Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2013, 13:56   #1

Largest Sailing Community in Florida?

Anyone know where Florida's most popular sailing area is? I just moved here and am looking to buy a boat and work in the industry. How bad is the economy and are boats moving much at all?

Old 17-07-2013, 14:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Largest Sailing Community in Florida?

A couple of areas where there are a lot of sailing. Southeast FL from W Palm Beach to Miami and the Tampa Bay area are probably the two largest. Lots of boating in the Keys as well but in Florida it's everywhere.

Old 17-07-2013, 14:14   #3

Do you think Tampa would be the most consolidated? Also, any idea if the economy is better in one area over the other?

Thanks!
Old 17-07-2013, 14:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Another vote for Tampa Bay, but what are you looking to do "in the industry"?
Old 17-07-2013, 14:19   #5

I'm open to what's available but sales is where I'd like to be if there is any movement right now.
Old 17-07-2013, 14:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

What is your experience? What have you professionally done in the yachting industry? Sales is cut throat, and unless you have been in the yachting industry it is very difficult to break into...
Old 17-07-2013, 15:18   #7

I have a lot of marketing experience but not in the marine field. I refurbished boats and flipped them in Seattle but it wasn't my bread and butter. I'm a jack of all trades type (but I wouldn't consider myself a expert in any of those). Sales is really my strong suit.
Old 17-07-2013, 15:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Call the moorings yacht brokerage in dania beach. They are hiring I think. Good luck!
Old 17-07-2013, 15:40   #9

Hey, thanks!
Old 17-07-2013, 15:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailagape View Post
Hey, thanks!
Better have some money in the bank or a night job to pay the bills if you're going into boat sales. Most of these are commission based and the sales cycle is usually pretty long. I used to be a yacht broker and it took me a year to make enough money to pay for gas to get to work. I had customers that I worked with for 1-2 years before they finally bought a boat. That's not even counting the dozens that never bought.

However, considering the poor experience reported by many with yacht brokers these days (including me) someone on the ball, responsive to the customer and honest shoud be able to do well. My last boat purchase I called a few brokers. Most never even returned my call. One I called about a specific listing I learned that the boat really wasn't what I wanted so gave him a complete description of what I wanted: sloop or cutter rig, 36-44', center cockpit/aft cabin, etc. He sent me listings for aft cockpit ketches. Obviously I didn't buy from him.

So if you can actually listen to the customer, follow up, do what you promise then you could do well. Just plan on being self supporting for many months until the commissions come in.
Old 17-07-2013, 16:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Better have some money in the bank or a night job to pay the bills if you're going into boat sales. Most of these are commission based and the sales cycle is usually pretty long. I used to be a yacht broker and it took me a year to make enough money to pay for gas to get to work. I had customers that I worked with for 1-2 years before they finally bought a boat. That's not even counting the dozens that never bought.

However, considering the poor experience reported by many with yacht brokers these days (including me) someone on the ball, responsive to the customer and honest shoud be able to do well. My last boat purchase I called a few brokers. Most never even returned my call. One I called about a specific listing I learned that the boat really wasn't what I wanted so gave him a complete description of what I wanted: sloop or cutter rig, 36-44', center cockpit/aft cabin, etc. He sent me listings for aft cockpit ketches. Obviously I didn't buy from him.

So if you can actually listen to the customer, follow up, do what you promise then you could do well. Just plan on being self supporting for many months until the commissions come in.
I would agree in everything stated above. One thing that is important is to know the boats you are selling, and stay with your specialty. I would also stress the fact that you will not make a dime for months when getting started. So you better have a way to pay your bills. I still do the random captaining job to put some extra beer/travel money in my back pocket. Just like in real estate, 10% of the brokers make 90% of the money... I working 60 hours a week, so that I can make it into that 10% bracket one day...
Old 17-07-2013, 18:27   #12

I lived in Miami a long time and moved to the Tampa area a year ago, Tampa is less expensive to live but south Florida should have more opportunity.
Old 17-07-2013, 19:24   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Ft lauderdale is the yachting capital of the USA

Drive down hmmmm I think it's route 84 you will see why

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 19:41   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

However, considering the poor experience reported by many with yacht brokers these days (including me) someone on the ball, responsive to the customer and honest shoud be able to do well. My last boat purchase I called a few brokers. Most never even returned my call.
Nailed it. I had the same experience a few boats a go. I guess they just don't believe you when you say you want a boat that they are listing. My last home purchase was cash. I called 7 Real estate brokers in Ca. when I lived in Hi. I left messages with all of them and told them it was a cash purchase. It was at the bottom of the market in 2008/2009. Finally, one guy called me back and I made a purchase within 3 months. Blew me away that they wouldn't be jumping on it. Maybe the had day jobs busing tables or something.
In regards to the OP's question of the boat market. Here on the left coast, decent boats are rising a little in price and I see more purchases than the last few years. There is still the usual, unkempt junk out there. But I think we will see the boat market recover as more surplus money are in peoples bank accounts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 17:23   #15
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Manta Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailagape View Post
Anyone know where Florida's most popular sailing area is? I just moved here and am looking to buy a boat and work in the industry. How bad is the economy and are boats moving much at all?
Check Out Charlotte Harbor - Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte

Tags
florida, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: