Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Should political ads be shown on this website?
Never 101 81.45%
They're OK 18 14.52%
Only if it's my candidate 5 4.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 09:02   #31

Re: Let's keep politics off the forum

I have seen about zero political ads, on this website or elsewhere. Even during the Canadian election. I am supremely happy about this.

About keeping them out of threads... bonne chance.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:07   #32

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

What about fellow boaters/sailors proudly flying a Trump flag? Many on the Chesapeake Bay....
Should we scuttle their boats in the darkness of the night after they had berthed at the marina?
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:18   #33

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

It is not OK for anyone to put advertising in your face that you do not authorize, so install adblocker and all of the ads are gone.

If you want to help support the site financially, then find some other way to pay a small amount to view if that bothers you.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:26   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
I run add blocker seems to work ok , but in general I really do not care I never look at them.
Devils Advocate , the adds make the company money and I suppose if adds were not allowed the company might shut the site down.
Before these commercial forums took over, there used to be a lot of non-commercial options. I started with BBSs, Usenet and listservs. There are a lot of forum platforms like vBulletin out there, and many are free. Even a license for vBulletin is not that much. Running a server is a real service and a real cost, but both are pretty modest (I’ve admined and managed a number).

I really like CF, and appreciate the community. But if it shuts down due to lack of revenue, there are many other ways to have this same community, and they don’t require it to be on a profit basis.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:28   #35

Boat: 1970 Morgan 41 Yawl

No i don't want to see political ads on CF. I was a avid reader of a particular brand of inboard boats years ago that was "commandeered" by ultra right wing political zealots.
They ranted and raved at every opportunity, and made participation uncomfortable until the moderator finally took control. CF is a wonderful resource for the sailing community let's keep all politics out. with the exception of matters that concern us directly as sailors. Such as anchorage restrictions, ect.
rocnrichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29   #36

Boat: Hunter 33

I never noticed any political ads until now
Trump 2020!!!!!
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:37   #37

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Let's keep politics (Trump & others) off the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’m pretty sure the advertising is targeted. I see ads for all sorts of things that I’ve recently been researching.
I've noticed the same thing, and unfortunately - it's seems to be getting much more invasive. I've had several topics recently discussed in emails, and then, literally a few minutes later, targeted ads on the same topic are showing up on the random webpages I'm viewing.

Can you imagine what is now being done with targeting "hot button" political ads? IMHO - that is a main reason why so many political differences are being cultivated & deepened. During political chaos, those in real control can do whatever they want to do. In this current election system, the money is the control. The political targeting is going to get worse, and also much more subtle, IMO.

We have no effective privacy protection at all, unfortunately. And more and more of our lives are becoming connected to the Internet.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:48   #38

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

regarding political adds; our politics in Canada are slightly different. since our prime minister Justin trudeau legalised pot nation wide we now, by default, find our selves in the I don't care category. uhhh,: can you remind me what topic we were talking about again......
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:52   #39

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I also have not seen a political ad. I use Firefox btw which has notified me that it is blocking tracking. If you have a Gmail account then you give them permission to crawl through everything you look at. Same with Facebook and others.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:59   #40

Boat: Hunter 260

I use this forum completely free of charge. As such I don't think I have any right to demand anything of the owners, including their means of funding this place.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03   #41

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I also have not seen a political ad. I use Firefox btw which has notified me that it is blocking tracking. If you have a Gmail account then you give them permission to crawl through everything you look at. Same with Facebook and others.
Seems like a fair deal for a social Internet. It's replaced some facets of life. I suspect they keep, trade, consolidate, analyze and dossier an individual's personal data forever - but we get the entertainment. The data tracks you wherever you go. Take it or leave it they say.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:04   #42

Perhaps a bigger worry is the information stored on this website. A lot of very personal information is routinely shared. Is there a method that permits all of someone's posts to be deleted from the site when they no longer wish them to be here?
cherylchecheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:06   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

If I want to see product or service advertising, I can go to their websites. The only political ads I would want to see is from candidates that propose less regulations from the "nanny states".

Captain Irving Johnson's 1929 film about sailing around Cape Horn reminds us that safety is a PERSONAL responsibility. On the Peking, there were no lifejackets worn, no tethers. The sailors just had to use common sense. One hand for yourself, one hand for the ship.

Having said that, I am very safety conscious. I just don't need laws to force it. I take care of myself, my family and my ship without any regulations.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:27   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never seen any political ads.. but then I dont visit political web sites or forums.. my ads are things like booking.com, m/bike stuff and boat stuff.
You leave foot prints and they'll follow you here.
I do get a lot on every site for extending the size of my penis. From pills to potions to creams.

I wonder who told them.. or, as it seems, some of the medical sites I frequent are targetted for things like this.... My colleagues seem to get them a lot too.

In any event, I now feel self conscious..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:34   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Size of penis? Now, isn't that getting a little political? ;>)
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum