Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2008, 10:28   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
What was typically found, although different boats wold have different issues, were problems at the hull to deck joints, Stress cracks at many critical points especially hardware attachment, bulkhead tabbing loose many pieces of hardware in need of replacement due to poor quality and premature wear showing. There would be several issues wit the standing rigging and its attachment points and hardware. Systems and wiring were not quite as bad but obviously the minimum needed to get by were used. Layup in the hulls were iffy. Some were done OK while others had definite oil canning due to lack of reinforcement in key areas and just not enough glass layed up in other areas. Perhaps Lancerbye avoided all of these issues but you need to be aware of them. There are too many other options out there to settle for a maybe OK boat. The Schucker is a good example. On the other hand if you plan to use this boat as a floating condo on protected water it will hold together fine for that purpose.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 10:18   #17

Boat: Lancer, Motorsailer, 45 - Carpe Diem
Interesting Chuck, I too own a Lancer 44 Motorsailer 1981 which was purchased just last summer from the previous owner. It had not been maintained very well at all for the last ten years. I had been out fishing on this same boat in the Sea of Cortez and we were caught in a powerful Northerner two years ago with high 60-70 kts winds and the boat handled very well with only one motor running. We ran 20 miles to a cove to anchor and get out of the ten to twelve foot seas and high wind. One engine was shut down earlier do to over heating (thermostate stuck) just before the wind came up. No sails up, but with one engine running at 1800 rpm the boat handled very well (being an ex-navy on-ship navigator I can relate). I recently had the boat hauled and bottom repainted, not one blister was one the bottom. No signs of canning or stress on the hull were evident. In fact a very very (old) seasoned surveyor that saw the boat out of the water could not believe the excellent overall condition of the boat and quality of the hull. Granted, as an older boat there are issues that need to be addressed, some of which you mentioned, but fiberglass heals a lot of above-deck problems (and below deck if needed). Not one of which I have examined so far that cannot easily and fairly cheaply be repaired, reinforced, or cosmetically fixed. I have owned serval older boats and a couple new ones, and helped many others refit older boats and I challenge anyone who buys an older boat that has not been kept in absolute prestine condition by the previous owner to not be reqiired to spend some time, effort and money to bring these old boats up to a nearer to new condition. Several other motorsailers I looked at before making an offer on this one, even the one named above as a preferred, needed a lot of work and refit to bring them up to an acceptable quality level.

However, for the money, quality (some of us see in a Lancer Motorsailer), and operation, the Lancer Motorsaier is very hard to beat. My Opinon, Don
Carpe Diem 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 15:37   #18

And if you'd like a really cool Schucker, then please buy mine.
Schucker 50 GOLDIE: Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldie.jpg
Views:	2646
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	3970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover picture.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	3971  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat pics (5).JPG
Views:	745
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	3972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0135.JPG
Views:	3641
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	3973  

Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:56   #19

Boat: Lancer 28 - Semper Libra
"the worst production boat ever built"...That's a pretty broad statement. I have seen a few Hunters...Well anyway...We keep a Lancer 28 shoal draft sloop on a trailer in Mexico and use her to cruise the Sea Of Cortez. I paid $10K for her (in Mexico) which included a new 10hp long shaft Mercury 4-stroke engine. Yes, the portlights are crap and leak badly as do most of the deck fittings. But she's sea-worthy and sails nicely and has done everything I have asked her to do. Would I take her out on the open ocean on a thousand mile passage? Heck no! But that was never my intension..
Fair-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 19:07   #20

