Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 05:38   #1

Boat: Morgan 382 "Tropical Wave"
Larger Fuel Tank

We are (still) interested in a Pearson 34 CB for a cruise down the ICW and then the Bahamas / Northern Caribbean. The Pearson is one boat that seems to be a reasonable compromise (i.e. I can't find a compelling reason NOT to buy one) with the exception of her limited (20US gal) fuel capacity. I would be much happier with 30 gal of diesel. I know I can carry a couple of jerry cans, but then you are challenged with getting that fuel into the tanks in the middle of the night when it is blowing 20kn and the seas are running 10 ft. (yes, i know I shouldn't be out there motoring in those conditions, but humour me please).

So what are the viable options? I read about people adding additional tankage for water, but how difficult is it to add a 2nd tank for fuel? Or does anyone know these boats well enough to know if I could install a larger tank in place of the stock 20-gal one?

Or am I far too worried about it, and I should just but buy the boat and 2 big yellow cans of diesell and go for it?

Thanks for your guidance.

John
chuckiebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:08   #2

Quote:
Or am I far too worried about it, and I should just but buy the boat and 2 big yellow cans of diesell and go for it?
IMHO, I think you hit on the answer there. What size engine does the boat have and how much does she drink per hour? I made the trip you contemplate with a 20 gallon fuel tank and two of the big yellow cans. Mine was a 30' boat with a 2 cylinder 25 hp Volvo that sipped just a 1/2 gallon an hour motoring 5 kts in a smooth sea. That gave me (15 x 2 x 5) 150 nautical mile range while leaving 25% in the tank to avoid sucking air in the line in a rough sea. (12 x 2 x 5) 120 additional miles from the 6 gallon cans, which are also important because in the remote areas they give you the freedom to fill the tank by dingying ashore. Only once did I struggle to add fuel to the tank, while crossing the Mona Passage on a bumpy trip between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, and most of it still mananged to get into the tank. Almost everywhere else the passages are short enough between fuel stops that I did my tank filling at anchor.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
A second tank is very simple. A larger tank is just as simple. The issue will be, can I find room to fit a second tank, or is there room enough to enlarge what I have. Apart from that, 10gallons is not a large amount of fuel. Sorry I can't convert to ltrs, but I use 10 ltrs/hr in econo mode and 15 ltrs/hr if I push her along. I have 360ltrs onboard. Thats fine for most of my sailing, but if I want to do extended coastal, I need more.
It's a four hr trip under motor to our sailing grounds which is a bummer, arrrr, but the most spectacular scenery on the way, so I suppose I better stop complaining

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 13:44   #4

Boat: 1981 C&C 34
My C&C 34 also has a 20 gallon tank that feeds a 20hp Yanmar. I roughly figure it has a two day run-time and try to fill the tank in the morning if I anticipate motoring all day.

I picked up a "Petro Pump" (not from Amazon, Boater's World had them for around $20 without the gas can) and use it to transfer fuel. It makes far less of a mess when I can do it with the fuel can sitting on the cockpit floor.
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 13:50   #5

Wheels.

I converted the liters for you.

10 ltrs per hour is 2.64173 US gallons.

15 ltrs per hour is 3.96259 US gallons.

Your total fuel tankage is 360 ltrs = 95.10223 US gallons.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:34   #6

Boat: Morgan 382 "Tropical Wave"
Alan, 10 gal is a lot of fuel when the tank only holds 20... it's a relative thing.

And I am assuming the consumption is probably .5 to .75 gal/hr (say roughly 2-3 litres/hr) so I am talking about an extra say 15 hours or 90 miles (@ 6kn). That is significant enpugh to make me want to investigate up-sizing the tankage.

John.
chuckiebits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank