Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 08:32   #1
Registered User
 
NeptunesTrident's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texoma
Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Posts: 170
Lengthened Hulls

I have expanded my search for a boat. Some have a lengthened hulls. Some are lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet. Should one steer away from such boats? Also, what are some good boats to steer away from for offshore sailing? I see Hunters and Catalinas, but have reservations on these. Most of those boats I see on lakes. Anyone know anything about the Freedom boats?
__________________

__________________
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:37   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,381
Re: Lengthened hulls

The Freedoms were one of the first modern designs to push the free standing mast concept. Well built by the Tillotson/Pearson boat yard in RI. Same yard that builds J boats.

By lengthened do you mean a boat that, after construction, has a section added to the hull to make it longer or a design that was originally built as one length but the design modified and new models built that were a longer version of the original design.

The later, structurally should be as good as the original shorter version. The former would very much depend on who did the modification and how well.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:40   #3
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident
I have expanded my search for a boat. Some have a lengthened hulls. Some are lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet. Should one steer away from such boats? Also, what are some good boats to steer away from for offshore sailing? I see Hunters and Catalinas, but have reservations on these. Most of those boats I see on lakes. Anyone know anything about the Freedom boats?
Most Hunters and Catalinas you see on lakes?

Is this a troll, or are you spending too much time on lakes?

Regardless, given the lack of knowledge your question displays, I strongly recommend you stay away from boats "lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet." Those boats were built with a more experienced sailor in mind.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:43   #4
Registered User
 
NeptunesTrident's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texoma
Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Posts: 170
Re: Lengthened hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By lengthened do you mean a boat that, after construction, has a section added to the hull to make it longer or a design that was originally built as one length but the design modified and new models built that were a longer version of the original design.

The later, structurally should be as good as the original shorter version. The former would very much depend on who did the modification and how well.
They don't really say how or when it was lengthened. But Sailboatdata.com dosent list that size boat from that builder. So my best guess would be that it is an after market modification. My concern would be the balance of the boat. I am kind of gun shy on mods made after market, unless maybe the keel and ballast were also modified. Or maybe I am over reacting.
__________________
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:47   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Lengthened Hulls

some listings list boat length as length overall... example--ct 41..is listed as a 47 because of sprit length. is NOT a 47, but measures from transom to sprit as 47.
find out what exactly the REAL length is. might not be a stretch limo after all, just someone not realizing what the loa is, or wanting to have buyer think is getting more boat for the money.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:48   #6
Registered User
 
s/v Moondancer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fiji but heading for Alaska
Boat: Tayana 55
Posts: 1,225
Re: Lengthened Hulls

Neptune,

It would be easier to advise if we knew you experience level and when and where you reasonable plan to sail.

While I don't like Hunters for off-shore they are good boats for the Caribbean and I have friends who love them...they are 'bang for the buck.'
__________________
Phil

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:49   #7
Registered User
 
NeptunesTrident's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texoma
Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Posts: 170
Re: Lengthened Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Most Hunters and Catalinas you see on lakes?

Is this a troll, or are you spending too much time on lakes?

Regardless, given the lack of knowledge your question displays, I strongly recommend you stay away from boats "lengthened from, like, 42 to 45 feet." Those boats were built with a more experienced sailor in mind.
I am spending to much time on lakes, at present. I'm land locked and don't get to spend much time on salt water. And that was an example length of one boat. But if you look around you will find others. Mass produced boats, Hunter and Catalina, seems they may have the same problems as mass produced automobiles. Trouble with that is you never know till after you buy it. Breaking down on the freeway is a little easier to deal with than breaking down at sea. Ya know???
__________________
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:49   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,381
Re: Lengthened Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
Also, what are some good boats to steer away from for offshore sailing? I see Hunters and Catalinas, but have reservations on these. Most of those boats I see on lakes.
I see plenty of Hunters and Catalinas on the ocean and down island. To answer your question it depends on what you mean by offshore sailing: around the West Indies, or around the world by the southern ocean?

If around the islands then either brand would be great for the job. If non stop through the roaring forties only a very few production boats would be suitable.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:32   #9
Registered User
 
NeptunesTrident's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texoma
Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Posts: 170
Re: Lengthened Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some listings list boat length as length overall... example--ct 41..is listed as a 47 because of sprit length. is NOT a 47, but measures from transom to sprit as 47.
find out what exactly the REAL length is. might not be a stretch limo after all, just someone not realizing what the loa is, or wanting to have buyer think is getting more boat for the money.
I have noticed that. And I tend to ignore those unless they note that the LOA is including the bow pulpit. I distrust folks that my "stretch" the truth. Except sailors and fishermen, of course...
__________________
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:39   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Lengthened Hulls

aaahhh, but that 3 inch fishie WAS 4 ft in length, with the bowsprit and all.....
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:39   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,381
Re: Lengthened Hulls

I am a bit mistified by your lengthened boats issue.

I've been in the business for over 30 years and found that boats with hulls lengthened after their original construction are very rare and 90% of the ones you find will be racers.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:41   #12
Registered User
 
NeptunesTrident's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texoma
Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Posts: 170
Re: Lengthened Hulls

As a note here, I really like the looks of the Freedom 40 center cockpit. All it needs is a cannon.
__________________
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:44   #13
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Pacific
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 1,451
Re: Lengthened Hulls

I think one common "lengthening" is to add a sugar scoop/swim platform after the fact. See lots and lots of older boats that used to have flat transoms, and now have a scoop. That adds 2-3 feet to the boat, and may or may not affect sailing capabilities. Can be done well or poorly, but generally does not affect structural integrity. Depends on how the scoop is merged with the hull at the transom.
__________________
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:45   #14
Registered User
 
NeptunesTrident's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texoma
Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Posts: 170
Re: Lengthened Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I am a bit mistified by your lengthened boats issue.

I've been in the business for over 30 years and found that boats with hulls lengthened after their original construction are very rare and 90% of the ones you find will be racers.
This is the boat I questioned. And I must admit, the reason I asked is because it also mistified me.

1965 Spencer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
__________________
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:45   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,381
Re: Lengthened Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
I am spending to much time on lakes, at present. I'm land locked and don't get to spend much time on salt water. And that was an example length of one boat. But if you look around you will find others. Mass produced boats, Hunter and Catalina, seems they may have the same problems as mass produced automobiles. Trouble with that is you never know till after you buy it. Breaking down on the freeway is a little easier to deal with than breaking down at sea. Ya know???
Breakdowns on boats, the great majority of the time, are due to problems with the mechanical systems like engine/transmission, steering, etc. Pretty much all boat builders buy these parts from outside vendors like Yanmar, Perkins, Edson, etc.

Hinkley and Swan buy their engines from outside suppliers just like Hunter and Catalina.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass vs Steel Hulls larryb Monohull Sailboats 24 21-08-2016 00:31
Thru Hulls on a Steel Boat SV Susana Construction, Maintenance & Refit 40 18-09-2011 20:53
Cored Hulls holmek Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 03-08-2011 08:26
Balsa Core on Cat Hulls arouth Multihull Sailboats 52 15-07-2011 07:54
Hairy Hulls in the Offing Microship Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 04-07-2011 20:13



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.