Boat: Bayliner 2452
Yea I'm new too

Yea I'm new too
So some of you remind me of grade school, remember Beatles or Beach Boys. Different bands focused on completely different geographics. What your wife wants first for her comfort then what you can afford...... That's what matters.
Doesnt matter,, go with what you got. maintain it like your life depended upon it. If you got the courage to leave, sell the house & cars and go. Otherwise watch local TV and write this stuff. Nothing matters about your stupid boat. Know your boat and it's likes and dislikes. Stop being stupid. You can transverse the world in a boat made of milk cartons, if you can maintain them. Boat has nothing to do with it, you do. I suggest you go in comfort, so the Lancer is a great choice. Ignore people who want to scare you. Dont be a wimp because life is to short. Live your dreams and ignore the folks who give you reason to doubt yourself. They are in there house and giving their advise MAYBE based on some fact lived out years ago, before electronics. I would take a 42/44 Lancer anywhere. Sorry about the freeks. Same people I dealt with buying a Bayliner 2452. I was told it was a piece o f#%*@ in the chat rooms. So guess what, I have had that boat all over the southwest. Beating into swells at 22 knots and doing all the things they say I cant do. Funny thing is it has the same power plant as the expensive power boats have.
If you buy a boat that is a 1960 model and it's floating .,after a survey I would take it...Tim
sailortim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 19:43   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
say what? someone has been inhaling too much exhaust.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 07:48   #22

Boat: Bayliner 2452
Yea Chuck, gasoline for now because it gets me there quicker! Sorry about the rant, it's just that I havent seen the list of sunk boats by name brand. Thanks for not grading my spelling or grammer :->
sailortim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 00:52   #23

Boat: Lancer 44PS, 44ft.Motorsailer, MaryMar
We have had our 1981 Lancer 44 for some 12+ years and she has been a wonderful boat. When we purchased her from the 2nd owner in Casifornia we had an extensive survey and she passed with flying colors. The only real problem we have had was with the big 185hp Perkins (yes 2) that we replaced with twin Yanmar 200hp 4 cylender engines a couple of years ago. The Perkins were just to big and were impossible to work on because of the physical size of the engines and the ever present English oli leaks that are standard equipment. After we had had the boat for approx. five years, the owner that we bought if from called and wanted to buy it back in the worst way -- she was not for sale then and she is still not for sale! Some of the late production (around 1986) boats the were produced when Lancer Yachts were going bankrupt were of questionable quality, but not all of them. In the early years of our ownrship I had a Lancer owner's web site called "The Lancer Yacht Connection" and was not made aware of anyone that had serious problems. While probably not of the "pureist" of sailors we found that 10 ft. following seas in the Straits of Gerogia were best handled by powering with the bow handing over the lead wave which is quite comfotable -- you have to have the power to due this, and we do (MaryMar will do 18+ knts. under power - the guys in the marina call her a "wanta-be sail boat", but we love her just he same!) Good luck with search.
Lancer 44PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 21:34   #24

Re: Lancer Motorsailer

Yep, I genuinely concur - naturally any option should be qualified and offer a fair review by one's peers.

Q: Exactly what (or whats - plurl) EXACTLY (pls) was wrong with the vessel. I have seen two (2) up close and participated in the survey on one - and yes, found some problems, but the value (boat / $) took care of any real concerns I would have. And, also, pls look at the 72 Lancer and compare it's parts with the 42 Lancer (lots are the same, wow.)
JakeatSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
The Lancer line of boats was one of the poorest production boats ever put together. Cross it off your list and find one of the thousands of other boats available on the market to fit your needs.
Hi,
Could you detail what makes the Lancer a poor boat? Are all models and years poor? Any other info you deem relevant? Thank you,
john
johnb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb23 View Post
Hi,
Could you detail what makes the Lancer a poor boat? Are all models and years poor? Any other info you deem relevant? Thank you,
john
I didn't see all the answers to my question before i posted...Please ignore, sorry....
johnb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:43   #27

Boat: 54×14 Continental houseboat
Re: Huh

Sure I'm thinking about buying a lancer 42 and it also is loaded to the teeth the one I'm looking at is a 1981 lancer 42 and I was wondering what year was yours also
Old 05-12-2020, 01:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Insearchof

