Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2015, 11:35   #16

Re: LED interior lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I replaced four of the boat's reading lights with new LED ones
This reminds me - one of the other lighting things we did is to install a DC-DC converter (12v to 5v) and USB jacks in several locations, including around the V-berth. They're very handy for charging your phones and such, and also for using the mini USB reading lights you can get from several sources. IKEA has nice ones on goosenecks for $4 each.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 17:49   #17

Boat: Westsail 28

https://www.alpenglowlights.com/
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 18:05   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf3386 View Post
I bought a 1998 contour trimaran and looking to upgrade the old fluorescent lights in the boat to LED. I'm sure there has been prior discussions on this subject but given how quickly new products are coming out would like opinions on what lights have or have not worked for the folks out there. Thanks in advance folks!

Fair winds!
Marine Beam has drop in festoon LEDs for fluorescents. They are fantastic. I also like their other replacement bulbs and fixtures. We also have IMTRA replacements. Signal Mate for deck level Nav lights and Marne Beam Nav bulb replacements for AquaSignal.

https://store.marinebeam.com/ "Find Your Bulb" Also, got to TECHNICAL and read about stuff. Read the Idiot's Guide. Our cabin took over 60 LED replacements including the courtesy lighting. Tiny power use even with all on. Nice brilliance for living & reading.

If you are buying a lot, try cutting a deal at a boat show. Worked for us.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 18:35   #19

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This reminds me - one of the other lighting things we did is to install a DC-DC converter (12v to 5v) and USB jacks in several locations, including around the V-berth. They're very handy for charging your phones and such, and also for using the mini USB reading lights you can get from several sources. IKEA has nice ones on goosenecks for $4 each.
Did the same with a Chinese 12V->USB adapter with added switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USBLED.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	115059  
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 18:44   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Also check out CruisingSolutions.com
(From memory. No internet at the moment...)
They are a couple of cruisers offering great value with their selective inventory approach.

And the really know their stuff.

Cheers!

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
Old 14-12-2015, 19:29   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

I use regular AC LED light bulbs in
a 30 year old 300 watt inverter. Man
they light up the whole boat easily.
I use clip on fixtures and can put
light anywhere I want.

Sorta like this:
https://www.fredmeyer.com/webapp/wcs...&storeId=11204
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 20:58   #22

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

For me there are a few important questions. First: RFI!! Many cheapo LEDs have really noisy power supplies. They can interfere with your FM stereo or more seriously with your VHF or SSB. I've seen a couple of fixtures that were really noisy. Second: reliability...if it has a voltage controlled power supply the LED won't last all that long. If it is current regulated then you are likely to have a much longer lifetime. And Third: Output. Some bulbs put out a lot more lumens than others. It's just a quality issue.

Now, I'll pimp my favorites: Marine Beam has the highest output, current regulated bulbs and fixtures but I think they are pretty expensive (I think they are worth it) and my second favorite is Superbright. I'm getting ready to replace some more bulbs and I'm thinking Marine Beam. Jeff Field has been really helpful.

Bill
Old 15-12-2015, 15:35   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I went a bit cheap and bought a spool of LED lights that looked waterproof. It was from Chinatown in New York a few years ago.

The lights started to flicker within a few weeks and the last one died with 6 months.

I wondered if the needed a regulated power supply. Or just better quality.

So of you go v cheap test them for a while before cracking the champagne
This topic comes up periodically. If you buy cheap LEDs you get what you paid for. LEDs absolutely must have regulated current in order to survive. Please refer to my previous post - go to Marine Beam & read the Idiot's guide to understand current regulation techniques and Pulse WIdth Modulation, PWM. http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-54258...diotsGuide.pdf

You will not need a DC-DC converter if you buy modern PWM lights. These control the correct average current by switching at very high frequency (above VHF interference) so that the bulb is turned on-off and the ratio of on-off time is modulated to yield the correct average current. This is done at around 30 kilohertz. These bulbs can be picked from the masses of otherwise cheap junk by the specifications. They typically will tolerate a wide input voltage variation of 9 volts to 35 or even wider. This means your bulb will give a constant output lumens no matter what your charging system is doing. This is especially important on a sail boat where we discharge deeply or charge high. Other current regulation schemes usually place a resistor in series with the power source. In these, you eat up the power you thought you were saving by dropping all of the bulb's current through a resistor and making heat. (Typical automotive bulbs for instance) The PWM control also has a diode circuit to make the bulbs polarity blind. The only LED bulbs I have lost had the diodes blown out by lightening.

