Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2016, 13:23   #31

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Let me introduce myself and hopefully gain some knowledge from you.

Ideal fin keel length: Can't really say. Depends on where you want to go. Typical blue water oriented cruisers don't usually have a very long keel, partly for safety/strength reasons.

Stainless anchor and chain: Also galvanized is good.

In mast furling: There are two camps with two opinions. New large cruisers quite often have one. The good part is ability to single hand from the cockpit. They may not give you top racing level speed, but my experience is that thy are quite efficient because they are quickly on and off when needed.

For two people: I think it would make sense to have a boat that can be single handed (preferably from the cockpit) since the other person may often be sleeping or doing something else.

Fuel, water: Large tanks are good. Water maker is excellent if it fits nicely in your budget. I let more experienced ocean goers answer on how large the tanks should be and if they like to use also extra canisters (for redundancy and for adding capacity when needed).

North sails: Someone has said that they are good value for racing, but that any sails are good enough for in mast furling and basic cruising. (I got north sails as part of the deal but I would be ok with others too.)

Water tight bulkheads: My guess is that rudder problems (hitting a rock or a whale) are the most common problem that causes serious leaks. Having a rudder with skeg might make sense. Seacocks are another potential source of problems, but you can fix them yourself if needed. Blue water oriented cruisers have a strong hull that will not break. Water tight bulkheads might provide some extra safety on top of these (offshore, not for liveaboard). I don't remember any accidents where they would have saved the boat but maybe others do. Maybe they could have isolated a rudder leak.

Fridge, freezer: I like food and good dining, so I would invest on these. They will use electricity, so you have to have corresponding plans for that.

Hull delamination: Avoid that. Buy a boat that is guaranteed not to have this kind of structural problems. Hire a good surveyor when you buy the boat.

Heads: Two heads would be good enough for me (+ ability to take a shower somewhere). I would consider also modern composting heads (no through hulls if you wanted to avoid that kind of problems / risks).

AIS: Yes, it's a valuable safety feature in long passages (has also alerts). Maybe radar too.

Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 13:51   #32

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Seriously... after reading the last few posts, an Amel Super Maramu ticks all your boxes... I am not prejudiced of course

Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 16:43   #33

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

I would take 230,000 of it and put it into a Vanguard investment account, then id take the remaining 100k and buy a solid 36-45' boat.

That money invested today would be worth 3-5 million by the time you retire.

BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: