Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 19:03   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'
LED Running lights advice

I am a new boat owner (I'm new, not the boat, lol). I have a 45' Hunter and it needs new running lights, fore, aft and atop the mast. Does anyone have any good advice on inexpensive, quality LED light fixtures? Looking at Defender and West Marine and also doing Google searches I am more confused than informed. If you have thoughts of brands, where to buy, cost and what to look for and what to avoid...that would be greatly appreciated. Also, what exactly is required by the USCG in order to comply? Thanks in advance.
SV Liahona
paccrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 19:07   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: LED Running lights advice

Coast Guard running light requirements

I decided not to cheap out and went with Hella Marine ordered through Fisheries Supply.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 19:12   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Meeting the details (found in the annexes) of the COLREGS is all that is required.

USCG certified lights are only required to be put on the boat by the manufacturer (if they install lights at all).

However, many will say that if you have an accident, proving that your lights meet standards is much easier if you have certified lights.

Some of the LED navigation lights are certified others are not, you have to look at the advertising carefully to find out.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 19:21   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccrest View Post
Also, what exactly is required by the USCG in order to comply?
Straight from the horse's mouth: Navigation Rules Online
And since you might use your engine, add a masthead light (rule 23), and you might want to anchor so add an all-round white light (rule 30).
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 19:48   #5

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do when my current nav lights quit but this anchor light is going on my mast as soon as they become available. (Which should be this spring.)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-114568-5.html
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 07:12   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

I used these for tricolor and steaming/foredeck:

MISEA Signal Mate LED TriAnchor w/ Wind Indicator Illumumination [TRIANC]
MISEA Signal Mate Combination 3NM Masthead/ White Deck Light [3NMMHDKW]

And these for the running lights on the bow and stern:

LED Navigation Lights

Not inexpensive, but very high quality and no VHF interference.

Good luck.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:39   #7

Screw the rules! Brighter is better. LEDs use minimal amperage compared to their incandescent cousins. Their are several companies that make the full assembly or just replacement bulbs.
Also keep in mind that, if using a tricolor, you will need another set of running lights when you're motoring as the red and green must be BELOW the steaming light. Personally, I prefer being seen (ie, not getting run over) to having the right-of-way and always fly the steaming light, so removed the tricolor and extraneous wiring. But I'm under 12 meters and have combined the steaming light with the stern light (same as anchor light) and wired it to a different switch from "running lights".
Full LED assemblies are water proof and can be mounted about anywhere that's convenient, complying with sectors and vertical spacing. The masthead and anchor are farther from the water and LED replacement bulbs are made my Dr LED, Hellas, and a few other companies. Take the incandescent with you and match the base. You will see terms like one or two contact, and indexed and non-indexed base. (Non-indexed means the two prongs, not screw in base, are offset so the bulb must face a certain direction.)
selkirksghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:05   #8

The COLREGS state minimum range and intensity, so you're not exactly breaking the rules with brighter lights. They do recommend not causing undue glare though, from Annex 1:

Note: The maximum luminous intensity of navigation lights should be limited to avoid undue glare. This shall not be achieved by a variable control of the luminous intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirksghost View Post
Screw the rules! Brighter is better. LEDs use minimal amperage compared to their incandescent cousins. Their are several companies that make the full assembly or just replacement bulbs.
Also keep in mind that, if using a tricolor, you will need another set of running lights when you're motoring as the red and green must be BELOW the steaming light. Personally, I prefer being seen (ie, not getting run over) to having the right-of-way and always fly the steaming light, so removed the tricolor and extraneous wiring. But I'm under 12 meters and have combined the steaming light with the stern light (same as anchor light) and wired it to a different switch from "running lights".
Full LED assemblies are water proof and can be mounted about anywhere that's convenient, complying with sectors and vertical spacing. The masthead and anchor are farther from the water and LED replacement bulbs are made my Dr LED, Hellas, and a few other companies. Take the incandescent with you and match the base. You will see terms like one or two contact, and indexed and non-indexed base. (Non-indexed means the two prongs, not screw in base, are offset so the bulb must face a certain direction.)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
The COLREGS state minimum range and intensity, so you're not exactly breaking the rules with brighter lights. They do recommend not causing undue glare though, from Annex 1:

Note: The maximum luminous intensity of navigation lights should be limited to avoid undue glare. This shall not be achieved by a variable control of the luminous intensity.

While not "breaking the rules", many lights are advertised as meeting the minimum. THAT is what I would ignore. Boats in general, and sailboats in particular, are hard enough to see from the bridge of a ship without a boater adhering strictly to a 1 NM "requirement".
Try taking a freighter down the coast off of Miami at sunset in the summer with a fleet of poorly lit boats with no useful radar signature. You can have your lawyer on speed dial, but your phone better float.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43   #10

"Undue glare" should also dictate position of lights, not just intensity.
Old 24-05-2014, 00:25   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

This is one area where cheap may be a big mistake... I fitted Hella NaviLED pros and a year later am still very happy with them.
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 01:51   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Given the lower power budget, that led lights bring. I'm surprised we don't see more all round red over green sailing lights. ( usually two each side , near mast top. ) would significantly enhance identification at night over the lower side lights.( or the rather silly tricolour )

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-05-2014, 06:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Given the lower power budget, that led lights bring. I'm surprised we don't see more all round red over green sailing lights. ( usually two each side , near mast top. ) would significantly enhance identification at night over the lower side lights.( or the rather silly tricolour )

Dave

Seems to me that red over green mounted on the mast would be obscured over about half their arc by the sails, unless you're gaff or square rigged.
Old 24-05-2014, 06:51   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Seems to me that red over green mounted on the mast would be obscured over about half their arc by the sails, unless you're gaff or square rigged.

How come, 2 lights on either side within a foot or two of the top of the mast. Few headsails obscure that

Dave

Old 24-05-2014, 06:53   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"obscured over about half their arc by the sails,"
Finally, a justification for fractional rigs.(G)

But seriously, with the low mass of LED lighting, it would be simple enough to put the lighting on a stick and have that extend clear above the entire mast anyway. Integrate with a VHF antenna, all sorts of options.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote