35 cutter

Jammer,

FWIW, I just purchased a "drifter" for my Jason 35 (16,000+ pounds). It is a 120%, free flying heads'l made with 1.5 ounce nylon. It has an Amsteel line in the luff so that you can really crank on it. Since I also single hand I purchased a sock for dousing it. I use 5/16" regatta braid for sheets. On the test sail we had very light wind and the drifter had us moving at 2+ knots which is good enough for me so that I don't turn the engine on.
SaulTeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:14   #13

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have a code zero on a furler and spinnaker in a sock. The autopilot acts as a second crew. The spinnaker is a handful single handed but doable. I will use the code zero more because it keeps me in the cockpit and fly the genoa on the other side for downhill sailing. If I have a crossing more than one day, I will fly spinnaker during day then go genoa or code zero at night. Of course it depends upon the wind. An auto helm is essential equipment (with back up parts) while single handing.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:52   #14

Run your engine just above idle (since a sailboat's engine doesn't usually get enough run time anyway) and use the sails you have.

Light air strategy is usually for racers on boats without engines or those cruisers low on fuel

I did this today (idled the engine due to light winds while sailing) and there was another maybe 45'-50' plumb bow late model boat sailing along the coast where the best wind was on starboard with total right of way but no where to go due to the bridge which is about 2 miles past my creek. We were on a perpendicular course for maybe 2 hours

I crossed 2-3 boat lengths ahead as he is leaning out looking......I entered my creek on the far side away from him but it was definitely an impromptu to race
Old 23-08-2019, 13:37   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Single hand my 35' boat. Have a 135% genoa on a furler that works in most conditions. Not optimum in really light air but will move the boat to weather in most conditions. Has a foam luff so furls down nicely when wind picks up.

For light reaching/running have an asymmetrical spinnaker with a sock. Thought it would be useful over a wide range of wind directions but collapses constantly if the wind is forward of the beam and unnerving as it refills with a bang. It's easy to deploy but hard to get back on board without getting wet when dropping it. The ATN sock has worked great at snuffing the sail but it's still a bit of work grabbing the sail and handling the halyard by my lonesome.

Am thinking about a removable bowsprit to be able to set a Code Zero on a furler but the cost has been holding me back. An aluminum sprit and furler cost as much or more than the sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote