Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 08:14   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Ketch Advantages/Disadvantages

Sounds like a Berckemeyer design. I envy you!

Matt

[QUOTE=Dockhead;2947192]What would you think about a ketch with a proper deep bulb keel, large roachy mizzen (that is, significant % of mainsail size), masts far apart, fairly high aspect rig, fairly light (
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21   #32

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Ketch Advantages/Disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Sounds like a Berckemeyer design. I envy you!

Matt
I looked these up because I'm not familiar with them, and I must admit that I see a lot of cool boats on their site.

But of particular interest, for something quite different but perhaps very, very, practical (in the bigger size range) was this:

Berckemeyer Yacht Design | plans for modern and classic sailing yachts

https://www.yacht.de/yachten_jollen/...gt/a84501.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.berckemeyer-yacht.de
"Pilot Saloon Schoner, modern hull lines, lifting keel , opt. long range offshore Motor Yacht. FEATURES: modern aluminium hull, small sails, low draft, fall dry in tide waters, 5500 l fuel capacity, opt. long range motor yacht, pilot saloon with: roomy galley, 2 guest cabins, owner area with 2nd cabin
That really might appeal to someone envious of catamaran style salon and galley up designs, but still ultimately wanting a monohull. I think it looks pretty great actually for such a big deck salon, and the view out of there looks pretty fantastic to me either in high latitudes or in the tropics.

I didn't study the whole boat, and the interior photos look a bit meh, but I give the 'pilothouse on steroids' a big concept wise as the lines look pretty good overall.

Looks like an @Dockhead type of boat to me.

Apologies for the thread jack, but it does still have two masts...

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch