Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:29   #1

Launching After Antifoul

hi all. just done the new antifoul on my arvor . all has gone well but what do i do about the piece i miss on the bottom of the keel where it has been sitting on the hard.when travelift picks up boat to relaunch .do i quickly paint the two bits i missed or just leave it?thanks for any advise.
gary.
fishingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:34   #2

Put some paint on there for sure; the yard shouldn't have any problems with that. They should have helped to move the stands.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:26   #3

A good yard, which is rare, will have prepped the areas where the keel rests on the shoring while the boat is first hanging in the straps. Then they'll pick a time for launching when she can have a few hours of drying time in the slings before launching so you can paint these areas properly. The deluxe way, and expensive, is to have her lifted two or more times in the slings to work on these areas.

If the keel is metal, or otherwise robust, the keel shoring can be quite small in area. Exactly how small should be figured by an engineer. Wood is good for maybe 500 psi so that 15,000 pound boat needs to bear on pieces of wood totaling only about 6" by 5".

And of course the yard will have used polyethylene covered carpet or cardboard or something against your hull and not just some crappy piece of lumber and bottom paint encrusted straps. I never knew my old yard was such a bunch of slackers until I had it done the right way, elsewhere, for the same price.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01   #4

thanks to both of you.well relaunched this morning and they held it on the travelift for about ten minutes so i could roll under the keel where it had been sitting .not much time to go off but hey there is something on there.thanks again .and for all the knowledge of all on here.much appreciated.
gary.mooloolaba australia.
fishingaz is offline   Reply With Quote