Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 14:18   #16

pics and plans

thanks for the instructions on how to post pics... let's see if it works

"Layout" is as designed by Glen-L.... I just don't like that dinette arrangement and the idea of two people sleeping head-to-head. And I NEVER used the dinette to sit at and eat in the big boatClick image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	12455
This plan also calls for an icebox accessible from cockpit and galley. No icebox planned. Cockpit lockers instead.

My plan is to have two secure berths
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=galley.double berth.jpg Views: 177 Size: 215.7 KB ID: 12456" style="margin: 2px" />

NOW, convert the V to a single bunk on one side and storage lockers on the other. NO, not through the deck, accessible only from below decks. NEVER enough storage.
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:35   #17

last pic

Name:	doubleberth.stowage.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	12457

still sleeps three if necessary, but on a 20 foot boat, who would want to?!
Lockers in V-berth area, open wells for sail bags, ropes and fenders... maybe even clothes!
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:46   #18

Boat: Tartan 40
On that small a boat, especially if you are singlehanding, I would devote the forepeak to storage and the head, and put a full length settee along the post and/or starboard in the main cabin for sitting and for sleeping. You will most appreciate a "open air berth" that is not under something else, for ventilation and comfort. On a 20 foot berth the V berth area will feel confined so you may as well put things you don't use for long periods of time like the head, and storage, up there.
Essentially you have a "couch" for both lounging and sleeping. You could have one slide out to form a wider "double" bed even.

I would also bag the quarterberth in lieu of cockpit lockers/storage. THAT will only be useful for storage, or for people who like sleeping in coffins.
This way you can put your galley on both sides aft and fit in settees
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 17:21   #19

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
One of my boats is a Lindenberg 26 which is a huge boat for its length and it has what i think is a brilliant layout as one of the design compromises the builders took was to eliminate the v berth.The thing that most folks dont think of is that this allows the bulkhead at the foreward end of the saloon to be moved foreward making the rest of the interior much larger in fact on the lindenberg the distance from the companionway b/head to the front of the saloon is longer than on an Ericson 35 or J35. Ahead of the b/head there is a hanging locker each side,a counter each side,the head in the middle facing aft and then a large sail locker to the bow,so the whole bow area is kept light.There are 2 louvered teak doors into the head which when open act as doors to the hanging lockers.All in all a good seagoing arrangement which may addapt to the OPs boat. The Lindy has huge quarter berths and great settee berths.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 17:46   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Space saving...

While you are exploring options, in case you decide to maintain a forward berth, here's pic of a locker I had installed on my previous boat (a 30' Beneteau) - used only for storing lightweight items like towels, clothing, etc - it was helpful in utilizing an otherwise unusable space.

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:19   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.sail View Post
PICTURES please

At 30 foot a bit more headroom for the head than likely on 20 foot.......not perfect (am in the process of moving the head a few inches forward - to give a bit more headroom and easier access to the storage area.........that's an easy job ......but before doing that I need to replace the sink arrangement, which also means finishing off the new door frame, which means.........)

A few more pics (different angles / sister vessels) here:-

"Wayluya" Seadog! - Forepeak
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:12   #22

Boat: Nordhavn 47
The new Island Packet Estero did a nice job of getting rid of the V-berth, I thought.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40   #23

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
jkliens beat me to the punch but IP did decide to give up on the V-berth. How popular it will be may depend more on the "floating condo" versus "cruising" being done.

If not for a bad survey, I was buying a Niagara 35, where the v-berth was a combination storage/work area, with room for actual work. (A vise, workbench, tool area, etc.) which can be VERY helpful. I was also on a Fantasia where that was done equally well.

If you have the option, I also agree with Clockwork, move the bulkhead forward a little. It does make the work area slightly smaller, but you will spend more time in the main cabin regardless. I also suggest making the door open out and give yourself a pass through to the workbench, so you can deal with longer material if you need to do so.

As for moving the head up there, I am not so sure. The reason no one uses the v-berth during a voyage is vertical motion. I cannot image being in such an enclosed space during bad weather and trying to get anything done. It would be like putting the head on a roller coaster.

Finally (and I am starting to feel like an agent for them), I suggest reading "Self-Sufficient Sailor", I got a copy on Alibris.com for less than $5 and they have some great ideas. Keep in mind they take simplification to the extreme, but you could incorporate some of the great ideas into the build and maybe make your life much easier at sea.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
The new Island Packet Estero did a nice job of getting rid of the V-berth, I thought. Jim
I was looking at some photos of a Westsail 32 a couple of days ago which someone had done the same, looked really good for harbour living.

One thing our V berths do provide though (standard layout) is a crash bulkhead which is completely sealed off from the rest of the hull with 3 sections. Okay we might do a "Titanic" if the water comes over the top of the top loading hatches but it should provide some time. Might be worth thinking about.

I do like Sailndives extra lockers, copy of photo taken for future reference, great idea in an otherwise dead space, thanks

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:04   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I have also decided to make other use of the v-berth area in my Bruce Roberts Offshore 38. I opted to have the bunk positioned side-to-side rather than fore-aft to allow for allways having your head up no matter what tack you are on. Because the boat was originally built as a center cockpit and I am changing it to an aft cockpit, the engine remains centrally located, which will have a countertop built over it.
Here is a basic drawing of the layout I am going for:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layout2.GIF
Views:	211
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	12466  

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56   #26

Thumbs up V birth

I am doing just that in my boat, I do have a concern for the lost weight as stores deplete. I have solved this by moving spare parts forward to replace the stores used. Making the v birth a storage area I believe is a good idea, but in short it will be what you believe will work for you and your boat. Happy sailing.

Michael.
S/V Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08   #27

Boat: Bristol 38.8
If the boat is large enough, I would prefer a pullman double on one side and a workbench on the other, or perhaps (instead of the double) a single with a pilot berth above. As others have noted, a good workbench with a vise and room to work is really handy.

On a smaller (30 ft) boat I like the confirguration I have: Lavac on one side and a good sized single berth on the other, with storage underneath. This gives me full standing headroom when I take a shower. If not needed for sleeping, I put up the lee cloth and use the berth for additional storage.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 13:47   #28

Boat: a sailing boat
Two crew here. V-berth is our storage full time. Would be a yet better storage if it were designed as one from the start.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:15   #29

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I'll do without the extra storage to avoid those narrow, cramped, uncomfortable, poorly ventilated heads that one finds on many smaller sailboats.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50   #30

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
,Kefaa,the location of the head on my Lindenberg is probably about 3ft ahead of the mast which is pretty much where it would be on many boats, everything ahead of that is a large sail bin which in my experience is what the v berth is used for on most boats this size(the boat has no cockpit lockers) I would not want to use the v berth area for storage other than bulky light stuff such as sails due to pitching moments,of course the same goes for the cavenous cockpit lockers on many boats that folks load up with heavy stuff.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote