Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-03-2015, 19:18   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Ketch without mizzensail

I see an arch, not a davit. Perhaps it's just the poor quality picture. The whole thing need to go with the generators mounted forward of the mizzen.

Old 26-03-2015, 19:25   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Crapontheback needs to go!
I was going to say it looks like a ketch with crap on the back but you beat me to it. All of that junk can either be done away with or moved. There seems to be more and more wanna be sailors who keep adding more and more junk and make their sailing vessels motorsailors or just plain motorboats.

Just my opinion but I think a sailing vessel should not sacrifice it's sailing ability in order for dinghy davits, junk on the back or for electronics.

Old 26-03-2015, 22:55   #18

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
If you keep that setup you should add a water slide to it.
*smirk*

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 23:39   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

With my Ketch I can sail it quite well without the Mizzen, as I've been doing because my Mizzen sail is currently out of action. BUT, if you have a Ketch, then to compromise the purpose of having a Ketch seems a bit odd.

And as others have said, that monstrosity looks 'monstrous'.

Ketch's are beautiful looking vessel's as well. There's extra cost of course. But you seem to have some of the extra cost without the benefit.

Mine also has Davits on the Pushpit and solar panels. The boom for the Mizzen crosses the front of the panels by about 50mm.

I think having a pleasant looking vessel is essential, but that's just me. If you feel the same, then turn the Mizzen back into what it's meant to be and redesign your pushpit to accomodate all that 'other stuff'.

And just a word of warning about Davits on the back, I loose some of my view with my tender hanging off the back. Not ideal in my opinon. Better having a good view to see out the back.
Old 27-03-2015, 15:23   #20

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'

Thank for everyone's response. Definitely going to have make some changes to use the mizzensail.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-03-2015, 15:33   #21
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
And we don't mean to be harsh, but anybody that would do that kind of thing to a boat... would probably do other horrible things. Like re-wire the boat with cheap wire, or screw things in that should be bolted, or not sealing screw holes in weather, etc.

If you intend to sail you will have issues without your mizzen. I can post a pic of our setup, but if you look around the marina you're in, my guess is you'll find plenty of examples of ketches with stern davits AND mizzen booms.

Allow me to add the harshness then: that previous owner should be arrested and the Contest taken from him; charged to pay for restoring the boat to proper order plus have his forehead tattooed with a message explaining that this man may not own a boat ever again
Old 27-03-2015, 15:33   #22

Boat: Nicholson 38

You should also consider your mizzen to be a heavy weather sail, a vital necessity if you get caught out. (And that means it should be constructed to withstand that).
Old 27-03-2015, 15:39   #23

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
And we don't mean to be harsh, but anybody that would do that kind of thing to a boat... would probably do other horrible things. Like re-wire the boat with cheap wire, or screw things in that should be bolted, or not sealing screw holes in weather, etc.

If you intend to sail you will have issues without your mizzen. I can post a pic of our setup, but if you look around the marina you're in, my guess is you'll find plenty of examples of ketches with stern davits AND mizzen booms.

Agree with the above - nothing worse than an incompetent let loose on a sailboat - I'd assume many unseen horrors and adjust the price accordingly. My ketch doesnt like going about without the mizzen up to balance the rig (on a light wind day with only main and genoa the only way to go about is to run off and gybe - add the mizzen and it goes about as normal), and she certainly doesnt go upwind anywhere near as powerfully without it - if the boat was designed as a ketch it needs all its sails
Old 29-03-2015, 11:02   #24

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Move one wind gen to the top of the mizzen, redo the arch and davits to get the miz sail back and use the money you get for the other wind gen to buy a big solar panel for the newly redone davits.............. just a comment
Old 29-03-2015, 11:27   #25

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Move one wind gen to the top of the mizzen, redo the arch and davits to get the miz sail back and use the money you get for the other wind gen to buy a big solar panel for the newly redone davits.............. just a comment
A very practical suggestion with compromise (retaining and reusing some of the offensive gear).
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 13:59   #26

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'

Great idea. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-04-2015, 15:01   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

That's a heap of carp...I am one who likes to to work on boats.... But the seller would need to give that boat away...ketches are elegant and effective. If you obtain the vessel (I won't say buy) tear that Carp off there and return her to o sanity.
Old 09-04-2015, 14:09   #28

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

For the sake of your sanity you need both sails on a ketch. I had an Irwin 37 ketch and the sail configurations are fantastic, I now own a 35' Pearson Sloop, no where near the option or the fun. (its a heck of a lot faster though!)
Old 09-04-2015, 15:11   #29

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
A very practical suggestion with compromise (retaining and reusing some of the offensive gear).
I have an even better suggestion... shove the wind gens up someone's back side ... hopefully you won't like them. Windgens are not a useful addition if you cruise = downwind sail. Get solar panels

Tags
ketch, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: