Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 17:47   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
Learning Cruising Boat "Systems"!

I just purchased a Valiant 42 and I am looking for resources(books/websites/authors etc) to better understand using, charging and maintaining the 12v electrical system, as well as the 12v dieseling heating systems (Webastco), and managing multiple fuel tanks. My Tartan 37 was a bit simpler!
jwt449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 22:32   #2
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Re: Learning cruising boat "systems"!?

I find the best way to learn the systems it to replace everything....just kidding. I feel your pain though, I went from 34' to 47' and I just never had a taste for big boat complications. Now I have 4 fuel tanks, 3 water tanks, two heads, two shower sumps, and three manual bilge pumps. I removed the pressure water out of my last boat and showered with a sun shower that drained directly into the bilge.

I am three years into my relationship with this boat and I am starting to get the systems down. I think you are on the right track looking for books and websites. I never have been much on an electrical wiz, so I purchased Nigel Calder's book to use in my wiring projects, and then lost it before I even opened it up.

I also found that online boat refit logs help out. Especially if someone is thorough in documenting all stages of the project. Even if you are not replacing anything, watching someone else replacing gear and updating systems is a great learning experience. Plus you don't get dirty. I know at my old school the marine engineers had to trace out the systems in the ships that they were cadets on. I guess that couldn't hurt.

Also, great boat by the way. I had a friend that had a V42 and it was amazing. I had major windlass envy (as I had a winch handle powered Simpson Lawrence anchorman ). Good luck and have fun.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 03:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Learning cruising boat "systems"!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt449 View Post
I just purchased a Valiant 42 and I am looking for resources(books/websites/authors etc) to better understand using, charging and maintaining the 12v electrical system, as well as the 12v dieseling heating systems (Webastco), and managing multiple fuel tanks. My Tartan 37 was a bit simpler!
"Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" - Nigel Calder.

"Marine Diesel Engines" - Nigel Calder.

Get the names, manufacturers and model numbers of all your equipment, including furlers, masts, engine, gearbox, chargers, stoves, heaters etc. Search manufacturers websites and the internet for Manitenance Manuals, owners Manuals and parts lists. save all this to your hard drive.

It is a long but satisfying journey to learn all bout your boat and her systems.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 04:39   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Lightbulb Re: Learning cruising boat "systems"!?

+ 1000 on Nigel Calder's works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
"Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" - Nigel Calder.

"Marine Diesel Engines" - Nigel Calder.

Get the names, manufacturers and model numbers of all your equipment, including furlers, masts, engine, gearbox, chargers, stoves, heaters etc. Search manufacturers websites and the internet for Manitenance Manuals, owners Manuals and parts lists. save all this to your hard drive.

When I sign onto a vessel as; Skipper, long term crew, or to look after a vessel. I kinda' go one step further.
I put hard copies of the manuals & procedures for the most commonly used systems into 3-ring binders, & store them in or next to the Nav Station.

It tends to help newbies (or crew not quite up to speed on a new piece of gear) a good bit to learn about the boat, as well as getting up to speed on handling & caring for her. As when one's learning the basics of a system, with it's manual in hand, you kinda' can't help but peruse info on related topics & subsystems, while on the way to page X, to find the info bit(s) which you require.

Also, it's handy to have these semi-disposable/semi-water & drop proof copies of said info onboard which folks can take on deck, or leaf through with dirty hands, & not worry about hurting'em. Which in turn, makes the probability of them needing to wake up the skipper to ask about, say, how to tune the radar, a good bit less.

That, & on EVERY vessel I'm going further than the fuel dock on, I make CERTAIN that there is a diagram of the vessel listing EVERY through hull valve, or penetration onboard. Including what it's for, & if possible it's size also. Both in the binder, & affixed to the Nav Desk, in a water proof sleeve.
Plus at the earliest possible moment I attempt to make sure that there's a properly sized tapered, soft wood plug, attached with a lanyard to each through hull.

It is a long but satisfying journey to learn all bout your boat and her systems.
One day about an hour pre-race, on one of the 50'ers I raced on, & looked after, my best mate Sam arrived & inquired why the engine wasn't started yet. To which I replied that I was teaching Bill, one of the crew, the pre-startup checklist. One of the steps being ensuring that the correct batteries were switched on, or connected to one another in the proper sequence.
- As if you didn't do this, or did it incorrectly, you'd wind up dumping the info stored in some of the instruments. Or possibly wind up setting up a few batteries in Parallel, instead of Series, or vice versa.

The comment which came out of Sam's mouth was priceless, as he stated, "it's not Rocket Science". And he then began cycling the Perkos right at about the same time that it hit him that Bill was a Senior Engineer at Boeing. And yes, he literally was, a Rocket Scientist.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 04:53   #5

Re: Learning Cruising Boat "Systems"!

Another "ditto" for Ex-Calif's recommendations.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 07:21   #6

Re: Learning Cruising Boat "Systems"!

Mainesail pbase. Google that. Lots of great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, learning