Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2018, 05:09   #1

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5
Late 80s early 90s Jeanneau Voyage 12.5 Info?

With the exception of a couple listed for sale, I can't much info at all about the model. Anyone with direct experience or knowledge? Pros/cons/issues?
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 07:29   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 12.5
Re: Late 80s early 90s Jeanneau Voyage 12.5 Info?

Sorry, this is a bit late,
I have a Voyage 12.5 and love her to bits. I have spent many hours repairing and sorting problems, she was not in the best condition when I bought her. The Voyage, however, is a very well designed and built boat. Very strong with quality wood inside. The roof windows are a disadvantage as they need maintenance every now and again - they will leak if not looked after.
I have the Yanmar engine and a folding Volvo prop.
Mediterranian style mooring took some practice as I don't have a bow thruster, but now I am reasonably confident backing into tight spots.
rwlh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:28   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Late 80s early 90s Jeanneau Voyage 12.5 Info?

A few years ago the 12.5 was a top contender for "the next boat" so I did a lot of research.

You're right- there is very little information available, odd because of the quantity of these boats made.

In searching YW, I found that listings were extremely variable and uneducated, so it takes multiple searches to find all of the 12.5s. Some are listed as "voyage" others as "voyager", others without any version of that. Many do not include the "12.5". I've seen them listed as 40' Jeanneaus and 43' Jeanneau. I'd commonly seen them listed as Jeanneau 41. The best way to "find them all" is search for Jeanneau between 40' and 43' and filter out what you don't like.

I researching the 12.5s available, I found that one had been for sale for more than five years. Another had changed hands three times in three years, selling for something like $85k, $35k, $50k. I was talking to the broker in the middle year when the boat sold. Asking had been $50k, I was going to offer $42, and sombody got it before me with that $35k offer. Less than a year later it sold for close to $50k.

There are two galley designs, one curved and gorgeous, one a straight slab. I was told the latter was for the reduced price charter market.

Beware that brokers will pull boats- including the 12.5- off the market for a year after they don't sell. So whatever you find on YW there are more for sale, the broker simply doesn't want to carry an over-priced boat for an unyielding seller. If you're serious, call a broker and see what they have that's not listed. At one time there were three 12.5s for sale on Lake Champlain alone.

In general, I think the design is far more solid than Beneteaus of the same era.

As with any older boat, condition varies extensively. Beware photos which may be, like a dating website, five or ten years old- ask for fresh photos before travel or offers. Having watched a number of listings (not just 12.5s) over the course of three years it's interesting to see how photos change- cushions change color, bottom gets repainted, hey where did the rudder go? Dude, are the cushions blue or orange or tan? Which is it? Is there an arch or not? Get fresh photos!

Remember that a lot of these boats are abused. Look at photos of the engine. One 12.5 engine had been quickly spraypainted and if you know what you're looking at it was obvious they stuck lipstick on a pig. Look for signs of water leaks, particularly in the forward cabin and salon windows. Deck saturation is a real problem with boats of this vintage.

It's a great boat, I wish you luck finding the one that is right for you!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau