Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:53   #1

Kirie Feeling 286 Special

Hi all from malta.. anybody owns, or owned a feeling boat?.. am looking at 1, and would appreciate feedbacks.
Thanks.
jezko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09   #2
Lol

Re: Kirie Feeling 286 Special

Hi Jezko,
Thought someone better get back to you!

I have a 286 Special, owners variant with the shaol draft wing keel, and have sailed her for a season now on the east coast of England: they are rare boats over here, but many are found in and around the med., and in charter fleets. Most of these will have twin aft cabins....

The 286 designed by Gilles Vaton, boasts his bulbous stem that also went on the Kelt 8.5/850/29.
The engine is situated (Volvo 9 or Yanmar 18hp)under the saloon table driving a short shaft to a 2 bladed prop abaft the keel. Brilliant for access, and more space in the aft cabin(s). The owners version has a single aft cabin, which is HUGE for such a boat!. The boat has more opening hatches than you can shake a stick at - brilliant for ventilation! The whole boat has a very spacious, light and airy feel to it. The single cabin/owners version has a largish heads, and a proper forward facing chart table. The charter version has a smaller heads and a smaller, though perfectly adequate aft facing chart table. There is a "Breton" berth forward of the bulkhead which will accommodate 2 small adults or children. fuel and water are underneath, with the battery box close to and forward of the engine. Access to everything is excellent.
These boats sail very well, and have a bit of the racer in them, and although masthead rigged, have swept spreaders and are very "tweakable"!.
The shoal keel is heavier and longer than the deep fin in some effort to compensate, but the ballast ratio is a light 31%. However, the boat has good form stability and stands up to her canvas pretty well, although you may wish to start reefing at around 15knots true? I have sailed mine in 30 knots and largish seas without concern. There is a You Tube video of an 850, the 286s predecessor, crossing the North Sea in a F9
The forefoot is fairly flat which means she will slam in a short chop, but that is pretty much the only downer I have found to date. An excellent, comfortable, surprisingly quick, well thought out family coastal cruiser or club racer.

Hope this is not too late to be of help??
Lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol View Post
Hi Jezko,
Thought someone better get back to you!

I have a 286 Special, owners variant with the shaol draft wing keel, and have sailed her for a season now on the east coast of England: they are rare boats over here, but many are found in and around the med., and in charter fleets. Most of these will have twin aft cabins....

The 286 designed by Gilles Vaton, boasts his bulbous stem that also went on the Kelt 8.5/850/29.
The engine is situated (Volvo 9 or Yanmar 18hp)under the saloon table driving a short shaft to a 2 bladed prop abaft the keel. Brilliant for access, and more space in the aft cabin(s). The owners version has a single aft cabin, which is HUGE for such a boat!. The boat has more opening hatches than you can shake a stick at - brilliant for ventilation! The whole boat has a very spacious, light and airy feel to it. The single cabin/owners version has a largish heads, and a proper forward facing chart table. The charter version has a smaller heads and a smaller, though perfectly adequate aft facing chart table. There is a "Breton" berth forward of the bulkhead which will accommodate 2 small adults or children. fuel and water are underneath, with the battery box close to and forward of the engine. Access to everything is excellent.
These boats sail very well, and have a bit of the racer in them, and although masthead rigged, have swept spreaders and are very "tweakable"!.
The shoal keel is heavier and longer than the deep fin in some effort to compensate, but the ballast ratio is a light 31%. However, the boat has good form stability and stands up to her canvas pretty well, although you may wish to start reefing at around 15knots true? I have sailed mine in 30 knots and largish seas without concern. There is a You Tube video of an 850, the 286s predecessor, crossing the North Sea in a F9
The forefoot is fairly flat which means she will slam in a short chop, but that is pretty much the only downer I have found to date. An excellent, comfortable, surprisingly quick, well thought out family coastal cruiser or club racer.

Hope this is not too late to be of help??
Many thanks for your reply.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58   #4
Lol

So what model did you get??????
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09   #5

Quote:
So what model did you get??????
The 286 special.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10   #6

The only thing that really bothers me, is the huge noise out of that engine.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51   #7
Lol

Being in the saloon, the engine is a bit noisy, and neither the Volvo nor Yanmars are the quietest around. Good insulation in the box, aligned shaft and good bearings, adjust valve gear and check injector (s). That's about all there is...but as the boats sail so well......
The advantages of the engine in the saloon, outweigh any disadvantages in my book.
For instance, weight in the centre of boat, freeing up space in the aft cabin(s). Excellent access/short shaft/no p bracket/ well protected prop.....

Disadvantage...a bit noisier maybe......

Hope you enjoy the boat, where are you sailing?
t
Old 12-12-2012, 13:03   #8

Quote:
Being in the saloon, the engine is a bit noisy, and neither the Volvo nor Yanmars are the quietest around. Good insulation in the box, aligned shaft and good bearings, adjust valve gear and check injector (s). That's about all there is...but as the boats sail so well......
The advantages of the engine in the saloon, outweigh any disadvantages in my book.
For instance, weight in the centre of boat, freeing up space in the aft cabin(s). Excellent access/short shaft/no p bracket/ well protected prop.....

Disadvantage...a bit noisier maybe......

Hope you enjoy the boat, where are you sailing?
t
Very true.. its extremely spacious for its size.. i will follow your advice re the engine, however i was thinking of replacing it in the near future, to sthing more powerfull, and more quite. Dunno what model would do the job yet.
As regards to sailing, i am still a newbie, and still got that "capsizing" fear!..hehe..
I am located in malta.
Old 17-12-2017, 15:35   #9

Boat: Kirie, Feeling 286 Special, 8.76m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezko73 View Post
Very true.. its extremely spacious for its size.. i will follow your advice re the engine, however i was thinking of replacing it in the near future, to sthing more powerfull, and more quite. Dunno what model would do the job yet.
As regards to sailing, i am still a newbie, and still got that "capsizing" fear!..hehe..
I am located in malta.
Hi, bit late but was wondering if any of you guys are still with your boats as I also purchased a 286 last year...

Thanks Sean.
GibraltarSean is offline   Reply With Quote