Mine is a twin 85 hp @2600 rpm Perkins with BW velvet drive trannies. I haven't yet been out in anything bigger than 6 ft. following seas, no problems. I did use the motor and motorsailed. I have the boomless main so downwind sailing does not get you enough power for down wind sailing. The boat will go down wind but you won't be breaking any speed records. I am in the process of setting up an asym. spinaker to solve that problem. Mine is an 1981. It sails well at other points of sail and doesn't heel a lot.The boat will squat a bit when under power but not a lot. It will do 10 knots under power while burning 3 gph. If the winds are light I prefer motorsailing with one engine running at 1000rpm. Fuel consumption drops to .5 gal/hr and getting between 7.5 and 8 knots is not difficult.With out the engine in 5 to 10 knot breeze you will top out at about 5.5 to 6 knots. It points up well. I mostly coastal cruise so I have no first hand experience in the bluewater with this boat. However the Straits of Georgia can provide one with some interesting challenges. I am also getting up there in years so I wanted comfort and ease of sail handling. Manoeuvering this boat in marinas is a treat because of the twins and a bow thruster. The back cockpit also offers a great fishing platform, another of my favourite pastimes. What you plan on doing with a boat should determine the type of boat you want to get. This is the right type for me. It is not the right type for everyone.
SirI was also thinking about buying a lancer 42, it looks like a very nice boat and I'm just about to have a survey done on it, then a sea trial, and on this forum here I've read three accounts where people own them and you be in the third like the very well and had a high opinion even though I've heard double negative but they didn't own one they were just going by hearsay, I was curious to which one that you own of the lancer 45 or 44 - 1981 lancer 42 masthead sloop it also has the Perkins in it like yours and it it's loaded with all the bells and whistles it's a beautiful thing I sure would appreciate just a little more input from you please
Old 05-12-2020, 02:05   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
And if you'd like a really cool Schucker, then please buy mine.
Schucker 50 GOLDIE: Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale
Scott
Well I can't help it I love pilot House boats and I am looking and it does look nice I can't help myself I'm going to have to ask you how much
Old 05-12-2020, 02:11   #30

Re: Yea I'm new too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortim View Post
Yea I'm new too
So some of you remind me of grade school, remember Beatles or Beach Boys. Different bands focused on completely different geographics. What your wife wants first for her comfort then what you can afford...... That's what matters.
Doesnt matter,, go with what you got. maintain it like your life depended upon it. If you got the courage to leave, sell the house & cars and go. Otherwise watch local TV and write this stuff. Nothing matters about your stupid boat. Know your boat and it's likes and dislikes. Stop being stupid. You can transverse the world in a boat made of milk cartons, if you can maintain them. Boat has nothing to do with it, you do. I suggest you go in comfort, so the Lancer is a great choice. Ignore people who want to scare you. Dont be a wimp because life is to short. Live your dreams and ignore the folks who give you reason to doubt yourself. They are in there house and giving their advise MAYBE based on some fact lived out years ago, before electronics. I would take a 42/44 Lancer anywhere. Sorry about the freeks. Same people I dealt with buying a Bayliner 2452. I was told it was a piece o f#%*@ in the chat rooms. So guess what, I have had that boat all over the southwest. Beating into swells at 22 knots and doing all the things they say I cant do. Funny thing is it has the same power plant as the expensive power boats have.
If you buy a boat that is a 1960 model and it's floating .,after a survey I would take it...Tim
Thank you sir you push me over the top I'm looking at a 1981 lancer 42 masthead sloop and the thing is beautiful the people have kept it clean to a tee the engine compartment is just immaculate and I'm going to have a survey done on it and then I'm going for a sea trial and the information that you have said and five others that I've listened seen on this site say good things about it then I want to slap the money down on the barrel and then I'm going to do what I've wanted to do since I was a little boy sail this world thank you for your insight

Tags
lancer, motorsailer