Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 12:51   #1

pirate Late 80's Najad or Passport- overkill as Caribbean Cruiser?

We're considering modifying our plans from full time liveaboards, to downsizing our home and buying a much smaller home and a cruising boat. Our planned trips would be mainly along the Florida Keys, and over to the Bahamas from Florida.

We had been planning on a 45-48' boat for the two of us, but are now looking at 36-40' cruisers. I've spotted a couple of late 80's Najads and Passport 40's. Given our travel plans, are these boats "overkill" on build quality and displacement?

Newer, lighter duty production boats could be had for the same price. Rather than a late 80's boat, we could have a late 90's cruiser with more space, albeit less storage and tankage.

Thoughts?
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 13:22   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Late 80's Najad or Passport- overkill as Caribbean Cruiser?

Hi Julie:

A bit of background information...we purchased our new to us Stevens 47 last August...sailed her from Pensacola Fl down around Key West, up to Boot Key Harbour, over to Bimini, as far south as Emerald Bay Resort Marina, then back up all the way to Freeport, and then over to Brunswick, Ga. We have a watermaker...it is very, very convenient. It also has a large solar farm and an onboard diesel generator...again, very convenient. Large tanks for water and diesel...very convenient.

Water, power and fresh food are expensive in the Bahamas. Period. The greater the quantity of these items that you take with you or in the case of water and power, produce, the more convenient for you, and it gives you more time to enjoy the anchorages. My 2 cents on that.

Boat size....I really appreciate the 47. It gives us room to have company, room for almost all the tools and spare parts that we are comfortable with, room for a watermaker and generator......

While over there, I have to admit that we were "small fish" compared to an awful lot of other boats. But, we also were larger than some others as well. We enjoyed seeing everything from 25 foot Catalinas to Hylas's and Morris's and other high end yachts that were difficult to measure they were so large. The larger boat allowed us to move in poor weather at a pace which got us to our next destination in a hurry, which sometimes was a very nice feature.

I am in the "bigger is better" fold.....my wife and I moved up from a Bayfield 29....and we are glad that we did. We started off looking at sailboats in the 36' range, then the 38', then the 40 to 44' range, but chose the 47 for it's poor weather abilities, it's storage, tankage, it's ability to comfortably take on guests, and still fit in with the rest of the cruising fleet there.

Passport or Najad? I have not been on a Najad....I have a Passport. So you know where my vote goes. I drool when I see a Passport, they are lovely and have an awesome reputation.

Ultimately, a decision you and your significant other will have to make together....but for what it is worth...I like the older, 80's vintage 44 to 48 foot range sailboats.

Sorry to ramble on...

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 13:29   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post

Newer, lighter duty production boats could be had for the same price. Rather than a late 80's boat, we could have a late 90's cruiser with more space, albeit less storage and tankage.

Thoughts?
Exactly! Get a boat for the planned use not the story of doom and gloom found in a book.

And I bet that "lighter duty production boat" is way tougher than you (and most others).
Old 29-03-2015, 13:30   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Julie,

Another of my offered opinions...

If you target the Keys and the Bahamas, why would you get a world cruiser?

Think about a AWB (generally more volume) with room to install a genset, water maker washing machine etc.

Think Bavaria, BenJen in the 40 ft plus. Far better value for your buck.

I had a 97 Bav 46 Exclusive and it sailed rings around most other boats of its size, yet did not weigh less than the competition indicating proper build.

Its your moolah... good luck to both of you.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 13:37   #5

Boat: Hylas 54

I am also in the bigger heavier is better camp. I spent 10 days going from Nassau to luperon on a choey lee 53. We enjoyed every bit of the size during a 30 hour stretch of 30-40 kts going by the Turks.

My wife and I have a Hylas 54 here in the Great Lakes and there are plenty of times we are very thankful for her size. Comfort isn't just from the Gen AC etc but displacement and sturdy construction make for comfort too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-03-2015, 14:39   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Any boat without a deep sump will be a miserable boat in any kind of weather. Water inevitably gets below and if not contained in a sump, will slosh about from gunwale to gunwale ruining everything it comes in contact with and making life miserable. Haven't seen any of these new boats with a decent sump.

A 10 year old boat could be the worst choice if you are looking for reliability. Motor, sails, electronics, etc are all getting to the point where they either need to be replaced or might not be reliable. I'd go for a boat that has been properly maintained with gear updated as necessary. Whether that's an '80s Naiad or a newer Beneteau.

