Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 19:14   #16
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Re: KELLY PETERSEN 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
This should not be that hard. If the boat your looking at has a V-birth in the front and in the back IT'S A FORMOSA!! If you look at yachtworld put in Peterson 46 get 3 hits. The 1985 for 165k and the 1982 for 185k. Then there is that 1978 for 120k which is the Formosa and looks Nothing like the other 2. The only way these boats can be mistaken for one another is a side profile shot from a long way away. The second you go inside them they could not be more different in every way. With out making anyone mad here these two boats are like comparing a oyster to a hunter.
Hi Lonestar and thanks for your input, First off there is no such animal as a Petersen 46 . There is only a "Kelly Petersen 46" or a "Formosa 46. Price differences are not a definative way to tell a real KP 46 from a Fermosa ,both have forward v berths and the aft cabins are very simalar . Both came with or without teak deaks and both had nice interiors ,in fact some of the Formosa's interior work was as good if not better then the genuine KP 46 which was built in the posh Taiwan Queens yard. Due to the price variations between the two boats HIN numbers have been altered and changed . There are a number of KP owners who have now realized that they are sailing Formosa's. There are subtle differences that i have been researcing and i will post as soon as i have got all my info together . Both are great boats but the genuine KP 46 are very special there were only 30 made .
www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 19:56   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
With out making anyone mad here these two boats are like comparing a oyster to a hunter.
It's fascinating that the apparent level of literacy among Hunter-bashers is so consistently low.

"Without," when used as a preposition, is a compound word. "Oyster" begins with a vowel; the article preceding it should therefore be "an" rather than "a." Oyster and Hunter, both being proper nouns, should be capitalized.

Mad? No. Amused.
Old 22-01-2013, 05:10   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Tom, I don't know if you have been able to spend time on both the 46 Peterson (or Kelly Peterson if you need both words) and the 46 Formosa but I have. I don't see any way they could ever be confused for one another. On the Formosa I had to bend over at the waist and low craw to the aft stateroom. On the Kelly Peterson the walk throu is much taller. These are just two different boats the ones I know all have teak and the fit and finnish of the Formosa is just lower in every way, kinda like a hunter (that's for you Bash) but still true. The fit and finnish on the Kelly Peterson is just so fine inside its more like a work of art. Fare fewer squared off corners more rounded corners, just a better built boat. The Formosa 46 was a copy of the KP46 and like all copies once you spend any time on the real thing the copy sticks out like a sore thumb.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:09   #19

Boat: Stevens 47
The F46 was a copy of KP44 not KP46.
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 21:25   #20

Bash, lighten up, you made me think of my high school english teacher from a half century ago. We reafered to the bitter old maid as bird legs. Thea is correct in that the F46 was a copy of the KP44 without paying royalties to Doug Peterson. I dont think the KP 46 was in production at the same time as the Formosa 46. The KP 46 that I googled was listed at 295K$ and was a real Gem, but I dont see any way that it is worth 3 times what a KP44 or Stevens 44 or F46 is worth. If you dont have buckets full of money, then the best bang for the buck is to find a KP44 or F46 that has been well maintained and upgraded and use the extra 150K$ for cruising.____Just another opinion,____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 19:20   #21

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

The KP44 was, originally, better constructed. It also has a cast-iron keel encapsulated in the hull while the F46 has iron chunks embedded in concrete surrounded by fiberglass. I know of no F46 or KP44 that has had a problem with the keel.

There are two easy ways to tell the difference.

The KP44 has a teak veneer fitout while the F46 has solid wood.
The KP44 has a vertical row of carriage bolts to secure the aft chainplate; the F46 has
a round stainless terminator plate.
The KP44 has chainplates that pass through the deck and are bolted from the inside; the F46 has chainplates that pass through the cap rail and are embedded in the hull (bad news)
The KP44 is 44' overall; the F46 is actually 45' long.

If a broker is trying to pass off a F46 as a KP46; they are totally different boats, much newer and of a different design below decks. Look at www.kp44.org for deck layouts. The KP46 has a large round dinette on the starboard side. Dinettes on the KP44 and F46 are to port.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 20:34   #22

Re: Kelly Peterson 46

The revival of a year and a half old thread. I am still curious what the OP (TOM) discovered, and if he bought the boat??????? ____Grant.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:11   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^Grant,
He bought a boat. He has no time for CF, he's too busy!.

Pacific Voyager,
Nice post. The OP's probably long gone, but I hope he somehow sees it: it would have helped. Thanks for the effort.

Ann
Old 12-09-2014, 09:56   #24

Thanks Ann, I hope he is busy mixing Mai Tais in a warm anchorage. Do you happen to know which version of the Peterson it turned out to be? I am sure he is in love, no matter which builder it was. ______Grant.

Tags
peterson