Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 07:32   #1

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Lengthened Hulls

I have expanded my search for a boat. Some have a lengthened hulls. Some are lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet. Should one steer away from such boats? Also, what are some good boats to steer away from for offshore sailing? I see Hunters and Catalinas, but have reservations on these. Most of those boats I see on lakes. Anyone know anything about the Freedom boats?
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Lengthened hulls

The Freedoms were one of the first modern designs to push the free standing mast concept. Well built by the Tillotson/Pearson boat yard in RI. Same yard that builds J boats.

By lengthened do you mean a boat that, after construction, has a section added to the hull to make it longer or a design that was originally built as one length but the design modified and new models built that were a longer version of the original design.

The later, structurally should be as good as the original shorter version. The former would very much depend on who did the modification and how well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:40   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident
I have expanded my search for a boat. Some have a lengthened hulls. Some are lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet. Should one steer away from such boats? Also, what are some good boats to steer away from for offshore sailing? I see Hunters and Catalinas, but have reservations on these. Most of those boats I see on lakes. Anyone know anything about the Freedom boats?
Most Hunters and Catalinas you see on lakes?

Is this a troll, or are you spending too much time on lakes?

Regardless, given the lack of knowledge your question displays, I strongly recommend you stay away from boats "lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet." Those boats were built with a more experienced sailor in mind.
Old 15-09-2011, 07:43   #4

Re: Lengthened hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By lengthened do you mean a boat that, after construction, has a section added to the hull to make it longer or a design that was originally built as one length but the design modified and new models built that were a longer version of the original design.

The later, structurally should be as good as the original shorter version. The former would very much depend on who did the modification and how well.
They don't really say how or when it was lengthened. But Sailboatdata.com dosent list that size boat from that builder. So my best guess would be that it is an after market modification. My concern would be the balance of the boat. I am kind of gun shy on mods made after market, unless maybe the keel and ballast were also modified. Or maybe I am over reacting.
Old 15-09-2011, 07:47   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Lengthened Hulls

some listings list boat length as length overall... example--ct 41..is listed as a 47 because of sprit length. is NOT a 47, but measures from transom to sprit as 47.
find out what exactly the REAL length is. might not be a stretch limo after all, just someone not realizing what the loa is, or wanting to have buyer think is getting more boat for the money.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:48   #6

Boat: Boatless

Neptune,

It would be easier to advise if we knew you experience level and when and where you reasonable plan to sail.

While I don't like Hunters for off-shore they are good boats for the Caribbean and I have friends who love them...they are 'bang for the buck.'

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Most Hunters and Catalinas you see on lakes?

Is this a troll, or are you spending too much time on lakes?

Regardless, given the lack of knowledge your question displays, I strongly recommend you stay away from boats "lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet." Those boats were built with a more experienced sailor in mind.
I am spending to much time on lakes, at present. I'm land locked and don't get to spend much time on salt water. And that was an example length of one boat. But if you look around you will find others. Mass produced boats, Hunter and Catalina, seems they may have the same problems as mass produced automobiles. Trouble with that is you never know till after you buy it. Breaking down on the freeway is a little easier to deal with than breaking down at sea. Ya know???
Old 15-09-2011, 07:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
Also, what are some good boats to steer away from for offshore sailing? I see Hunters and Catalinas, but have reservations on these. Most of those boats I see on lakes.
I see plenty of Hunters and Catalinas on the ocean and down island. To answer your question it depends on what you mean by offshore sailing: around the West Indies, or around the world by the southern ocean?

If around the islands then either brand would be great for the job. If non stop through the roaring forties only a very few production boats would be suitable.
Old 15-09-2011, 08:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some listings list boat length as length overall... example--ct 41..is listed as a 47 because of sprit length. is NOT a 47, but measures from transom to sprit as 47.
find out what exactly the REAL length is. might not be a stretch limo after all, just someone not realizing what the loa is, or wanting to have buyer think is getting more boat for the money.
I have noticed that. And I tend to ignore those unless they note that the LOA is including the bow pulpit. I distrust folks that my "stretch" the truth. Except sailors and fishermen, of course...
Old 15-09-2011, 08:39   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

aaahhh, but that 3 inch fishie WAS 4 ft in length, with the bowsprit and all.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am a bit mistified by your lengthened boats issue.

I've been in the business for over 30 years and found that boats with hulls lengthened after their original construction are very rare and 90% of the ones you find will be racers.
Old 15-09-2011, 08:41   #12

As a note here, I really like the looks of the Freedom 40 center cockpit. All it needs is a cannon.
Old 15-09-2011, 08:44   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

I think one common "lengthening" is to add a sugar scoop/swim platform after the fact. See lots and lots of older boats that used to have flat transoms, and now have a scoop. That adds 2-3 feet to the boat, and may or may not affect sailing capabilities. Can be done well or poorly, but generally does not affect structural integrity. Depends on how the scoop is merged with the hull at the transom.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I am a bit mistified by your lengthened boats issue.

I've been in the business for over 30 years and found that boats with hulls lengthened after their original construction are very rare and 90% of the ones you find will be racers.
This is the boat I questioned. And I must admit, the reason I asked is because it also mistified me.

1965 Spencer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 15-09-2011, 08:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
I am spending to much time on lakes, at present. I'm land locked and don't get to spend much time on salt water. And that was an example length of one boat. But if you look around you will find others. Mass produced boats, Hunter and Catalina, seems they may have the same problems as mass produced automobiles. Trouble with that is you never know till after you buy it. Breaking down on the freeway is a little easier to deal with than breaking down at sea. Ya know???
Breakdowns on boats, the great majority of the time, are due to problems with the mechanical systems like engine/transmission, steering, etc. Pretty much all boat builders buy these parts from outside vendors like Yanmar, Perkins, Edson, etc.

Hinkley and Swan buy their engines from outside suppliers just like Hunter and Catalina.