Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52   #1

Ketch rig

Hi Im restoring a Bruce Roberts m43 ketch, this is my first sail boat as all my previous have been motor, to be honest I haven't got a clue about sailing but planning of having lesson prior to pulling up any flappy things!!!
My question is, how does the ketch work? Does the mizzen boom stay in one place ie centre to the vessel or does it require moving side to side? The thing is I have a track on the deck but no other gear, should I have anything??
Many thanks. Andy
Jiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 13:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Ketch rig

try googling "mainsheet"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 13:11   #3

Thanks for your reply!
Just googled it but isn't that all to do with the main sail??
Old 04-04-2013, 13:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggers View Post
Thanks for your reply!
exactly the same system for the mizzen,just called the mizzen mainsheet
Old 04-04-2013, 13:26   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, it's the mizzen main sheet. Just like the mizzen main halyard and mizzen traveller. Don't let the foot get too loose with the mizzen though, better pull the outhaul a bit more in.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 13:36   #6

Thanks! So what would be the best set up? On the deck I have a track bolted to the deck, in the cockpit I have 2 winches for the main sheet and on the port side behind the main winch I have a smaller winch which has a handle/lever and also a double clutch block, is this for the mizzen?? How would you set either direction if its on the port side? Should a winch be on both sides?
Old 04-04-2013, 13:38   #7

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler

Wow, you have a lot to learn, but thats the fun of it all. I was where you were and just bought some books and magazines and began. I taught myself to sail from books using a Sunfish and just kept going from there. Your boat has lots more systems but they all use the same principles. I have often thought that if I get a bigger boat, I'd like it to be a ketch.

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 13:53   #8

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

My question is, how does the ketch work? Does the mizzen boom stay in one place ie centre to the vessel or does it require moving side to side?

Booms are dangerous! Well advised to checkout those books that someone mentioned! Here's a guy who has done away with his booms altogether:

My Sailing: Boomless Sailing
Old 04-04-2013, 14:01   #9

thanks Kevin glad others have been in similar!! As I have said I've had lots of motor boats this is my first sail yacht, bit of a culture change although size is smaller than what what had in the past. I'm planing on learning dingy sailing then getting someone to teach me the sails on jiggers.
Jiggers is a project and hopefully be in the water by the middle of next summer. I've done lots of welding on the deck and am now thinking of deck gear more than learning yet so what I really need to know is what's required. What set up should I have on a 43 ft yacht?
Old 04-04-2013, 15:37   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

There are devices called boom gallows: they are used to secure the booms so that they will not flabber around so violently. Not cheap or simple but good to have! Saves using main sheets too!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 15:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
thanks Kevin glad others have been in similar!! As I have said I've had lots of motor boats this is my first sail yacht, bit of a culture change although size is smaller than what what had in the past. I'm planing on learning dingy sailing then getting someone to teach me the sails on jiggers.
Jiggers is a project and hopefully be in the water by the middle of next summer. I've done lots of welding on the deck and am now thinking of deck gear more than learning yet so what I really need to know is what's required. What set up should I have on a 43 ft yacht?
just a simple U welded to the deck works fine,with a 4to1 purchase to the boom.KISS
Old 04-04-2013, 17:29   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Since you have no mizzen sheet gear yet it is a great opportunity to design your own. The public libraries are full of books about sailing and I'd recommend a day or two there just browsing to see which book you might want to check out or buy.

The other option is to go to the local marina and find someone with a ketch and ask them to show you their mizzen sheet rig. You'll learn a lot from them.

My ketch had a separate winch on the mizzen mast that was used to trim the mizzen sheet. Padeye on the aft end of the boom, sheet led down to a block on the traveler, then led to a block on the aft end of the boom then along the boom to a turning block at the forward end of the boom down to a small winch on the mast with a cleat just below that. You can rig yours however you like.

Once you've mastered the art of sailing I hope you'll fly the mizzen staysail at every opportunity. It is a great sail that folks who own cutters and sloops just never get to use.

kind regards,

Tags
ketch