Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 14:36   #46

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But surely a vessel that is 'Hove-to' is a 'Vessel not under Command' and therefore every other vessel is obliged to give way...
Negative.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:44   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
In my view, if crew doesn't give the cook a heads up of 10 minutes or more that there is a potential issue there is a crew problem. .
Some of us solo from time to time, and/or the crew gets sick or sleeps and we solo anyhow. Nice to have galley that helps to accomodate this.

Quote:
If one HAS to heave to for meal prep there is a design problem.
But so what. Heave-to offers much better motion and there is no loss of pride making good use of this while cooking. Many a salty cruiser will heave-to while cooking, particularly during heavy seas.

Besides, the luxury of having the right of way while cooking has equal applicability under sail , not just heaved-to.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:46   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post
I'm thankful that Mr. Brewer was aware of such reasons.
Brewer is old school. He drew my boat too.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:49   #49

Really it's not all that big of a deal. It all comes done to whether you want to be obligated to tack out of another boat's way during the middle of cooking. You still have to maintain a lookout, no matter what. It's just a convenience thing. Or course, the more short handed you are and/or the more traffic there is, the bigger the convenience.

Somebody asked why, and I said why. This not is creed from gawd. It's just a nautical thing based on the right-of-way rules.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:50   #50

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
[QUOTE=Hiracer;575030Heave-to offers much better motion and there is no loss of pride making good use of this while cooking. Many a salty cruiser will heave-to while cooking, particularly during heavy seas.[/QUOTE]

Okay. You and I have different experience. Mine is based on deliveries where keeping the boat moving is a priority. That's the environment I cook in. Hasn't been a problem, and frankly my crews have been pretty happy with the grub.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:59   #51

Quote:
Okay. You and I have different experience. Mine is based on deliveries where keeping the boat moving is a priority. That's the environment I cook in. Hasn't been a problem, and frankly my crews have been pretty happy with the grub.
I am a Wuss, capital W.

I usually do not hove-to but the few times I have it's been a godsend.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:00   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sorry mate but I think 'Hove-to' comes under/within these parameters... take your pick but its not the give way vessel..the vessel under command is...
RULE 27:
VESSEL NOT UNDER COMMAND
(a) A vessel not under command shall exhibit:
    1. two all-round red lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen;
    2. two balls or similar shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen;
    3. when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.
(b) A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, except a vessel engaged in mineclearance operations, shall exhibit:
    1. three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
    2. three shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these shapes shall be balls and the middle one a diamond.
    3. when making way through the water, [a masthead light or lights/ masthead lights], sidelights and a sternlight in addition to the lights prescribed in subparagraph (b)(i);
    4. when at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (b)(i) and (b) (ii), the light, lights, or shapes prescribed in Rule 30.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 15:03   #53

Quote:
and frankly my crews have been pretty happy with the grub.
Mmm. I have a port side galley and I get grumbles from the crew about my cooking. Maybe I bought the wrong boat after all.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:04   #54

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Thanks everyone. Port it is. I see no reason not to.

Let the fun begin.....
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 15:06   #55

Quote:
Sorry mate but I think 'Hove-to' comes under/within these parameters... take your pick but its not the give way vessel..the vessel under command is...

A boat hove-to does not fit the definition of being not-under command (see rule 3.f), and therefore by deductive logic is under command.

That is to say, it's a simple matter (usually) to stop being hove-to and sail the boat or turn on the diesel.

Rule 27 is what you must do if you are not a vessel under command.

Rule 3
(f) The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:07   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Thanks everyone. Port it is. I see no reason not to.

Let the fun begin.....
What do you have against a good Cabernet Sauvignon?
Old 09-12-2010, 15:15   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
A boat hove-to does not fit the definition of being not-under command, and therefore by deductive logic is under command.

That is to say, it's a simple matter (usually) to stop being hove-to and sail the boat or turn on the diesel.
Not under command = no one steering.

Restricted in ability to manover = your wheels lashed over and your sails are backed
Why you are is irrelavant... what matters is you are

And as long as your displaying the required marks it'll stand the test of the Courts.
Leaving aside doing it in the middle of a shipping channel just to cook lunch...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:17   #58

Quote:
Not under command = no one steering.

Restricted in ability to manover = your wheels lashed over and your sails are backed
Why you are is irrelavant... what matters is you are

And as long as your displaying the required marks it'll stand the test of the Courts.
Negative.

Rule 3
(f) The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Vessel not under command is most definitely not an elective status.

Rule 27 is what you do to communicate your status because you can't comply with the rules concerning right of way, otherwise the assumption among other boats is that you will comply, giving way when needed for example.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:24   #59

Mmm. If this keeps up I think I might start supporting mandatory tests and driver licenses for boaters.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:26   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ok.. whatever..
I'll just carry on doing what I've been doing for years...
Although as someone said above.. a powerboater may not have a clue what hove-to is... but then I know a French sailing man who does not either.. mind he was motorsailing...
does that make him a 'Transboatual'