FWIW, lighter is not necessarily faster except maybe in offwind surfing conditions. As long as the boat has the sail area to match the displacement, sailing ability may not be any different. In heavier conditions, may even go to the higher displacement boat. Add 5,000 pounds to a lightweight will have a greater effect on its sailing ability that the same weight in a heavier boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 14:57   #7

[QUOTE=Eleuthera 2014;1788226]Hi Julie,

[\Quote]
Two reasons,perhaps. First, it seems that every time we've bought quality, we've never been disappointed. Value versus short term cost, I guess. Secondly, I still dream of developing the skills and finding the time to travel further afield- be it Mexico or South America.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:14   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

[QUOTE=JulieMac;1788304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Two reasons,perhaps. First, it seems that every time we've bought quality, we've never been disappointed. Value versus short term cost, I guess. Secondly, I still dream of developing the skills and finding the time to travel further afield- be it Mexico or South America.
See here's the thing, do you really believe a 1980 Mercedes Benz is higher quality and less problem prone than a 2010 Toyota Camry? And believe me when I say that Camry in boat verizon is going to take you Mexico and South America just fine.
Old 29-03-2015, 17:14   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

If your cruising is to be limited to very timid waters and plenty of time in marinas and at anchor, I would always choose a modern, light, flattish and beamish boat, with huge cockpit and plenty of windows area.

However, if you envision any rough or tough passages, or if your cruising is to be in areas where you want to max out getting protection from the elements, then I would opt for a Passport Najad type of boat.

A Passport: I know one that our friend sailed rtw, mostly solo, at 80. I think it was great boat and he said very good things about his boat too.

A Najad: this is where it all gets a bit more complicated. You would have to be more specific as Najad made some essential changes in their building policy in late 80ies and in the 90ies and then they went belly up. There are some top quality Najad boats around and then there are some Najad boats around and you may want to understand what the differences are and how they bear on your boat choices.

Last but not least, you do not want an ugly boat, do you. So if you want a light, beamy and spacious boat that is as well built as a Passport or a Najad (but also that is as modern as a Bavaria), then there are some light, beamy, spacious and VERY WELL BUILT boats in this niche. Just google around, look at price tickets and you WILL get my drift (and what you pay far).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 17:45   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Our Tayana is a moderately heavy world cruise capable yacht. We live aboard and cruise Southern California ( point Conception to Ensenada so far with this boat ) mostly at anchor or on moorings with some time in marinas. Lots of lighter production boats do what we do. But, we've been caught out in 35-45 knots and 12 ft swells, road out 57 knots at anchor and we're really happy for the strength and steady ride she gave us. I'm not meaning to denigrate lighter production boats, just commenting that we also are never sorry we chose the higher quality boat. Then too, here is the "aaah, and oh what a gorgeous boat" factor.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 18:45   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

If you over buy from what you think you may be good enough, you will appreciate it on that occasion when you are in a situation that makes you really happy you have more boat. I also believe in pride in ownership, and the enjoyment of quality. I still, 15 years later, like being down below, looking at the traditional interior of my boat, and still enjoying it. I also like the displacement and hull design that just seems to flatten waves, not pound.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 22:08   #12

[QUOTE=JulieMac;1788304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hi Julie,

[\Quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If your cruising is to be limited to very timid waters and plenty of time in marinas and at anchor, I would always choose a modern, light, flattish and beamish boat, with huge cockpit and plenty of windows area.

However, if you envision any rough or tough passages, or if your cruising is to be in areas where you want to max out getting protection from the elements, then I would opt for a Passport Najad type of boat.

A Passport: I know one that our friend sailed rtw, mostly solo, at 80. I think it was great boat and he said very good things about his boat too.

A Najad: this is where it all gets a bit more complicated. You would have to be more specific as Najad made some essential changes in their building policy in late 80ies and in the 90ies and then they went belly up. There are some top quality Najad boats around and then there are some Najad boats around and you may want to understand what the differences are and how they bear on your boat choices.

Cheers,
b.
I had seen a late 80's Najad 370 and early 90's 360. If we were able to spend more, I fancied an early 90's Najad 420. Sweet looking boat!
Old 30-03-2015, 07:53   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

[QUOTE=JulieMac;1788612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post

I had seen a late 80's Najad 370 and early 90's 360. If we were able to spend more, I fancied an early 90's Najad 420. Sweet looking boat!
360/370 were, I believe, used by Ms. Socrates. You can call her up and she will be a bulletproof source of first hand information on what these models are about and why.

If I were picking for ourselves, I would be very happy to buy a N390 (1984-1995). Last year I actually found one without teak deck and already converted to double forestay rig. I think 100% go anywhere boat for anyone that puts emphasis on quality and on sailing and see-keeping side of their boat.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:52   #14

Hi.
I´m not the one to ask about the cruising abilities, but however got a good understanding of build quality. The passport I never encountered, so I really does not got an opinion on those.
The Najad boats however are a really solid build, made with the same or equal components as HallbergRassy and are similar in quality of woodwork and varnish.
There is a smal difference in style thue, and thats only personal preference if thats appealing.
Meggazombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, cruiser, najad, rib