Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 08:54   #1

Kitchen Layout ?

I have noticed that many of the boats in my area of interest tend to have the kitchen along the side of the boat opposite the dining table, rather than an L shaped kitchen near the entry.

I guess this is a "charter thing" allowing more than one to prepare the meal while you are at anchor or in port.

My gut feeling is that it must be much more difficult to brace yourself when preparing food whilst the boat is under sail and is not suited to long distance cruising. I'm inclined to over look those boats at the moment when browsing the sale sites.

Is that a fair assessment?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:08   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
many boats have the ability to cruise long distances with galley layout in a long line rather than in a u or L shape--many folks donot use galley during passages--eat finger foods which are easier to prepare than cooking and trying to remain upright--also in use for long distance cruising are straps to secure the cook into position in the galley--either way has been used for many years.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:36   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
maybe not a charter thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I guess this is a "charter thing" allowing more than one to prepare the meal while you are at anchor or in port.
I've always thought of it more of a French thing. While there may be exceptions, boats built in France are less likely to differentiate between the salon and the galley than boats built in other countries.
Old 16-09-2009, 09:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've always thought of it more of a French thing. While there may be exceptions, boats built in France are less likely to differentiate between the salon and the galley than boats built in other countries.
The French boats seem to come boat ways depending on who (charter or private) ordered it, but it seems like all Bavaria's I've seen lately have the kitchen along the port side.
Old 16-09-2009, 09:47   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
I have noticed that many of the boats in my area of interest tend to have the kitchen along the side of the boat opposite the dining table, rather than an L shaped kitchen near the entry.

My gut feeling is that it must be much more difficult to brace yourself when preparing food whilst the boat is under sail and is not suited to long distance cruising. I'm inclined to over look those boats at the moment when browsing the sale sites.

The reason charter boats have the galley along a side of the main saloon is that they can then put in two aft cabins. This configuration is very poor for cruising. I would not buy a boat without a good secure station at the galley where the cook can tuck in.
Old 16-09-2009, 10:15   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you look back a few years to production of cal boats--they also have the same galley configuration--i highly doubt that can be attributed to the french---as do the islander 41 freeport--one plan has same configuration--i doubt that is french---history is being repeated and the origin is some designer unknown to me---but who did design boats in usa for a bit of time......some folks enjoy that configuration--i do not care how my galley is configured as long as there is some way to maintain upright status in my galley!!!! LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 17:30   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
A very fair assesment!

We don't know anyone who prefers the linear galley over the U shape.
And the folks earlier are right, its the double aft cabin that forces amny boats to have the linear galley.

There are some ex-charter boats with the U galley but they are a bit harder to find.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 17:54   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
It is comfortable to be able to brace oneself when cooking - so my choice is to be surrounded by - the stairs behind me, the kitchen sinks to one side and the bulkhead to the other. And an angled footstep in front of the galley is nice too - but can be retrofitted.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 18:41   #9

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
My deep seated prejudices ... which are no substitute for informed opion. Interested to hear more from people who have spent plenty of time at sea with both setups:

At sea for long periods, generally better in U-shapes with sinks towards centre line. Heat & smells are also meant to vent better from U-shapes closer to hatch. Agree with everything said about bracing, etc.

Preferences may depend on how far you intend to travel in one hop. Days on end of finger food may get a wee bit tedious ... but for typical coastal hops could work OK. I understand linear galleys work better when the boat is reasonably level.

Several sailing books have sections on this ... e.g. try Calder, Roth?
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 22:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
A very fair assesment!

We don't know anyone who prefers the linear galley over the U shape.
And the folks earlier are right, its the double aft cabin that forces amny boats to have the linear galley.

There are some ex-charter boats with the U galley but they are a bit harder to find.
I was looking at the 393's for sale in the Med and again most of them had the linear galley

On the plus side at least the boat that came up top of my shopping list to start with, the Jeanneau SO37 (1999+ at least) only comes with the L galley but they still managed to fit the 3rd cabin and it's big brother the SO40 is the same
Old 16-09-2009, 23:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393
The 2-cabin 393's (as MarkJ has I think) have a better galley than the 3-cabin version, which is linear. We have the linear 3-cabin due to our family requirements. That said, I've heard no complaints yet about the galley underway. Maybe ignorance is bliss.....thank goodness the food magically comes up from down below while sailing!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 23:29   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

In some production boats the aft cabin configuration is the key to the galley and extra storage space.
In the above example of the 393 there is a U shape galley and one aft cabin. If you notice that white blob at the foot of the aft cabin bed and the grey cemicircular blob far aft they are both lazarettes.

So the loss of the second aft cabin gives you a U galley pluss extra storage.

But as George says its guided by your family considerations and whats available.

The brown blob starboard opposite the dinette is a wooden storage cupboard (which is full of food!) is often a sofa in other brands of boats or sizes...

Funnily enough not all options seem to make it to the manufacturers website so it pays to know the layouts.
And then find the one you want.
That is sure easier on a production boat where there are hundreds in each run. There must be a few of what you exactly want... somewere!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 00:02   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
As long as the galley is on the port side where it belongs it's fine for me. I see many "linear" designs where you have the back of the "center" couch to help you and indeed a strap is always possible.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 00:16   #14

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

That is a nice looking layout for a couple with occassional guests.

Too many designs seem to forget that you need storage, plus decent fuel and water tanks (preferably in the centre of the boat and on the centreline) plus space for additional gadgets like watermaker, generator aircon etc.

But I still dont see where you can fit a Jacuzzi
Old 17-09-2009, 00:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
But I still dont see where you can fit a Jacuzzi
I'm single so perhaps I should remodel the interior to suit my needs. A big round bed and jacuzzi, large fridge for beer and a can opener instead of a galley

If you do have a 3 cabin boat wouldn't the storage problems be solved by removing the mattress and converting it to a store room. With the two cabin layout, the bedroom crosses over the centre line, but with the 3 room the aft cabins meet at the centerline, so you could potentially store anything heavy closer to the centerline for better balance.