If you want novelty lights then you will need to control the current or at least to provide the exact correct voltage or the LED hot junction will run too hot.
Old 15-12-2015, 15:42   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
I use regular AC LED light bulbs in
a 30 year old 300 watt inverter. Man
they light up the whole boat easily.
I use clip on fixtures and can put
light anywhere I want.

Sorta like this:
https://www.fredmeyer.com/webapp/wcs...&storeId=11204
If you are using LEDs for power reduction be careful to compare the lumens/watt consumed. Many 120 VAC LEDs use poor schemes for current regulation (read my other post). All of the AC bulbs will use lots more power per lumen than PWM regulated DC bulbs. The give-away is the monster finned heat sink at their base. In addition, an inverter converts DC to AC at some loss in efficiency. Then, you must convert the AC to dc at the correct current regulation. LEDs only operate in DC. There is a lot of parasitic loss in this much conversion.
Old 15-12-2015, 15:49   #25

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
What he said. I have one of their overhead lights above the table. Two levels of white light, and two levels of red light. Way cool. Draws very little.

I also have their berth lights, and they put out a lot of light. Would not even consider buying their reading light version, which is even brighter.

I owned a Corsair 24 for four years, and then a Corsair 28R for about seven. Both incredible sailing boats. Seawind sails good, but is much more comfortable. Especially for cruising Florida and Bahamas, which we have on the calendar for next year. At raftups, all of the trimaran crews tend to congregate on our boat, and the enclosed shower and hot water heater is a real hit with the female crew!

Seawind also has a few fluorescent light fixtures, which I plan to just replace bulbs. Some are spots, which I have just replaced the bulbs with Dr LED version. We have two 120 watt solar panels, and a DC watermaker, and have been going thru everything trying to reduce power consumption at anchor. If all else fails, will be carrying a Honda 2000!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 17:04   #26

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

58--good posts.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 19:13   #27

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

We just changed all of ours over to these pictured.We went with some white and some that switch to red and white.I have tried so many drop in led's.Always dissapointment. I got tired of wasting money.A housing that is made for the led is best.It is probably one of the best upgrades possible.The light is super white.The red is really nice at night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450321683240.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	115160  
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 13:13   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I've been experimenting with LED's meant for the automobile sector for the interior lights on my boat, so far so good.
Don't know if I'd use them for exterior lights though.
It's been a year and no failures yet, these are ones that go into existing bayonet type light fixtures. Much cheaper than the "marine" replacement types, $8.99 for 2. The light tone does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, with some actually warm white with others blueish white. I only use REALLY WHITE bulbs in areas used for reading.
For some areas though I will be going to a dedicated LED lighting fixture, mainly for the red/white fixtures for ease of use. I've found the red LED replacement bulbs made for automotive use tend to be too bright for night time use.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 13:26   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another vote for marinebeam.com. They have great stuff.
Old 17-12-2015, 17:47   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I've been experimenting with LED's meant for the automobile sector for the interior lights on my boat, so far so good.
Don't know if I'd use them for exterior lights though.
It's been a year and no failures yet, these are ones that go into existing bayonet type light fixtures. Much cheaper than the "marine" replacement types, $8.99 for 2. The light tone does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, with some actually warm white with others blueish white. I only use REALLY WHITE bulbs in areas used for reading.
For some areas though I will be going to a dedicated LED lighting fixture, mainly for the red/white fixtures for ease of use. I've found the red LED replacement bulbs made for automotive use tend to be too bright for night time use.
Please read my posts. Automotive LEDs have dropping resistors. They are made to operate in an environment where energy conservation is not prime. They are made to run at alternator charging voltage (13.8 volts) and will be dim when running on partly discharged batteries. They are cheap because they are made cheaply. If you hook up to shore power every night - OK. If you care about your amp-hours these are not what you want.

Tags
interior, lighting