Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2011, 01:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Lemsteraak and Zeeschouw Type Boats for Cruising ?

I have been looking at different types of boat and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these types.

The Lemsteraak

And the Zeeschouw:

And if they would be capable of cruising (pacific coast, possibly blue water)?
I never thought of flat bottom boats as being particularly seaworthy but I was reading about the New Zealand sailing scows making regular trips across the Tasman and that got me wondering about scow type boats.

Thanks
Old 17-02-2011, 08:30   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
These are both Dutch traditional boats. The Lemsteraak is a design originating in Lemmer, in the Dutch province of Friesland and it's design is for inland waters. The Zeeschouw is a design built all around the IJsselmeer in Holland, after a dike made this an inland water too. The IJsselmeer is a big lake but not a sea.

I have seen both designs do short coastal passages but wouldn't recommend any offshore trips.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:18   #3
cruiser

I love those boats and I have an old book full of the traditonal Dutch types. I'm not sure these boats would have the ultimate stability you might want for offshore work. These types evolved in areas where draft was severly restricted. I'm nt saying you couldn't do it Im just saying you'd need to be aware of the stability limitations.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 10:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
...I'm not sure these boats would have the ultimate stability you might want for offshore work.... I'm nt saying you couldn't do it Im just saying you'd need to be aware of the stability limitations.
If one was to build one of these would it be possible to add bilge keels and some ballast to the design to improve things for offshore work?
I guess what I like about these boats it the huge interior for a given length. and am curious if that is possible in a n offshore boat or if the two are exclusive.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M-P View Post
Thanks for the replies.

If one was to build one of these would it be possible to add bilge keels and some ballast to the design to improve things for offshore work?
I guess what I like about these boats it the huge interior for a given length. and am curious if that is possible in a n offshore boat or if the two are exclusive.
You'd probably be better off with a full shallow keel similar to the Maurice Griffith Waterwitch with Leeboards Design... if you wanted there the option of fitting bilge plates and doing away with the boards... the beam may make self righting a 50/50 chance unless you went for a short mast rig... might give you that vital 10%..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW%20High%20Nimbus%20at%20the%20Fuillbridge.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	23899  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 10:56   #6
cruiser

Ben:
Not really. The problem is the wide and shallow hull form. It gives these boats great initial stability but low ultimate stability. Adding ballast would help but now you have strayed from the parent model. You would need to know how much ballast they carried originally and if they carried balllast. My book, HOLLANDSE JACHTEN VAN DE TOEKOMST I, seems to show that very few of these types were ballasted at all. I don't read Dutch and most of the drawings are cryptic when it comes to consruction details so I could be wrong. I know they were massively built. If the type you like carried ballast in the bilge, yes, then you could add bilge keels or a single keel and put the ballast lower. But that still does not overcome the lack of ultimate form stability.
Old 17-02-2011, 11:17   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I have had discussions with John Welsford (local designer) along similar lines (sailing barges) but he chose to start with a fresh sheet of paper, came up with a design with enormous interior volume, sails as well as or better than your average white sloop, and about 40% the price.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 11:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

How could one improve the ultimate stability if one was designing a boat with similar dimensions (interior space, length) but was not as concerned about staying true to type or maintaining the extreme shoal draft capability?

Would adding a deeper V to the hull and corresponding amount of ballast improve things?
Old 17-02-2011, 11:37   #9
cruiser

Ben:
Sure, but then you have an entirely different boat. It would be possible to preserve the aesthetic character of one of the Dutch boats and do a new hull but the new boat would be a hybrid. That's not a bad thing. Look at all the boats, some that I did, that were labelled "Colin Archer" types when in fact the only thing they had in common with Colin Archer's designs were some various aesthetic touches and points on both ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan959.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	23900  
Old 17-02-2011, 11:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ben... from what I've read and seen of them... would not a SkipJack suit you just as well... seems they have things in common... apart from the chines..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 17-02-2011, 12:17   #11
cruiser

61:
SkipJacks suffer from the same stability issue.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
61:
SkipJacks suffer from the same stability issue.
I know Bob.. just thinking there's similar options closer to home that are/can be just as pretty... did they not use to ply the Eastern seaboard trading... saw a 48ftr near NY a coupla flusher years back that quite tempted me...

Old 17-02-2011, 12:42   #13
cruiser

61:
I hear you. They are marvelous boats. We don't see any out where I live.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for all the help.

Does anyone know of a design that has the large interior/length ratio like these but and good stability?
Old 17-02-2011, 12:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

I should add that I am thinking about a Chinese lug rig so (from what I understand) a wider lighter hull is a good thing as long as it is seaworthy.

Tags
cruising