Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 17:56   #1

Lancer 27 Sailing Characteristics

I am looking for an easy sailboat to single hand and saw a Lancer 27. I currently have an O'Day 22 which is very easy to sail by myself.

The Lancer 27 is listed as a power sailor in some advertisements. Anything "power" in a sailboat seems like I would be giving up sailing characteristics in order to gain power benefits. My most frequent sailing is by myself for day sails but I would like to sail to/anchor overnight at Santa Cruz and day sail around Anacapa.

Does anyone have any experience with sailing Lancer 27's:
How they handle in light and heavy seas/wind?
How well they last - hull and fittings?
How do they compare sailing speed wise to Catalinas?

Thanks Much,
RickJ
RickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 09:36   #2

Re: Lancer 27 Sailing Characteristics

Greetings Rick,

We sail out of Dana Point and have owned a Lancer 27ps for over four years. Prior to owning her, we had Columbias and Coronados. I purchased the Lancer because it was manufactured by Dick Valdez, who had run Coronado...and I loved my Coronados.

The Lancer 27ps is a compromise design. She is designed to carry up to a 100+ hp outboard, be able to plane, and also sail. Like most compromises, she didn't do either right when we got her. As a sailor, I made the decision to refit her extensively so that she was a capable sailboat that would also go faster than a traditional sailboat under power (we use a 40 hp two-stroke. Most 27's use 10hp).

I'll be glad to take a call from you to explain all of the changes I made,as well as take you for a spin if you're local.

We're very happy with her. She has weatherhelm when going downwind in a following sea. Other then that, she's a blast on the water. She has the largest cockpit of any 27 I've seen. Easily hosts six adult passengers comfortably without any encroachment on the helm, and her cabin is a powerboat design rather than a traditional sailboat interior. I would have trouble going back to a traditional sailboat design after owning her.

One of the changes I made was to replace the boom with a longer one, drill out the rivets that fixed the boom to the mast and made it a slider to enhance trimming options I also replaced the small mainsail with one from an Olsen 30 and sail a 120 Genoa as our foresail. The result is that she is very fast. We have hit 9 knts and easily run consistently over 7 knts.

Send me an email directly to exchange phone numbers: Pointnclickus@cox.net.

Calm Seas,
Rudy
Dana Point, Ca
Rudy Gartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:18   #3

Re: Lancer 27 Sailing Characteristics

Mr Gartner, are you still available to discuss the Lancer ?
NB27PS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lancer, sailing